PDA

View Full Version : YOU REALLY REALLY NEED TO READ THIS...

Johnner
11th May, 2018, 01:03 AM
Hi all,

It appears that there is an endemic problem with this particular forum..

People are breezing in here...throwing a file in...want it done while they're having a coffee,providing very little to no information about it,and just generally having no common manners about it...

Then,on occasion,throwing a hissy fit 20 mins later when no-one has edited the file for them

These people have generally a considerable "Please help me" post count,with no working relationships with anyone here....ie...they're not prepared to help other people out when they need it

From here on in,these types of posts will be binned,and if that member persists with these types of posts...they will be booted from this Site

I think it's only fair that we should all expect some level of reciprocity here...ie....I scratch your back..you scratch mine ?

Guys,it's a community that works both ways for everybody...not just take,take,take

Best Regards

davecooper47
12th May, 2018, 12:56 AM
Hi all,

People are breezing in here...throwing a file in...want it done while they're having a coffee,providing very little to no information about it,and just generally having no common manners about it...

Then,on occasion,throwing a hissy fit 20 mins later when no-one has edited the file for them

These people have generally a considerable "Please help me" post count,with no working relationships with anyone here....ie...they're not prepared to help other people out when they need it

From here on in,these types of posts will be binned,and if that member persists with these types of posts...they will be booted from this Site

I think it's only fair that we should all expect some level of reciprocity here...ie....I scratch your back..you scratch mine ?

Guys,it's a community that works both ways for everybody...not just take,take,take

Best Regards

Here here.

I for one have been less involved on this forum because of this. On peer to peer sites they call it leeching!!! I have spent thousands of pounds on equipment over the years and spent many hours teaching myself and learning algorithm's etc. Only to see people with a £50 piece of kit, constantly post dumps on here and ask other people to basically do all of the work for them and more often than not someone does. In effect I could be helping someone on my doorstep take away earnings from me, and probably have. Now before helping, I look at the member's contribution and location. If their contribution is negative and location is not stated or deliberately ambiguous I will not get involved. This rule is not before time.

Well done Johnner.

koyot
12th May, 2018, 09:53 PM
admin maybe too late
I already know many beginners who have worked long in this way
and I think infinite help only my help my dpf egr tunig immo freeeee only and only freee

dave share your opinion

b.r all real dk member

davecooper47
23rd May, 2018, 11:28 PM
admin maybe too late
I already know many beginners who have worked long in this way
and I think infinite help only my help my dpf egr tunig immo freeeee only and only freee

dave share your opinion

b.r all real dk member

I will still help people who I think are not freeloaders. But a lot of the time it’s hard to tell. People withholding their location etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nicolas9
24th May, 2018, 03:04 AM
why not make location mandatory?

hoangtu
24th May, 2018, 03:58 AM
I totally agree! We share is good, but some members just want to get help without helping anyone! a little urgent!

pierre renault
24th May, 2018, 08:11 AM
Hi, why do not you create a forum just for you all four?

dziuggy
26th May, 2018, 06:19 PM
I do agree with most points you make, especially annoying are the posts with insufficient info and title - "help" :))

However i am also fairly new here and haven't contributed that much, and it is not because I don't want to, there are multiple reasons for that, some of witch i will try and explain.

I personally work on motorcycles as a hobby, and I have learned quite a bit here, but it took me a lots of research and help of other members (thank you!) to even learn some things, a lot of times when I asked questions it was hard to get the answers and one of the answers was - "you don't need to know how it works, just ask for help and we will help you"

So there are definitely people who prefer keeping their knowledge to themselves, so how a new guy who doesn't know much about this can help if info isn't shared with them?

Another point I want to make is time spent here, it seems that there are some people that spend a lot of time here and help a lot of people so most of the posts are answered very quickly. So in my situation it is very unlikely to stumble upon post that I can help with and that no one offered the solution on it yet - since bike questions are not that common. I don't think it is fair to expect people just sit on this forum refreshing it to give help before someone else does.

that said I try to post what I can - i.e. if i can't find powerup and trace wiring diagram myself, I always post the solution. And I always try to follow up on my requests so everyone knows what works and what doesn't.

and lastly would you really want all the newbs trying to help? most of them that do seem to download tachosoft and offer generic "mileage is stored....." solution and these don't work a lot of the time.

So my question would be would you really want this forum overun by newbs trying to help without proper knowledge?

Or maybe this forum should be for professionals only and normal people should not be allowed here?

Personally I think the answer is in the middle, newbs helping = bad, and if only pros were here than there would be no reason to help anyone since they would know everything themselves.

So yes there are a lot of leechers, but some people don't mind helping and I personally do not see the problem with that.

