PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Firmwire

harry1986
5th November, 2009, 12:14 AM
Can anyone tell me is it possible to flash a PS3 console so you can play copy PS3 Games? If so can you give me the the firmwire to flash thanks

yizzy
5th November, 2009, 12:59 AM
no nothing yet

abdou2978
5th November, 2009, 01:09 AM
you can not

Raven
5th November, 2009, 01:17 AM
I'm surprised you didn't know this already m8, but as others have said, it's not "possible" right now. Hasn't been for 3-4 years now, and I'll bet that if they haven't done it up to this point then it won't be done at all.

People say if the PS3 was hacked it would be a lot more popular, and it would be, but I disagree with the statement intention for 2 reasons; firstly because worldwide the PS3's sales as is are only 7 million units down on the 360 with a year's deficit despite it not being hacked vs the 360 which has a year in hand and was hacked within months - and secondly because despite a surefire sales boost it won't help Sony much if every one of those boost buyers are pirating their games left and right - since that's where Sony mainly recoups it's money spent on making the console (and industry profit) is game sales.

As for Microsoft, they are a totally different beast, they basically rushed the console out the door using cheap parts in a slapdash manner to make a killing which they did and plus they charge in other areas which is where they make their money such as with peripherals like pad chargers and subs like Xbox Live. Plus Microsoft are minted anyway so they can afford to cover for piracy obviously knowing the extra console sales it generates. So piracy isn't so much a problem for Microsoft as it is for the developers not under their banner but making games for them exclusively regardless - so developers like Bioware with Mass Effect 2 would be affected by this - if they hadn't already been paid their bung money from Microsoft to make it worth their while not to port that game to the Playstation 3. Which they were going to do by the looks of things, before the statement was retracted and suddenly it's not coming out on the PS3. Microsoft at it again.....which is why they aren't good for the industry, honestly I've never wanted any games console division to go the way Sega did as much as I wish it on Microsoft but it won't ever happen as they have too much money.

I have no beef with either Sony or Nintendo in fact I respect both companies, but I hate Microsoft. They're pretenders. And they try to monopolize the console gaming industry at every single opportunity they get and they don't care about the consumer at all, people might say neither do Sony or Nintendo and that might well be true but ever since Sony started in this console industry back in the original PlayStation days leading in to the PS2 and even now with the PS3 Sony has always made the effort to give consumers bang for the buck. Always. They earned their spot and I respect them for that - Nintendo is Nintendo and they are console gaming, period. And Microsoft have people by the balls and they exploit that fact let's be honest. They try to monopolize the industry and the only effort I do see them make is in draining their consumers constantly after the fact of their money whenever and wherever they can.

Rant over.

abdou2978
5th November, 2009, 01:48 AM
hello can you tell other

VDO
7th November, 2009, 12:00 AM
now have some mods for PS2 games play on ps3 but for ps3 games no solution for now

chroma
9th November, 2009, 11:12 AM
I'm surprised you didn't know this already m8, but as others have said, it's not "possible" right now. Hasn't been for 3-4 years now, and I'll bet that if they haven't done it up to this point then it won't be done at all.

People say if the PS3 was hacked it would be a lot more popular, and it would be, but I disagree with the statement intention for 2 reasons; firstly because worldwide the PS3's sales as is are only 7 million units down on the 360 with a year's deficit despite it not being hacked vs the 360 which has a year in hand and was hacked within months - and secondly because despite a surefire sales boost it won't help Sony much if every one of those boost buyers are pirating their games left and right - since that's where Sony mainly recoups it's money spent on making the console (and industry profit) is game sales.

As for Microsoft, they are a totally different beast, they basically rushed the console out the door using cheap parts in a slapdash manner to make a killing which they did and plus they charge in other areas which is where they make their money such as with peripherals like pad chargers and subs like Xbox Live. Plus Microsoft are minted anyway so they can afford to cover for piracy obviously knowing the extra console sales it generates. So piracy isn't so much a problem for Microsoft as it is for the developers not under their banner but making games for them exclusively regardless - so developers like Bioware with Mass Effect 2 would be affected by this - if they hadn't already been paid their bung money from Microsoft to make it worth their while not to port that game to the Playstation 3. Which they were going to do by the looks of things, before the statement was retracted and suddenly it's not coming out on the PS3. Microsoft at it again.....which is why they aren't good for the industry, honestly I've never wanted any games console division to go the way Sega did as much as I wish it on Microsoft but it won't ever happen as they have too much money.

