PDA

View Full Version : Iphone 2G wifi repair pls advise

jumbopants
10th November, 2009, 09:16 PM
Purchased my iphone 2g direct from UK apple over the internet around 2 years ago. Since day 1 I have always unlocked the phone and jailbroken myself and have never activated via itunes which would have taken me into a 18 month o2 contract.

I've been on firmware 3.0 for quite a few months with no problems, but I've noticed in the last few weeks I'm having major problems with wifi not showing any available networks..Then when it does find a network it disconnects before you can even bring up google/check weather /stocks etc..

After much research I've discovered that lots of 2g users have had the same problem, it appears that the 3.0 firmware over a period of time fries the wifi chip. to test this I put it in the freezer for 5 mins to lower the temp..Prior to going in the freezer no networks found, as soon as I had taken it out found network with full signal and worked for abount 8-10mins until warmed up and lost signal+network again.. I've also now updated to 3.1.2 fimware + jailbroken but still the same..

My question is, if I take it into apple and ask for a repair (i know it's gona cost me) will they still fix the wifi problem, as it's never been activated in itunes.. OR if I activate in itunes will it see that it's never been activated before and start the 18 month contact ? I have no problem making it legit + activating in order to get it repaired but no way want to enter into a 18month contract..

Really would appreciate some advise prior to taking to Apple to fix..

ianmac
11th November, 2009, 02:24 AM
A new antena will cost you around ?35.
:wink:

Antenna (http://www.appleiphonerepairs.co.uk/Apple-IPhone-2G/Antenna.html)

But I have unlocked 3 iPhone 2g phones now & sorted the WIFI problem by going into:
Settings - General - Reset - & Reset Network Settings.

It should sort out the WIFI problems on ver 3.0 & above..

Hope this helps

Ian

jumbopants
11th November, 2009, 07:22 PM
Nar.. I think I've just about tried everything..incl. going up and down the firmwares + the first thing I tried was Settings - General - Reset - & Reset Network Settings..

Must be the wifi antenna as as soon as I take it out of the fridge it connects first time with full signal until warmed up then it will not even find the network..

If you have already replaced the wifi part could you point me in the right direction as to where to buy the part + instructions...

If I give it to Apple to fix do you think I'll have to make the phone legit first by activating for the first time ? plus will this start a 18month o2 contract ?

Cheers in advance for any help...

ianmac
11th November, 2009, 10:14 PM
Nar.. I think I've just about tried everything..incl. going up and down the firmwares + the first thing I tried was Settings - General - Reset - & Reset Network Settings..

Must be the wifi antenna as as soon as I take it out of the fridge it connects first time with full signal until warmed up then it will not even find the network..

If you have already replaced the wifi part could you point me in the right direction as to where to buy the part + instructions...

If I give it to Apple to fix do you think I'll have to make the phone legit first by activating for the first time ? plus will this start a 18month o2 contract ?

Cheers in advance for any help...

I have not replaced the wifi antenna in an iPhone b4, only on a Pda.

I posted a link to a site to buy an antenna in the previous post, have another look & click on the blue wording >Antenna<

Ian