So to sum it up, why is this forum here? To help all or for group of pros to hangout and chat? It is up to everyone to decide I think.

however i would be all for standardized posting format that would require relevant info.

regards!!

esx503
6th June, 2018, 08:39 PM
I do agree with most points you make, especially annoying are the posts with insufficient info and title - "help" :))

However i am also fairly new here and haven't contributed that much, and it is not because I don't want to, there are multiple reasons for that, some of witch i will try and explain.

I personally work on motorcycles as a hobby, and I have learned quite a bit here, but it took me a lots of research and help of other members (thank you!) to even learn some things, a lot of times when I asked questions it was hard to get the answers and one of the answers was - "you don't need to know how it works, just ask for help and we will help you"

So there are definitely people who prefer keeping their knowledge to themselves, so how a new guy who doesn't know much about this can help if info isn't shared with them?

Another point I want to make is time spent here, it seems that there are some people that spend a lot of time here and help a lot of people so most of the posts are answered very quickly. So in my situation it is very unlikely to stumble upon post that I can help with and that no one offered the solution on it yet - since bike questions are not that common. I don't think it is fair to expect people just sit on this forum refreshing it to give help before someone else does.

that said I try to post what I can - i.e. if i can't find powerup and trace wiring diagram myself, I always post the solution. And I always try to follow up on my requests so everyone knows what works and what doesn't.

and lastly would you really want all the newbs trying to help? most of them that do seem to download tachosoft and offer generic "mileage is stored....." solution and these don't work a lot of the time.

So my question would be would you really want this forum overun by newbs trying to help without proper knowledge?

Or maybe this forum should be for professionals only and normal people should not be allowed here?

Personally I think the answer is in the middle, newbs helping = bad, and if only pros were here than there would be no reason to help anyone since they would know everything themselves.

So yes there are a lot of leechers, but some people don't mind helping and I personally do not see the problem with that.

So to sum it up, why is this forum here? To help all or for group of pros to hangout and chat? It is up to everyone to decide I think.

however i would be all for standardized posting format that would require relevant info.

regards!!

Great point. I'm rarely here and I do ask for help on things I'm stuck on. The majority of the time everyone helps with whatever troubles I'm having. Same deal with me I do this on the side and can't really help anyone but as DZIUGGY said by the time I get to a post op has already been helped. Maybe the ones who need help can contribute to the forum financially I really wouldn't mind paying for accurate info myself if it helps my cause make it donation based. I can't remember what forum did that but I knew I couldnt contribute any other way so I had no problem giving back. just my 2 cents

ascrap2003
9th June, 2018, 06:25 AM
Get rid of the bastards, its the guys that come in and out and dont appreciate the help and dont share in return etc. I know I maybe aint that much help but its because im busy, am still learning or by the time I see a thread I cant help because Nikz, Clusters, Dr etc are already all over it.

With thats said I see many guys that come in get what they want and leave without even a thank you. I have a feelng its those same idiots that charge crack head prices and are destroying the bizz.

Because you guys are too kind and give freely therefore they dont really put in any work! Many guys on here "wont mention names" are fed up with it. I have learned to share any experience I learn with a few select guys that help me and others in return but I DM them.

Want to fix Kaos? Ban them, make it private and by membership only. Thats just my 2 cents it would make it easier for us and benefit us I believe.

BTW i DM because I dont want to share my experience even if its minimal with someone who doesnt appreciate it or deserves it! Just speaking my mind, sorry if it offends

pierre renault
9th June, 2018, 10:44 AM
what ugly words should be ashamed of, maybe years ago they were greatly helped and now wants to banish who is initiating. This section is ugly.

jomberykaso
17th August, 2018, 08:44 PM
Well done Johnner.

Meat-Head
2nd September, 2018, 02:07 AM

My location been displayed almost as I got here

jodank
21st November, 2018, 06:18 PM
Hi guys!
I really appreciate does somebody opened this question after so many time.
This is a real problem in every community "who added more and who earned less...".

I moved from DK for several years because I found another place where I paid for my
my account and other members are also paid and that is the goal I think.

As told before, so many guys are coming here and on other free for registration forums and just ask "give me!".
In a community should exist pros, beginners and the middle layer of technicians, but that "weekend car hackers"
should be somehow filtered out.

I think, there should exist something like:
If I post a request for help.
That's ok.
But there should be a "MUST HAVE" section in my post, where I describe
what everything I have tried, done, figured out etc. but without any success.

I would say, if a post is a request for help, without a description what was tried or done before the
poster is screaming for help, that post should be binned and the poster should be warned with let's say: 1. Yello, 2. Red card and out.

I also saw situations, where many users posted an answer just for testing his solution before he tries out, does it actually works.
This is not ok I think so.
etc. etc. etc.

But, that filtering would take many hours of moderation, and the admins would overwhelm.