I have no beef with either Sony or Nintendo in fact I respect both companies, but I hate Microsoft. They're pretenders. And they try to monopolize the console gaming industry at every single opportunity they get and they don't care about the consumer at all, people might say neither do Sony or Nintendo and that might well be true but ever since Sony started in this console industry back in the original PlayStation days leading in to the PS2 and even now with the PS3 Sony has always made the effort to give consumers bang for the buck. Always. They earned their spot and I respect them for that - Nintendo is Nintendo and they are console gaming, period. And Microsoft have people by the balls and they exploit that fact let's be honest. They try to monopolize the industry and the only effort I do see them make is in draining their consumers constantly after the fact of their money whenever and wherever they can.

Rant over.

Id dissagree with a number of points in this.
Firstly, backup games have been known to run on PS3 hardware as far back as 2007, firmware was released directly following it and the exploit was patched.

As for sony giving "bang for the buck" this comment fairly reeks of fanboyism. Sony have been widely known to use exactly the same strongarm tactics as microsoft, Lik-Sang.com Out of Business due to Multiple Sony Lawsuits (http://www.lik-sang.com/) for instance where they sue a webshop into oblivion or how about installing rootkits to users without prior knowledge or consent? Sony BMG CD copy protection scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal)

or inventing reviewers or even paying off DJ's? Sony's dirty little secrets - Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2005/08/5165.ars)

They are closely affiliated with the RIAA and MPAA so much so that the RIAA president (Cary Sherman) released a press statement in favour of sonys behavior re: the rootkit debacle.

This is all off the top of my head from recent memory, if i went digging around i could uncover piles of dirt from under the rug.

Then take the new PSPgo, theyve completely propriatorised EVERYTHING, from the multipart power adaptor (just begging for a costly replacement due to a fault in any part of the system) right down to a new "special" usb adaptor, when there was absoloutly no reason to persue this course of acrtion other than to shill consumers out of yet more coin.

Dont misunderstand me, im no great fan of Microsoft either but to believe that Sony have consumer best interests at heart is both naive and dangerous.

I cant comment on Nintendo because ive never really researched them (other than the genesis from coin op horse/car mechanisms to "it'll never work" console platform)

Microsoft and Sony ive had on my radar for years due to the sheer sizes of the companies, they produce a diverse array of goods and neither of them seem to have quality in mind.

Raven
9th November, 2009, 09:49 PM
Firstly, backup games have been known to run on PS3 hardware as far back as 2007, firmware was released directly following it and the exploit was patched.

Really well if that's a fact and I'm not so much saying you're lying or anything m8 but where's the release? I never heard anything. As far as I can tell at the very least Sony keep releasing new firmwares to block such hack attempts. Either way this hack you speak of didn't see a proper full on release otherwise it would have been everywhere. And there'd be at least some people out there still using old PS3 firmware to play their backups on. This most certainly doesn't seem to be the case now does it.

As for sony giving "bang for the buck" this comment fairly reeks of fanboyism. Sony have been widely known to use exactly the same strongarm tactics as microsoft, Lik-Sang.com Out of Business due to Multiple Sony Lawsuits (http://www.lik-sang.com/) for instance where they sue a webshop into oblivion or how about installing rootkits to users without prior knowledge or consent? Sony BMG CD copy protection scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal)

or inventing reviewers or even paying off DJ's? Sony's dirty little secrets - Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2005/08/5165.ars)

They are closely affiliated with the RIAA and MPAA so much so that the RIAA president (Cary Sherman) released a press statement in favour of sonys behavior re: the rootkit debacle.

Yeah except I wasn't talking about Sony's music division, besides that's lawsuits that you're on about and not what I was on about at all - I was on about M$ penny pinching of it's consumers after the fact all the time and attempting monopoly equally as often which by the way in the first place is supposed to be illegal - I was also talking specifically about Sony's PlayStation console line of product and you know I was. Same with Microsoft too I was specifically referring to the Xbox360 there as well. So where the hell do lawsuits and music come into this ?!

