PDA

View Full Version : DM800 laptop cooler and disable internal fan?

hideous.ape
6th November, 2009, 01:31 PM
Hi all,

Have the DM800 all setup but just need to sort out that annoying internal fan.
So was going to get this: http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MTIzOQ==

Would it be ok to just disable the internal fan and just put the DM800 on top of the Antec cooler?

Regards,
h.a

westkill
6th November, 2009, 05:19 PM
cant see it being a problem
if the internal fan is doing its job leave it
but if not add the laptop cooler as well

hideous.ape
6th November, 2009, 06:56 PM
The problem is the internal fan is very annoying...the high pitch on it ruins any film, etc. Its louder than my Quadcore PC.

Was thinking I could just kill the internal fan and use a laptop cooler to cool it.

Has anyone else turned off the internal fan and just used external cooling?

caveman_nige
6th November, 2009, 07:00 PM
just out of curiosity is your howling DM800 a genuine or clone box?

hideous.ape
6th November, 2009, 07:01 PM
It's a Clone.

The fan is bad though.

5aq1b
8th November, 2009, 03:46 PM
I am going to disable the fan in my clone 800HD as it's louder than my PC and Xbox 360! Also keeps running when on standy. I've ordered a mini netbook cooler from dealextreme for $7 delivered. A mate of mine has it and says its deadly quiet when in your hand but can hear minimal vibrations as expected when on a glass shelf with the dreambox on top of the cooler. The fan does however have rubber feet. Will post back on my experience.

on_the_jazz
8th November, 2009, 04:31 PM
Why not replace the fan with a quieter one? Places like Quiet PC-Quiet PC Hardware-Quiet PC Components-Quiet PC Zalman Products (http://www.quietpc.com/) sell low db fans.
For the record I also have a clone DM800 but my fan is quiet (so far anyway). No box fan has ever been louder than one of the early SkyHD boxes I had.

5aq1b
8th November, 2009, 04:41 PM
Why not replace the fan with a quieter one? Places like Quiet PC-Quiet PC Hardware-Quiet PC Components-Quiet PC Zalman Products (http://www.quietpc.com/) sell low db fans.
For the record I also have a clone DM800 but my fan is quiet (so far anyway). No box fan has ever been louder than one of the early SkyHD boxes I had.

The fan inside is a 30 x 30 x 6 mm. You could probably get away with a 40 x 40 mm fan from quietpc.com but they are all 10mm in depth and that wouldnt fit between the mainboard and the tuner

westkill
8th November, 2009, 05:22 PM
The problem is the internal fan is very annoying...the high pitch on it ruins any film, etc. Its louder than my Quadcore PC.

Was thinking I could just kill the internal fan and use a laptop cooler to cool it.

Has anyone else turned off the internal fan and just used external cooling?
i think its only a 2 pin plug on the main board to disconnect

hideous.ape
8th November, 2009, 08:27 PM
Well this fan is roughly double or treble the noise of my Quadcore PC...its probably just the pitch that actually is the main problem.

The internal fan seems to blow air up through the DM800 and most laptop coolers pull air down so I'm unsure what the best setup would be?

opsmonkey
8th November, 2009, 08:29 PM
i'd go with disconnecting the main fan and running the cooler underneath if it's that loud.. so long as there is airflow over the motherboard all should be good ;)

5aq1b
9th November, 2009, 02:43 PM
Well this fan is roughly double or treble the noise of my Quadcore PC...its probably just the pitch that actually is the main problem.