I think, there should be a paying system and that would withhold those users who just ask, ask, ask but no help.

Maybe I didn't should talk about this here, but I wish to stay here with people who are in some meaning normal.
Who is willing to help as, I am too, and I also wish to pay to a solution because there are so much effort and equipment
set into to get the solutions...

The location should be "Planet Earth" I decide to set that location because I'm really a tellurian.
I don't care from which country is somebody and that doesn't bother me.
Location makes no sense I think because we are all from Earth and use the Internet to connect with each other.

Meat-Head
21st November, 2018, 10:53 PM
Only advantage on location would be time zone
eg member fallen in Oztrailaniala land so 12 hours ahead

here in m/c on uk london time

evss
11th December, 2018, 06:06 PM

ok just to address this point in the uk altering/repairing dashboards is still a very grey area I understand the reasons for not wanting to fully disclose a location , ie knock on the door and being taken away by the boys in blue uniforms. months of being without confiscated equipment (if you ever get it back) fines and jail time . I think most folk have there immediate circle of fellow correctors they speak too either through this great forum or by phone if a problem arises. thank you Tam :).
however sometimes its nice if you get a strange problem to look at a forum and maybe share it in case others have come across it , occasionally a fresh perspective solves a problem.
I know with my post count I may be classed as a part timer that's because im semi retired having been in this business for longer than I want to remember.
many times ive gone to post and then rereading what ive typed thought better of it , we all help as much as we can or try too.
as regards leeching well that happens everywhere , one thing that can annoy is when someone keeps posting wanting 10k or 25k and so on on the same dump we all make mistakes but I have seen several posts with maybe 5 or more mileages required in the posts and I really feel that some of you have the patience of saints when responding to them.

all I can say is it is up to all of us to maybe have a little more give and maybe less take and to keep up the good work:)

and merry Christmas all

gtdfd
21st December, 2018, 10:31 AM
Regarding the help of newbies, how can I help you if I'm a noob? How will my lineage help me? People from other countries do not help))) Guys, do not be offended by my words, but you yourself created this forum like this. Users no longer ask. They order to change their projects. Of course, they will not stay on the forum, because they do not even want to understand this, but for those who need help, you can help only by doing it yourself, afraid to tell their secrets. sorry if I offended someone. I did not want this

spantor
21st May, 2019, 01:32 PM
Well, I understand that it is a problem to be giving information to users who only ask and do not give anything in return. I do not consider myself that, I ask a lot, it's true, but I've also tried to give my point of view by responding to some messages from other users within my knowledge and what I've learned here. Actually, if I had to pay a fee to be in DK, I would gladly pay it, even if only for the good that many members of this forum have done with me. Knowledge is power, who has power chooses to share it or not. After all, everything is reduced to altruism.
Shortly I will open some post about ECU of motocicles, some works that I have done myself. It is the most I can contribute, in the world of dash I am very new.​

VeryFastSnail
2nd June, 2019, 11:46 AM
I agree to op. I’m fresh member, but I value this comunity and the knowladge it provides, people who just try to gain money from others work deserves ban. In my mind we have to work as a team and having those acational post when user just post dump with one sentence “pls, help, my car odo is bad” have to stop. I see this as a problem and I think that only fresh users or newbies do this.

Sugestion: maybe limit posting for newbies...

pierre renault
3rd June, 2019, 08:33 AM
[QUOTE = VeryFastSnail; 3591325] Concordo em op. Eu sou membro novo, mas eu valorizo ​​esta comunidade e o knowladge que ela oferece, pessoas que apenas tentam ganhar dinheiro com outros trabalhos merecem banimento. Em minha mente, temos que trabalhar em equipe e ter esses posts quando o usuário apenas postar com uma frase “pls, help, meu carro odo é ruim” tem que parar. Eu vejo isso como um problema e acho que apenas usuários novos ou novatos fazem isso.

Sugestão: talvez limitar postagens para iniciantes ... [/ QUOTE]

VeryFastSnail ,you could be the first to be banned

jomberykaso
3rd June, 2019, 08:47 AM
...............:hmmmm:

VeryFastSnail
3rd June, 2019, 08:50 AM
[QUOTE = VeryFastSnail; 3591325] Concordo em op. Eu sou membro novo, mas eu valorizo ​​esta comunidade e o knowladge que ela oferece, pessoas que apenas tentam ganhar dinheiro com outros trabalhos merecem banimento. Em minha mente, temos que trabalhar em equipe e ter esses posts quando o usuário apenas postar com uma frase “pls, help, meu carro odo é ruim” tem que parar. Eu vejo isso como um problema e acho que apenas usuários novos ou novatos fazem isso.

Sugestão: talvez limitar postagens para iniciantes ... [/ QUOTE]

I try to give something to this comunity.