It's proof positive that Sony's consoles have always been pioneering technology and therefor offered a lot of bang for the buck and history proves this fact - so for you to bring music and lawsuits into this in an attempt to pick apart a rant which in the first place wasn't even open for debate by it's creator (I didn't ask for your opinion or anyone else's) makes me think you're talking about Sony on the whole and purposely avoiding the part that's actually relevant to my rant, notice I didn't say argument, which to be honest makes you look like a Sony hater if anything. So let's not go off topic here, let's stick to the point - focusing solely on the consoles, nowhere else, where do you disagree with anything I said ?

Funny how when anyone DOES have a pro Sony opinion they are quickly called fanboys, I wish that crap would stop, what of all those that love the 360 how come they are never called Microsoft fanboys ? I'll tell you why, because on this site and sites like this one the 360 is twice as prevalent because of the fact that it's hacked so there's more people defending their 360 purchase and that includes being anti Sony simply because the console isn't hacked. That's why.

So sticking to consoles which parts do you disagree with then ? And now I AM asking for your opinion, because as I see it everything I vented was a fact. And that's the real reason you brought music and lawsuits into this, because otherwise you quite simply haven't got a play to make and so bringing music and lawsuits into it was your only way in for an argument.

And no offence mate but you according to your profile there only having a 360 and yet coming in to attempt to pick apart someone else's rant about Microsoft isn't a very smart move to make and most definitely shows you have a hidden agenda that you aren't stating in your post. In other words you're obviously biased regarding consoles to start with. And that's proven in your post as you'd not got a thing to say about what I was actually talking about - which was about Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo in relation to home consoles. Even if I am a fanboy in your estimation, or anyone else's for that matter, first off that's not a fact but for argument's sake so what ? what does it prove ? nothing, 1 thing it doesn't prove is that I'm wrong about anything I say about either console. Besides it's hypocritical for anyone to call anybody a fanboy of anything or to insinuate it because of the fact that we all have our preferences. Mine most definitely is Sony and their consoles and I make no bones about that, but I do have a 360 and a Wii too - so I feel I'm well positioned for an ubiased rant or take on the consoles in question don't you.....

But yeah getting back to it I never said anything about Sony's music division, any lawsuits or the PSP handheld system so quite where they fit into anything I don't know.....I suppose next you'll bring Sony Bravia's into it! lol

Microsoft and Sony ive had on my radar for years due to the sheer sizes of the companies, they produce a diverse array of goods and neither of them seem to have quality in mind.

This sums up your entire post to be fair, both Microsoft and Sony if anything produce great quality - Windows? Xbox360? Xbox Live? the only argument I've got against Microsoft's goods apart from the penny pinching is the build quality of the 360 and nothing more. As for Sony what about any PlayStation? Bravia's ? speakers ? CD players ? If anything I'd say the matter of fact is the complete opposite to your opinion especially for Sony as I and many others relate their products to top quality if anything.

chroma
10th November, 2009, 03:43 AM
The lik sang case was directly from the computer entertainment devision, you know the same people who manufacture and license playstation goods. That being said they're hardly a seperate entity from the rest of the company.

The rootkit debacle came from the same software devision, a music executive would have little to no idea wha a rootkit was or how it functioned.

As for the hack back in 2007 it was a proof of concept and never open to public release. It would only have been usefull to litterate consumers running linux at that point, it was fairly involved required several layers of cracked encryption and running of code that exploited the timing of the interrupts from the 7th cell. As for its usefullness, it was limited at best, 3 titles worked under the exploit which meant as a comercial release it would certainly have failed.

Sony released a patch fairly quickly to alter the way the microcode and kernel interfaced effectively blocking the timing exploit before a more elegant public soloution could be ported.

The only reason i was even remotely interested was because i figured that the code could have been modified to allow access to the RSX and possibly allow me to run some cuda code off it (the RSX is just a less powerfull variant of the NV 7900) i was looking for a soloution to integrate gpu code into a distributed protien folder and increase paralellisation of code, the concept never really got off the ground unfortunately. Shame really as so much more could be achieved.

Interestingly enough the newer 3's dropped support for linux out of the box altogether, no support for optional operating systems, no more backwards compatability, fewer interface options, yeah sony definately has consumer choice at its core.

My profile is irrelevent, it doesnt state that i dont own anything, ive got a long list of hardware that seemed pointless to include, ive had a ps3 in the past but to be fair never really used it to the same degree as my two 360s
Two because 1 is hacked to allow me to port over code from xna (which to be fair is a pretty shitty implementation) and the other plays retail games.

