PDA

View Full Version : How to learn?

Rousie
7th February, 2018, 09:36 PM
Right, well, it's time to ask some questions to whoever would be kind enough to help me.

I've already had a browse through the Tuning 101 Thread, which has been quite a good read so far.

I've been wanting to learn more about ECU's & Car tuning for quite some time now, and i was at a stage in my life 4-5 years ago where i was in a position to put aside some time to do this, but then SUPRISE... along came Marriage and a baby, plus i got a promotion at work, and never really had the chance after that. Coming from a technical background, i've always had tuning and various vehicle ECU's in my mind, because i have the need to know HOW they work, HOW i can access them and HOW i can make them work better for me.

I've spent my life in the service industry, so have knowledge of basic mechanics and electrical skills, lots of knowledge of PC's, OS's and various software and programming languages, but never quite "Scratched that itch" that i wanted to.

I'm not looking for a quick fix, or a free map for my car, as i'd rather learn myself and experiment, although my current Audi is a little too expensive for me to get WRONG, albeit only a A6 Allroad 3.0tdi.

I'm ideally looking to be guided in the right direction, like:
- What hardware do i need to start off reading and writing ECU's (Already have Clone Kess V2 & Ktag & Galletto 4 V54 on way)
- What Software packages might i need and how to start using them
- Useful and informative reading about tuning and how to go about it

I'm not interested in remapping other peoples cars with rubbish maps and making money, as i simply don't have the time for it, BUT, i do want to learn and be at the stage where if someone in my circle of family or friends would like something, then i'd be confident in helping them.

Hope you all understand where i'm coming from, and i don't expect to be spoon-fed, but anything will help at all.

Finally, your community on here seems fantastic and i hope i can give back as much as i take.

Thanks all,