PDA

View Full Version : Audio descriptions on Sky movies

chinkoblinko
23rd August, 2008, 01:56 PM
Hi,

I have noticed that when recording a film from sky movies on the timer it seems to add some strange audio voice over that describes everthing that is happening on the screen like some sort of voiceover for blind people.

Does anyone know how to turn this off as it is very annoying!! It has happened on more than one occasion.

Many thanks

Russ:dontknow:

Devilfish
23rd August, 2008, 02:27 PM
Do you get the narrator when watching the channel normally?

Press the red button, you'll get an audio box pop up with 2 audio streams to choose from, usually audio stream 2 is narration free. You only get the choice on programmes that are audio described.

If it's only with a recording, I found this advice by Lincsat on another forum, thanks Lincsat. :)

This is how to edit the audio channel using the UFL editor on your PC, it should also work with the Eurovox MAX.

You will need a Null-modem cable and your Box connected to your PC. Run the UFL (Unified Firmware Loader) program and at the bottom in the channel data section, click browse and enter a name like backup.cdf and click save, now click upload and the program will upload a copy of your channel list to your PC - keep this safe as a backup.

Now click browse again and enter a name like edited.cdf, save and click upload again. This is the copy of the channel list we are going to mess with. Click edit at the bottom and the editor window opens, on the top left corner there is an icon of a satellite, click the + next to that to expand the transponder list, now clicking on each frequency will give you a list of channels on that frequency. In the box on the right, highlight any channel that you have heard the Audio description on - EG BBC3, BBC4 etc then click the Audio button at the bottom of the page, channel that can use A/D will display 2 entries in here, click on the top one to highlight it and then click delete and OK. Repeat this for all channels that you have heard A/D on, when finished click the SAVE button at the bottom of the page, then exit from the editor. Now download that channel list back to your Eurovox and you should be rid of the Audio Description permanently.

If you should have happened to delete the wrong audio track and some channels don't have audio at all or still have A/D, then take a COPY of your backup.cdf file and try editing again but delete the OTHER audio setting on the channels that you got it wrong on and repeat the procedure for deleting the main audio setting on the channel that it worked on. and download that to your box.

chinkoblinko
23rd August, 2008, 05:20 PM
It only happens when I record! I will give that a go and let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help!!

chinkoblinko
25th August, 2008, 07:27 PM
Hi Devilfish,

I have noticed that I get the audio description when watching the channel normally too! I have pressed the red button and nothing happens, and I have tried deleting audio files via the UFL, but nothing seems to work!!

Does anyone know any other ways of turning this off as it is doing my head in!! I have the eurovox ex5000 and downloaded the firmware form this site.

Cheers

Russ

satsmo
26th August, 2008, 12:28 AM
You need the latest firmware which is 1.1A and then the red button will allow you shift between audio streams.

chinkoblinko
26th August, 2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks mate.

Do you know how I can download the latest software? i have tried to download it from the downloads sections but its a strange file that my computer doesn't recognise. The last update I used was in a zip format which I can use.

Does anyone know where I can get the latest file from in a zip file?

Cheers

Russ

satsmo
26th August, 2008, 01:24 PM
Winzip will still unwrap a winrar file. Or just google winrar and use that if you like.