My original ps3 and my wii went to my brother and his girlfriend respectively, for reasons i dont feel need justification.

For the record:
Binatone TV Master 4 +2 (with the lightgun)
Atarri VCS 2600
ZX 81
C16
ZX 128 +2a (with miscelaneous interfaces)
Nintendo VCS
Master System (with the cardslot)
Amiga 1200
Genesis
Neo Geo AES (a fairly recent addition, launch prices where astronomical)
Philips CDi Model 2 (with the optional MPEG decoder board)
SNES
Ps1 (two of, one with the parallel interface the other is an older model that was donated after a dodgy mod)
N64 (with the memory upgrade for perfect dark)
Ps2's (predominantly used for toslinking cd audio nowadays ive got a box load of units with the lenses needing adjusted)
Dreamcast (ive actualy got two of these one with the BBA from lik sang and another with just vanilla serial port)
XGameStation (8bit ARV dev kit, im thinking of investing in a 16bit PIC model eventualy, theyre so much fun to build and tinker with)
A couple of Xboxes laying around gathering dust (x3 modded for XBMC mostly, i got these in part to replace the dreamcasts mainly due to architetural simplicity, it meant i could run more powerful software without the need to cross compile to sh4 and arm)
A pair of 360s
A PS3 which has been donated to my bro
A wii which has been on loan to my bros girlfriend for what seems an eternity (they're still great for gatherings)

Currently looking into aquiring a PC engine to have a play around with and looking for a Saturn to play the copy of Radian Silvergun ive had shelved since i saw it at a car boot sale after i played Ikaruga.

Ive had more in the past but ive given most away, like my old gamecube, my cousin loved the donky konga bongos so i gave her it, i traded my vectrex for the neo geo etc.

Every one listed certainly has its merrits and i couldnt wiith a straight face say that X is better than Y because i understand the hardware involved and the radical differences between each, i know more about the average console and consumer electronics in general than is perhaps sane or safe

My interests dont generaly lay with games, moreso the underlying hardware and how to interface software. This is where i find fault with the ps3, it was marketed towards the dev community as being transparrent and friendly "open platform" only excasserbated by the reports of people running some seriously dense code on them in parallel to achieve some staggering work like the "gravity grid" developed by Dr Gaurav Khanna. I can remember just post launch everyone being excited at the prospect of cheap render farms and being able to perform operations on data on par with supercomputers. instead we got something fairly weak that never lived up to its promises.

As for my "hidden agenda" i have none, i merely dont like to see anyone worshiping any conglomerate, as ive stated its dangerous and irresponsable. I cant say im a fan of anyone who would happily lobby government to sacrifice my rights in order to turn a profit. Sony certainly isnt alone here, i lump hundreds of companies, organisations and quangos in the same boat with them.

As for the comment of "it wasnt open for debate" you dont really agree of believe in that do you? Anything posted in the public domain is widely open to attack, speculation, critiscism, debate and discussion. Irrespective of an authors views to the contrary.

Popularity is not a defining factor of quality, just because Windows, 360's and Live are wildly popular doesnt automaticaly or justifiably make them quality items.
On the contrary ive seen far more operating systems of higher quality fall by the wayside (in my opinion operating systems dont get much better than Workbench, this is nly my opinion though) the build quality of any console is seriously limited not only due to the fact that they're manufactured en mass by the lowest bidder using the cheapest parts they can source and i could pick apart live for days.

The point is there is very little built in todays society with quality in mind, more often than not products are sold "overspeced" sony speakers as an example are seriously bad for this. Even to the point of commissioning custom hardware that consitently fails to meet demands imposed as per the spec sheet.

For the record a monopoly isnt illegal, the actions of an entity once it gains a dominant share however could be illegal under certain laws, this is why competition laws came into being.
GPO for instance (what later became BT) was a government sanctioned "legal" monopoly right here in the UK for decades.
This is by no means a defence of any companies actions, in a free market a monopoly is fairly unhealthy but dont kid yourself into believing its not the single goal most important of any business.

The simple fact is if anyone is pro sony/microsoft/nintendo/sega/dyson/kellogs/biblical dogma/apple whatever then they ARE fanboy's.

The fact is Sony and Microsoft are exactly the same beasts, they both want whats in your wallet and will exploit anything and anyone in order to get it, extolling ones virtues over the other is idiotic at best, neither of them could really care about anyones opinion so long as they generate a revinue from you, your best interests are inconsequential to that end.

