PDA

View Full Version : Some facts about cable

clit-eastwood
17th August, 2008, 02:26 AM
Just some advice here to help people with some answers about cable.....
As long as your cable feed is connected, you do NOT need to subscribe to ANY package whatsoever, why pay vm for a package you are not gonna use? some people on here seem to think you need to have a package from cable to get a signal down your cable, the fact is, if your cable is connected, there will always be a signal, unless that cable gets physically disconnected. The cable that supplies your broadband or tv does NOT carry any electric whatsoever. I hope this clears a few things up and also helps a lot of you save some money. Happy viewing.

aftermath
17th August, 2008, 09:22 AM
We dont like to be talking about ripping VM off, i always recommend paying something to VM even if its for a basic package, now if everyone took that attitude and decided to pay nothing, then i am afraid VM would be no more.

The forum is about learning what our recievers can and cant do, and not about Ripping VM off.

Its more for Educational purposes..

clit-eastwood
17th August, 2008, 12:10 PM
The forum is about learning what our recievers can and cant do, and not about Ripping VM off..........

I get your point aftermath, and it's a very good one, without vm our boxes wouldnt work. BUT, someone paying for basic package, and then recieving ALL channels IS ripping them off, dont you agree? Why on earth would someone go and buy, for example, a eurovox just to get fta channels?
The point i was trying to make, is the fact that some believe you HAVE to have a package or your box wont work, i was just explaining this is not true. I will apologise now if i have offended any vm fans

aftermath
17th August, 2008, 01:09 PM
no need to apologize mate.

your entitled to your opinion.

I say its better to be paying something as opposed to nothing.

clit-eastwood
17th August, 2008, 01:35 PM
Ok mate point taken

thommo
17th August, 2008, 02:41 PM
people who dont pay min subs are scum freeloaders, if no one pays for min subs then theres a chance vm will go the same way as ondigital (itvdigital).

and im entitled to my opinion and i wont change that or be drawn into tit for tat posts about it.

.: JaCkPoT :.
17th August, 2008, 02:46 PM
thats true mate. and i fully agree that if no1 gives a little bit of money to VM then it will defo go bankrupt and may even leave us with nothing so id rather pay a little and keep the service up and running. no1 payed ONdigital coz it got hacked and that left them bankrupt within months. had ppl give a little bit of their dosh then maybe they would still be here 2day.

ruprect
17th August, 2008, 07:22 PM
When I moved into my current house I was already connected up and used it, they sent a few letters looking for business (never saying I was already connected, looking for new business).

A few months on they physically disconnected me. We did without cable for a few months, interestingly the offers from them got better and better each time.

Ended up with a really good deal, they installed lots of points very cheaply, but also charged no extra per month for these points (they usually do)

I have basic digital which I do not really need but it is only a little extra than standard analogue. Also if you have a digital package then they have to make sure you have a reasonable signal strength for the decoder to work.

Also I like to have the subbed box to verify it is not a signal issue if things go wrong.

I fear if I cancel by digital sub they might start charging for the extra points.

I think what I pay is fair for what I get. My proper sub box gives me probably 30 channels or so. My other box gives me 30 channels that I actually watch ;)

I would definitely not subscribe to the dearer packages, so in that way I do not see them losing money to me (e.g. I did not cancel sports/movie packages). Also if they did knock out the boxes I would probably change companies, so in that way they have a (partially) paying customer just because of the fact their system is "hackable".

Dazza
18th August, 2008, 03:12 AM
I pay VM plenty each month, usually about ?50+ each month, what with Phone, internet, mobile and Basic TV, and I honestly don't have a problem with doing that. But as said above, once they knock out our linux boxes, I'm off, VM will no longer get a penny from me.

I think it's only fair to pay a wee bit for their service which we all enjoy TBH...

shady77
18th August, 2008, 09:04 AM
Totally agree with all the posts stating it is better to pay Vm something.
clint mate, sooner or later vm DO turn off the line if there is no active subscription, maybe you get 6 months of free tv, maybe a year, but trust me they DO eventually unplug it. When I moved into my new house, a live feed was there and I decided to get a chipped modem and a digivox. all good for roughly 18 months, "they'll never find out" I thought until hey presto 1 day everything was gone. you see when people have a service from VM, all their details go into a computer, when and if they move, they tell vm that there is no need for a signal at that address any more, same as if they just stop paying. the computer software at VM alerts Vm to non-payment and the card/broadband is the first to go. they dont make a special trip to your junction box to unhook the feed, but believe me , next time that they are routinely there, they WILL unhook it.
I believe your post may be lulling people into a false sense of security as I myself was lulledinto by my own arrogance "they'll never find out" the longer they leave the feed before turning it off is more annoying as you get used to having free tv then like me you may have to explain to your 5 year old daughter why she can't watch playhouse disney any more:bawling:
anyway thats my rant over.
PS I know this now because of my experience and a mate at work used to work for ntl.

clit-eastwood
18th August, 2008, 01:11 PM
Just to point out, im not a "free loading scum" i pay for my broadband. I think this is a very shady area as far as getting free services go....how many people do you think have say for example, eurovox,? and how many of them are getting channels they are NOT paying for? are we all freeloading scum? hmmmmmm.

As an ex engineer i know for a fact, vm dont charge a monthly fee for extra points. UNLESS you have extra boxes connected to them, the charge is for the box, not the iso on the wall or the cable. Vm dont send engineers out to disconnect people who have moved house, as other people may move in and it saves them money to leave cables connected, rather than having engineers running around like headless chickens, disconnecting and reconnecting. I have disconnected cables, but only because on RARE occasions, there have been no spare taps in the pit or cab, (depending on your area you may have cab or pit).
I also believe in freedom of speech, but it seems i have upset a few of you with my remarks, that was NOT my intention, i was merely pointing out, that you dont HAVE to be subscribed to get a signal.... and i repeat "I DO PAY VM FOR MY BROADBAND".

shady77
18th August, 2008, 01:55 PM
i was merely pointing out, that you dont HAVE to be subscribed to get a signal....

I concede that the above is true... however, it sure as hell helps :)
and i'm not calling you a liar clint, but in my experience, they do indeed disconnect cables.

mark015
18th August, 2008, 02:53 PM
pay them summit ffs.11quid for a fone line no big deal:celticscarf::champions:

aftermath
18th August, 2008, 05:00 PM
thread closed, all points taken, and to stop further insults.

Devilfish
18th August, 2008, 06:18 PM
There was no reason for this thread to get out of hand the way it did.

clit-eastwood thought he was doing good by offering the information then going by what the replies where probably could have worded it better.

Name calling and personal attacks I won't tolerate!!! We don't need it and I won't have it here!