The internal fan seems to blow air up through the DM800 and most laptop coolers pull air down so I'm unsure what the best setup would be?

this is whisper quiet
DealExtreme: $6.55 Blue Light 2-Fan USB Powered Laptop Cooling Pad (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26947)

and is perfect size for the Dreambox 800HD

hideous.ape
10th November, 2009, 11:27 AM
this is whisper quiet
DealExtreme: $6.55 Blue Light 2-Fan USB Powered Laptop Cooling Pad (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26947)

Cheers for the headsup:top:

Good old Dealextreme:)

dctyper
7th December, 2009, 03:55 PM
how did this go, my fan has started to become noisy

hideous.ape
7th December, 2009, 10:07 PM
how did this go, my fan has started to become noisy

Only got the fans today, Dealextreme aren't really noted for their speed of delivery but for ?8.99 who's gonna argue. Been up and running for about three hours now on a HD channel...no problems so far. I went with the overkill setup of a push/pull so I bought two of these and made a DM800 sandwich:

Noise level is excellent compared to my POS internal fan. Some people got lucky but from day one mine sounded like a high pitched chainsaw or scooter gearing up. With two of these running there is still noise but its at a level and pitch that isn't irritating. Also it provides some cooling to the internal HD if you have one installed.

Only negative is that there is no Off switch for the Blue LED's so I'll probably kill those soon...if you like Blue LED's great but I prefer to look at my HDTV and not blue lights on coolers:)

dctyper
10th December, 2009, 10:02 PM
i bought a fan for 3 quid from pcworld, connected it to the wires, took the old fan out of course. the fan sits on top of the box, its nice and quiet and looks cool with the blue led's

dc

zinediner
14th December, 2009, 11:50 AM
DCTyper

Which type of fan did you purchase from PC World was it an internal one or an external USB one. As i need to get one today.

Also to anyone else as i am at work at the moment. DO the dreambox 800HD have airvents underneath the box. I know they have some on top. Just wondering if they have some underneath. As i am looking at purchasing a usb laptop cooler mat/fan

hideous.ape
14th December, 2009, 02:10 PM
DCTyper

Which type of fan did you purchase from PC World was it an internal one or an external USB one. As i need to get one today.

Also to anyone else as i am at work at the moment. DO the dreambox 800HD have airvents underneath the box. I know they have some on top. Just wondering if they have some underneath. As i am looking at purchasing a usb laptop cooler mat/fan

Ya there's vents underneath.

zinediner
14th December, 2009, 02:12 PM
Cheers for the clarification. Right i shall purchase a usb cooling pad.

dctyper
14th December, 2009, 06:15 PM
it wasnt a usb fan, was a system internal fan. i just cut the wires

dc

a84xr
15th December, 2009, 11:38 PM
this is whisper quiet

Ithink is the best for this job!

theobserver
16th December, 2009, 01:03 AM
I unplugged the fan as it still had the heatsink on the chip and have been running the box for three months without it and it's been working fine..... Try it at your own risk though!

TOBS!

zinediner
16th December, 2009, 11:34 AM
I have unplugged the fan about a week ago. The fan is still in the box though. It just that its gets very hot after a while. Mind you i never used to put it to standby mode, Now i do and this has helped a lot as expected.

I shall order the mat from dealextreme.

Peddersdub
2nd January, 2010, 02:23 PM
I am currently myself looking for a usb fan with blue led's, of course got to have blue led's lol
I don't have hard drive in mine as if does get hot, i don't record anything, i fitted a 64mb pen drive for EPG only internally, i have a clone 800 fitted a gen tuner and picture perfect.
I turn my box off every night, never leave it in standby.
I will keep my internal fan as it is not loud, and box does not get very hot at all, i want extra fans for caution as i find it is the tuner that gets the most hottest and a usb fan would be perfect.
Anyone have any pics of the fans with box as i don't want one that sticks out much bigger underneath than the box itself.
Thanks

HoTTDubbER
2nd January, 2010, 02:42 PM
Hi all,

Have the DM800 all setup but just need to sort out that annoying internal fan.
So was going to get this: http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MTIzOQ==

Would it be ok to just disable the internal fan and just put the DM800 on top of the Antec cooler?