Raven
10th November, 2009, 02:55 PM
As for the hack back in 2007 it was a proof of concept and never open to public release. It would only have been usefull to litterate consumers running linux at that point, it was fairly involved required several layers of cracked encryption and running of code that exploited the timing of the interrupts from the 7th cell. As for its usefullness, it was limited at best, 3 titles worked under the exploit which meant as a comercial release it would certainly have failed.

Let's not mince words here, bottom line there is that I was right and it wasn't hacked full on or properly. End of the day it did not see public release in any way, shape or form. Which is the only point that matters there.

The simple fact is if anyone is pro sony/microsoft/nintendo/sega/dyson/kellogs/biblical dogma/apple whatever then they ARE fanboy's.

No they aren't though, because the reason for liking 1 company and disliking another can be and often times is precisely for the way in which they appear to be conducting business vs the quality of their actual output - which is exactly why I like Nintendo and Sony whereas I dislike Microsoft. It doesn't make me a fanboy. Not in the slightest. Succeeding in eliminating the competition isn't good for any business or industry and that's a fact, it's also the reason why Microsoft aren't a good thing for the gaming industry given their cut throat business tactics. Which is another reason I dislike them, it's got nothing to do with Sony Blue vs Microsoft Green for me, which is a fact that true fanboys conveniently sidestep. If it were Sony or Nintendo pulling them stunts I'd be saying the same thing about them too, but they aren't. Because they have the experience to know better whereas Microsoft seem to have more money and advertising power than sense by the looks of things and that's why I don't respect them whatsoever. Whereas Nintendo and Sony have their heads screwed on straight regarding the business and the industry and they earned their places and that's why I respect them. I respect them because they respect the industry and because they earned that respect over the years through consistent quality, whereas Microsoft are the opposite, that's the be all and end all for me.

As for the comment of "it wasnt open for debate" you dont really agree of believe in that do you? Anything posted in the public domain is widely open to attack, speculation, critiscism, debate and discussion. Irrespective of an authors views to the contrary.

Actually when someone is venting their frustrations and they aren't asking a question or asking for help but most certainly don't ask for an opinion in the first place, then for someone to come in unprovoked trying to pick apart the reasons for their frustrations and back handedly call them fanboys in a post that's largely off topic anyway all in a quite feeble attempt for an argument or debate is both disrespectful as well as ignorant, the simple fact is that I have the right to my opinion as do you, though I didn't ask for your opinion at the time and bottom line is you came in swinging without a solid leg to stand on and you still don't by the looks of things based on that life story you just gave only snippets of which are relevant in the first place, despite the fact that I asked you to stick to the point of consoles in relation to your disagreement to the points that I stated, to which end you didn't since you went off on one again about your affinity to console hardware and the fact you gave your Gamecube to your sister - well that's nice but what's that got to do with anything I was talking about or to do with what I actually did ask you to comment on ? Nothing that's what.

Just because I type something here doesn't necessarily mean that it's your god given right to openly contest it, especially when I wasn't asking for anyone's opinion. There's a time and a place for that sort of thing and it's all about choosing your moments and doing it the right way, you didn't. And you've been called on that. You came in swinging without respect and without a solid foot to stand on and it shows, figuratively speaking you got knocked on your ass twice - if you're going to play at super snipers and take it upon yourself to have a pop at me, especially without provocation, then you better make sure you don't miss. And you better believe in your convictions and hope that they line up with reality and that I have it wrong. Otherwise you've no chance. And in the interest of fairness, in the event that I had it wrong as a proven matter of fact in any argument then that person who went up against me would receive an apology because I believe in my convictions all the way, and one of my convictions happens to be in doing things the right way. And respect aswell as integrity is something I hold dearly and something I try to maintain in the world of disrespect and ignorance that is internet forums. Call me insane....but I'm right! lol

chroma
11th November, 2009, 06:59 AM
"Just because I type something here doesn't necessarily mean that it's your god given right to openly contest it"
Of course it is, if i expressed the opinion that "All jews should be gassed." for instance, i would openly expect and be thoroughly disgusted if i wasnt challenged on it. Especaly when its referenced as "fact." Respect has very little to do with this. If i openly and publicly express anything then its exected to be held to scrutiny. Stating "BAAAAAAAAAAawwwwww someone on the internets doesnt agree with my viewpoint and disrespectfully challeneged my rhetoric" is not nor ever shall be a valid defensive position.

