PDA

View Full Version : bt black home hub what better for speed

nevicky
5th November, 2009, 06:43 PM
hi i'm on bt's option 3 broadband and live in the ts19 area so apprantly i should be getting around 8 meg but i'm not i have tried the plate thing for the socket which didn't make a difference so i was wondering if anyone knew of a higher speed router i could buy thanks

chroma
7th November, 2009, 05:58 PM
The router probbably isnt the issue tbh.

Whats your attenuation and signal to noise ratio? these are the numbers that will directly affect how much speed you can get.

Attenuation being the major problem in most cases.

Db or decibel is a "logarithmic" scale, that is to say it makes absoloutly no sense lol

Take someone talking and say they have a volume of "1" if you amplify the voice by 3Db then the volume will jump to "2"
Attenuation is the oposite of Amplification, where amplification makes things louder attenuation makes things quieter.

So an attenuation of 6db means the person would be talking at 0.25 instead of 1 (a quarter of the original volume)

To make matters worse attenuation isnt a single number when frequency is involved. some frequencies attenuate more than others which is why cable has an attenuation table per 100ft

The coax to connect your cable or satalite has an attenuation factor of:
100Hz = 2.1/100ft
200Hz = 3.1/100ft
400Hz = 4.4/100ft
700Hz = 6.0/100ft
900Hz = 6.9/100ft
1000MHz = 7.3/100ft

This might all look like gobledygook at this point but you can infer a lot from it.
For instance the speed you recieve is directly proportionate to how far from the exchange you are.
On a more advanced level you can also deduce that using a different protocol might also help.

ADSL2+ operates from 0.14Mhz to 12Mhz, meaning on long lines the 2nd half of the protocol becomes useless, ADSL2 just goes from 0.14Mhz to 1.1Mhz meaning its range is slightly further.

ADSL2 Annex L (someimes called ITU G.992.3L or READSL2) operates UP to 0.14Mhz giving it a lower attenuation factor and therefore more suitable for longer lines again.

The only person who can change any of this is generaly your ISP, unless theyve allowed you to talk to your DSLAM and set your own connection settings.

The downside of reach extended is that although you get more download speed you will trade off upload to achieve it.

gingergool
11th November, 2009, 04:14 PM
Also how long have you had the ADSL service on the line. Mine took over 2 weeks before settling at the 8Mb speed.
Most routers will display you signal quality and sync speed. Post it up and I will tell you what you might be able to get at once it levels out.

Im a Cisco Network engineer for an ISP so I will be able to give you average from what I have seen in the past with ADSL Max.