PDA

View Full Version : network address

mcmasterg
20th August, 2008, 10:58 PM
hi
just hooked up my new router i am getting on the net no problem through my pc which is also running through my router (modem router router pc) but when i try and go online on my laptop it shows the router (tp-link) and signle is strong but it will not let me on the tinternet keeps looking for a network address anyone had the same problem:banghead:

beady
20th August, 2008, 11:22 PM
Can you describe your setup a bit more. It sounds like you've got two routers connected to each other. Is the PC really going through two routers before getting to the modem. Which router is the laptop trying to connect to wirelessly. I'd guess it's a network conflict (maybe both routers are operating on the same subnet, 192.168.1.x? so they're messing each other up). Could also be DHCP on both routers is interfering. It's interesting your PC is working though. Post your setup and we should be able to fix it.

Curious123
20th August, 2008, 11:23 PM
You might want to say what model of router so someone can guide you through the installation. If it is saying that it is trying to acquire an ip address
than you may want to check that you have set your router up with DHCP so that it can issue an ip address also have you secured your router?

mcmasterg
26th August, 2008, 12:12 AM
ok the router is a tp-link as for setup modem to router router to static pc no problems there getting on to internet but when trying to get online using the laptop no joy i have set it up telling it to find ip is this wrong and sorry i am a bit lost when you are refering to DHCP what i this i will also secure the router and conection when i can get online. what came in the box the router and power pack thats it. internet provider is virgin(who have been no help)i hope that is enough info as am stuck.

Thanks very much in advance any help most welcome

boodykaka
30th November, 2008, 10:11 AM
Can you post your PC ip address?
You can do this by clicking on the start button then clicking on RUN then type cmd
this will open the command promt then type ipconfig then click on the enter button

Your ip address shopuld be a Class C ie starts with 192.
the subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0
and also the default gateway should start with 192.

A7mag3ddon
1st December, 2008, 05:49 PM
Sorry to butt in guys bt i have some info on this problem, if its allways trying to acquire a network address then you get the yellow triangle that says limited or no network connection then its possible its your winsock thats been corrupt.

search in google for winsock fix xp, should be version 1.2, run it and that should sort you out.

BigMall
4th December, 2008, 08:37 AM
Good idea to check the wireless security settings as well, make sure MAC address filtering is OFF until you have got it connected and configured.

conorc
20th December, 2008, 04:38 PM
ok the router is a tp-link as for setup modem to router router to static pc no problems there getting on to internet but when trying to get online using the laptop no joy i have set it up telling it to find ip is this wrong and sorry i am a bit lost when you are refering to DHCP what i this i will also secure the router and conection when i can get online. what came in the box the router and power pack thats it. internet provider is virgin(who have been no help)i hope that is enough info as am stuck.

Thanks very much in advance any help most welcome

Get the network details from each computer (desktop and laptop):
Go <Start> <Run> and type "cmd" (no quotes) and press <OK>
In the new window type "ipconfig /all" (no quotes) <ENTER>
Copy the details for both computers, and post them here (they really shouldn't contain any private info)

That should tell us what's going on, and make the solution MUCH easier!