If its disrespectful to dissagree with someones opinion then, hell yeah im as dissrespectful as they come and id be openly proud of that fact. People have died and continue to die to protect my "God given right" to do so.

As for the "life story" it was in direct regards to the logical fallacy you originaly infered that because my profile makes no mention of a console i cant possibly have any idea about it.

Your original request for comment was absurd and one that i never took seriously to begin with, "lets keep to consoles only" is a rediculous request. Lets talk about the leg of the beast because the rest of it's anatomy clearly cant exist nor be valid for discussion.
Its akin to saying "i have a veiwpoint that although a man shot another hes not a murderer, based soley on the fact that ony his finger pulled the trigger, the rest of him is justifiably free from the crime committed."
Im at fault here for basing my assumptions on the fact that no one could possibly be this deluded or ignorant.

Each one of your posts in this particular thread shows a horrific lack of reasoning. "bottom line there is that I was right and it wasn't hacked full on or properly"
Of course it was, illicit code was able to run and execute on a limited set of titles, the point that it didnt see public release is moot, the concept was proven and could be emulated across the hardware range, the fact that Wee eddie doon the road couldnt use it to run pirate games is of little or no consequence to the success of the exploit.

"Succeeding in eliminating the competition isn't good for any business or industry and that's a fact" is typical of armchair ornothologists.

You've just stated here that all ravens are black. So therefore anything non black is a non raven.

If i was an XO of a business and i eliminated my competitor then id be inclined to believe that it was very good for my business, you seem to be inclined to pass off as "fact" anything which doesnt fit nicely with your held viewpoint. and this is apparent throughout the course of your postings.

Lets go back to the original posting, specificaly PS3 Sony has always made the effort to give consumers bang for the buck. Always.
Dont worry i'll keep it stricly on topic.
PS3's use technology known as Blu-Ray yes?
From your comment im supposed to believe that this is in order to give me bang for my buck.
Why then does blu-ray require that in order to format shift my copy that i need to pay for the privelidge?
If i want to re-encode a movie to say an mp4 to play on my iphone or laptop to watch on a flight when i would have no access to my original copy and player i first need to pay for a consumer license to transcode the media due to the "managed copy" policy that Sony have put in place and strictly enforced in order for me to have to pay to use my consumer rights?

I mean Sony ALWAYS Give bang for the buck right? where then in this scenario is it?

In fact the only way in this scenario for me to get a copy without paying to exercise my legal right is by downloading it illegaly from elsewhere or by using using an illegal tool to achieve the same result, either of which would place me in breach and open me up to litigation.

So im forced either to pay to exercise my free legal rights as a citizen, or circumvent the system and face litigation in a civil suit, wheres the bang here?

This is only the blu-ray technology in a PS3 thats being spoonfed to me as a consumer and touted as "added value" i could go into others across a number of different Sony platforms and find simmilar or worse faults to back up my argument. but again the rest of the beast cant possibly exist. Yet im still to believe that Sony offer "the bang for the buck. Always." as a legitimate fact?

Raven
11th November, 2009, 12:28 PM
Here we go again.....

"Succeeding in eliminating the competition isn't good for any business or industry and that's a fact" is typical of armchair ornothologists.

You've just stated here that all ravens are black. So therefore anything non black is a non raven.

As far as I'm aware, that's all factual. Even the statement.

If i was an XO of a business and i eliminated my competitor then id be inclined to believe that it was very good for my business, you seem to be inclined to pass off as "fact" anything which doesnt fit nicely with your held viewpoint. and this is apparent throughout the course of your postings.

Well I can tell you now that you've got that wrong. If you're trying to articulate and come across as an eloquent speaker, which having read your posts here in this thread you obviously are trying to do just that, I'll help you out a little bit here, what you meant to say and should have said was this; "you seem to be inclined to pass off as 'fact' anything which fits in nicely with your held viewpoint." Just a small correction for future reference because what you actually typed was incorrect and inaccurate. Like I said before, if you take a pop at me then you better not miss.

"
This is only the blu-ray technology in a PS3 thats being spoonfed to me as a consumer and touted as "added value" i could go into others across a number of different Sony platforms and find simmilar or worse faults to back up my argument. but again the rest of the beast cant possibly exist. Yet im still to believe that Sony offer "[i]the bang for the buck. Always." as a legitimate fact?