Regards,
h.a

wow if that little fans bugging you you would hate my office .
Due to miss's love with the central heating i have to have many fans 2 keep cool

in my small office i have 7 pcs setup 8 screens 2 dreamboxs and a cable receiver

so u can imagine the heat that is generated along side the radiator on full blast

i also work on quad cores so cooling is essential
i have a 14cm fan on one of my bases and about 4 large fans in the fount and 2 at the bk and thats just one

my server works very hard and does tend to get hot so ive packed about 6 large fans inside that i even have 1 on the out side of the case just 2 pump the air from the window inside lol

its like sitting in a small aircraft with all the noise it makes

but you do you know how you solve the sound problem mate ...

you turn your TV up lol

Peddersdub
8th January, 2010, 03:32 PM
I unplugged the fan as it still had the heatsink on the chip and have been running the box for three months without it and it's been working fine..... Try it at your own risk though!

TOBS!

Best trick i used to quiet the fan noise was simple, remove the sticker from the rear of fan, i put a few drops of slip belt, wd40 or the like will do, on to the center spindle, wipe off excess, guarantee fans smooth and quiet, i can not longer hear mine

adriankoooo
5th February, 2010, 06:42 PM
Yes, the OIL is the solution for the silence! Thank you!

bluebottle
6th February, 2010, 11:21 AM

TOBS!

Me to, the original dosnt have a fan, my clone has a heat sink for extra surface area and I have never had a moments problem :rock:

Hanzo123
21st June, 2010, 12:39 PM
this is whisper quiet

I'm not sure if you use one like above, but if you are maybe you can help me out.

If you have the DB on standby do the fans also stop turning? and led's go out?

southpaw
21st June, 2010, 02:38 PM
usb still powers it even on standby , there is a mod knocking about somewhere , says to take power from pin 8 (i think) of the scart lead , as this powers down on standby

redout
21st July, 2010, 10:28 AM
Chap in Birmingham selling D800/D600 coolers for ?12 with free shipping.

I ordered one - just waiting for it to arrive.

Dreambox cooling fan cooler base dm800 HD K?hler Pad on eBay (end time 30-Jul-10 17:41:47 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dreambox-cooling-fan-cooler-base-dm800-HD-Kuhler-Pad-/170507239596?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item27b30600ac)

the man
21st July, 2010, 11:19 AM
Chap in Birmingham selling D800/D600 coolers for ?12 with free shipping.

I ordered one - just waiting for it to arrive.

Dreambox cooling fan cooler base dm800 HD K?hler Pad on eBay (end time 30-Jul-10 17:41:47 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dreambox-cooling-fan-cooler-base-dm800-HD-Kuhler-Pad-/170507239596?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item27b30600ac)

look just like the one from the pound shop ! not joking

redout
21st July, 2010, 01:50 PM
look just like the one from the pound shop ! not joking

I havent seen the poundshop one but this one comes with a stand so the box can be tilted up or down.

the man
22nd July, 2010, 11:16 AM
I havent seen the poundshop one but this one comes with a stand so the box can be tilted up or down.

yes, i think its the same, could pm the ebay seller and ask the make/model of his one

octocfc
30th September, 2010, 07:53 AM
Hi All,

Anyone got any more ideas were to get a good fan for the DM800 HD ???

Got a replacement from ebay the other day but it was worst than the original one i had. The seller keeps saying its not ...

Any help will be much appreciated.

westkill
30th September, 2010, 08:00 AM
i got one of these the other week expensive thou lol
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220592231554&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT)

octocfc
30th September, 2010, 08:56 AM
Any Good ???

How quiet it is ???

westkill
30th September, 2010, 08:58 AM
i cant hear it lol all fans i think make a bit of noise after a while at that price i just buy another lol

lombard
30th September, 2010, 09:37 AM
i got one of these the other week expensive thou lol
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220592231554&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT)

Mines gone loud, is it ok to buy the laptop cooler and dissconnect the internal fan, wont overheat ? also i aint got hdd in mine,

Thanks

nanny
26th February, 2014, 08:15 PM
you only need to put a drop of wd40 in the internal fan, i did and no more noise twelve months on.

andy91
26th February, 2014, 08:25 PM
Took one out a mates box the other day you could see where it was catching. He said it was very noisy. Ive never found the need to use a fan on my boxes.

Andy