Regarding the PlayStation consoles, yes, every single time. The fact that the PS3 is even a blu ray player at all is added value whether you want to admit that fact or not - cast your mind back too, the original PlayStation came out around 1995 and was pioneering technology at the time not to mention the fact it was a CD player too, then PS2 came out around 2001 and it was the same again except it doubled as a dvd player also - and both consoles dominated. Same again with the pioneering technology for the PS3 except this time it doubles as a blu ray player and has a fully functioning web browser right there on the dashboard. And it allows you to copy music, photo and video directly to the PS3's hard drive, so people are able to watch their favorite movies, tv shows and hd rips directly from the PS3 - legal or not, the PS3 allows you to do it right out of the box so long as the file is encoded to work properly in the first place. Not to mention free wireless internet capability right out of the box and pad chargers that come with the console. So yes, Sony's consoles have always offered bang for the buck. Every single time. Fact.

Finally, if you were to take the things that come with the PS3 and buy them seperately for the 360 - so that's wireless internet (I remember them costing a small fortune for the 360 just on their own!), blu ray drive (or hd dvd drive as it were since 360 will never have bluray), XBL subs (year on year), pad chargers and hard drive of at least 40gb by default then the 360 would be a fair way dearer than the PS3 is and that's putting it politely. And it's still lagging behind in terms of technology and reliability. Oh, and this is without making mention of the fact that 360 hard drives only go up to whatever the Elite gives which I think is 250gb tops and it might be less than that - yet I have a 300gb laptop hard drive in my PS3 and can go up to 500gb or even 1tb when they get released later in the year, because the PS3 uses standard laptop hard drives. And with the 360 you simply cannot transfer video files to the 360 regardless, so you are having to rely on discs and streaming to play video on the 360. Neither of which is ideal. So factoring all that lot in, if the PS3 isn't bang for the buck then clearly someone hasn't got a clue....it's just as well then that the PS3 obviously is bang for the buck when put into context.

Not that you'll care but for what it's worth to be honest I think you are just an ignorant Sony hater that thinks he knows the lot, when he obviously doesn't. You thought you were being clever by sticking your nose in and it's backfired on you. That's another opinion which I believe to be a fact. Focusing on the big picture, as you suggested, I think it's that simple.

chroma
12th November, 2009, 11:48 AM
My sincerest apologies for the poor grammar.
A valid way to win an argument none the less, it does away with all those trivial details, like you know, focusing on the debate.
My hats off to you in this regard, far be it for me to stoop to such pettiness. After all everyone knows its not what?s said but the order of the words that?s of utmost importance.

You fail entirely to grasp my argument, after reading through the post you still seem to believe that blu-ray is still some kind of benefit? You seem to have sidestepped the entire point, is marketed as something wonderful without really informing consumers about what it?s really trying to do.
In what sort of twisted reality can someone being stripped of a basic right in order for a company to turn a profit be considered as ?value added?? or even remotely a good thing? It transcends any monetary concerns.

The agenda behind it all is to EXTORT YOU, imagine having to pay every time you want to watch a copy of a movie or listen to a piece of music. That?s ultimately where the entire deal is headed, but go ahead, drink your kool aid and live happily in ignorance until the hammer finally falls.

People seem to have some weird idea that bad things happen over night, it would be nice if they did, people might actually notice things instead of being largely ignorant of the slow steady erosion taking place. Take Hitler, he didn?t just wake up one day in office and ponder over ways to commit genocide, it took years of planning and timing to gain his rise to power, people just slept through that part.

The funny part is that Sony doesn?t ultimately want to use blu-ray as a games distobution system either; eventually everything?s going to be digitally downloaded, you wont have a disk, so wave goodbye to those cheap used game stores and trades. This is already being piloted with the PSPgo (fairly unsuccessfully I might add), Microsoft and Nintendo are headed in the same direction too so don?t think I?m only pointing the finger at Sony.

A situation like this would turn me towards piracy in a hurry, as it stands today I don?t really pirate games(not for 2 generations anyway). I certainly used to back in highschool, but that was the real deal, I actively sold copies rather than play them. One of my 360?s is admittedly chipped (a bitch of a job btw) I don?t even know if it runs backups, I know it runs my own homebrew code though and that?s the reasoning behind it. Once the standard of ?30 for any game regardless of its age and no option to trade it in comes to fruition id happily feel justified in torrenting everything I play rather than pay for it.

Sony? Microsoft? Nintendo? like I?ve stated numerous times, I don?t much care for any of them, far be it for me to be seen as an ignorant Sony hater, there?s a world of difference between distrust and hate by the way, as it stands I don?t trust any of them to hold my best interests at heart or provide me with ?bang for my buck.?

This was my entire point, you seem to have evangelised Sony as something its clearly not, and seem completely unable to see past yourself in this respect, Oooh Microsoft are bad but Sony isn?t. When truth be told they?re all a bunch of amoral greedy bastards. None of them should be trusted to do what?s best for the consumer, sure on the surface they might look all friendly and nice but behind the closed doors of the boardroom they?re an entirely different beast. I certainly cant say with a straight face that one is better than the other.

Raven
12th November, 2009, 02:32 PM
you seem to have evangelised Sony as something its clearly not, and seem completely unable to see past yourself in this respect, Oooh Microsoft are bad but Sony isn’t. When truth be told they’re all a bunch of amoral greedy bastards. None of them should be trusted to do what’s best for the consumer.

Yeah, but I implore you to be realistic here for once, if it was up to the consumer we'd all be getting everything for nothing and nobody providing a service would be getting paid. Shows how much attention you pay because I never evangelized Sony, in fact the statement about them all being greedy I totally agree with and I said that before you even chimed in at all if you care to read properly.

What I have been saying is that Sony and Nintendo aren't trying to cripple the industry for their own ends in attempting hostile monopolies like Microsoft regularly do - which is surely some sort of an infringement of fair trade acts.

Another thing I stated is my disbelief at how you think that the PS3 isn't bang for the buck when it quite clearly is.

My sincerest apologies for the poor grammar.
A valid way to win an argument none the less, it does away with all those trivial details, like you know, focusing on the debate.

If that's not calling the kettle black, then I don't know what is. The only reason I pulled you up on the wording in your statement that I quoted was because it was indeed incorrectly presented and not to mention the fact that it was of inaccurate origin and your whole point and purpose in posting at all in this thread and continuing to do so is to have a pop at me in the first place and don't think I don't notice these things. I knew straight away from the word go what you were up to.

The way I see it to be quite honest is that you're full of it. It's a harsh way to put it, and I apologize for the bluntness, but the evidence is all over your posts. Nonsensical and mostly off topic is what your posts have been regarding my rant and even in the discussion that followed it. It seems that you are talking about an argument that doesn't even exist as we are seemingly talking about 2 different things as you staunchly stick to your largely off topic points, to which end I was not even speaking of in the first place until you stuck your nose in. And to be fair, when you can't get basic wording of sentences correct, especially when you are trying to argue the toss with someone and take potshots at them backhandedly and hope they don't notice while at the same time attempting to come across as all-knowing and articulate, well it tends to prove a point or two.

I need say no more than this to make my point.

Though you are entitled to your opinions and free to state them if you so wish to do so. This is where our discussion ends for my part in it since there's really nothing more to add or to be said or even demonstrated.

At this point if you have anything else to say to me then by all means PM it to me unless you wish to publicly beat a dead horse, because I've made my point.

yaas
12th November, 2009, 07:25 PM
You guys need a life, man.

Therez more to this world that DK, you know.

:ciao: :five:

Lyrrad
12th November, 2009, 08:53 PM
I rather liked it (Am I allowed to say that?)

yaas
12th November, 2009, 09:57 PM
I rather liked it (Am I allowed to say that?)

Good for you,but the guy who started the thread just wanted to know whether the PS3 has been hacked or not.

A simpler answer would suffice.

Raven
12th November, 2009, 10:26 PM
Good for you,but the guy who started the thread just wanted to know whether the PS3 has been hacked or not.

A simpler answer would suffice.

And the ironic thing is you're adding more fuel to the fire and being a hypocrite at the same time. Why don't you contribute to the thread instead of trying to big yourself up at my expense ?!

I think you'll find that harry1986 is happy with the answer he got from me, as were 2 other people. The rest of what I put is none of your concern, and yet is still more insightful and helpful than anything you've been able to muster to contribute to this thread thus far. I'll say it now, anyone posting in this thread just for an argument and not contributing to the thread in any other way can kindly not bother.

Anything on topic to add ? by all means.....posting for an argument ? Save your strength.