Meat-Head
3rd June, 2019, 06:15 PM

I try to give something to this comunity.

Eh rules state no flaming new members, and from what I see very fast snail seems quite decent and useful new member

spantor
3rd June, 2019, 08:29 PM
Come on guys. We know perfectly well that few users of this forum have authentic good knowledge. I study vehicle electronics but this world changes constantly, even more if they are programming jobs.
I think the exchange of information in this forum is very important. Help us could avoid possible "damage" in poorly done jobs. The knowledge that some members have could be valuable to others. However, if I agree that users from time to time help and comment in the forums, if the reason to be here is simply to gather information, I think it is better not to be.

johnnyh33
30th September, 2019, 07:19 PM
If people ask for help on this site to help them fix cars so they can make some money then it seems fair enough that the helpers make a few quid at the same time.

can that be set up or not? maybe a poster asks for help and 3 people are allowed to bid for the 'job' and the 'noob' takes the best offer and pays for his help.

i'm a 'noob' and i would be happy to pay for anything that helps me make a living.

XmoDDeR
3rd October, 2019, 01:35 PM
First two posts 5 stars , and the reason i went ghost on the forums. But its great more work in RND new hardware software methods etc. Well to the greats cheers.

Jamaly
8th November, 2019, 04:55 AM
Hi im a newbie to site and forums in general,
Have read through this thread and i do understand where you guys are coming from as have read few other threads and it does seem people demanding info and not really participating i recently have starting venturing into car softwares and brought smok as been recommended as one of the better machines to use.
What im saying is not everyone new is just here for that one specific thing

jomberykaso
30th January, 2020, 11:44 AM
Hi all,

Best Regards

You are right but try to apply what you are talking about here.....because there are a lot of leeches here even "veteran" leeches.

Dk team (adm, moderators, etc ) don't apply all rules here, they only edit the posts when someone put his email there . (No addys ).... I think I could do a good job or a better job in this great forum.

I have nothing against you Johnner.

RadovanPetkovic
25th July, 2020, 10:54 AM
I want to praise this Forum and support it to survive as long as possible. I learned a lot from him. But by reading a lot and putting the dice together. This job is constantly being learned and little literature is mostly learned from experience. And someone doesn't want to share the experience because they all learned like my children when I give them something to read and learn. They say: tell me briefly. Because they learned to get everything quickly and immediately. It took me many years to learn something and I do not do this profession professionally. But I’m a big hobby Electronics Engineer. I repair electrical appliances very well. I try to transfer my knowledge, so I write a post. I hope I'm not embarrassed ....
In essence, the forums provide knowledge in parts and one job can be done in several ways, which is correct?
My opinion is that it should work as follows:
Someone who needs help: Must upload the original file with the correct printout. How he read it, what tool, what type of car, all the data from the sticker of that part. And only then can he get an explanation of how to do it with which programs, emulators, calculators .....
And if he fails like that, he can get a dump as an aid.
In this way, new (inexperienced) members are forced to learn, share their experiences.
So if they fail as an aid they end up getting a file or a dump.
This will drive away those annoying ones who are just looking for dumps.
For professionals who charge for their work every day, it is normal to have a membership on professional sites. Until we amateurs become professionals, we must seek help ... and give thanks

Short posts should be avoided. Experienced members find it tedious but often lose their essence.
It took me a long time (years) to figure out what, how, where .... all the information was in small pieces. That is why it took a long time for everything to settle down and understand the essence. And I just scratched the surface ....

kampot
30th July, 2020, 07:27 PM
it's in worse in "airbag" forums

canoaslan
19th August, 2020, 03:38 AM
As a new member, I must say the value of the free info on this site is, cant even be mesured. it has helped me understand and learn so many things in programming, and now knowing what its worth, ill be more than happy to pay a membership. Ive never uploaded a dump and asked for it to be modified, It just seems too easy, I always want to know why and how it done. I have downloaded dumps and have been able to work out how to modify certain files just by comparing them. The down side to membership only is, the forum just wont be able to get data from newbeis, or one timers, as they would not pay for info, or to ask for a favour. This forum has immense knowledge, and it wouldnt be that big, if it wasnt for free. If a one timer is asking for a dump to be modified, there are 2 reasons. They are doing it on their own car, or customers car. either way its worth money for them, including me. I think its a good idea, for the person modifiying the file, helping them finish the job off to get paid. I think the turn around would be much faster aswell, it will stop them from bitching why its not done instantly. About the police finding you because you have your city posted in this forum? Thats a looooooong shit. even her in Australia, cops dont have the recources for that, I know this because my brother is one. They have real things to use there time on. Even if they did, how can they narrow it down. and most of the time, its a calibraation anyway, whats wrong with that ;)

hcip
19th August, 2020, 05:10 AM
I am not always on this forum now, just visited a little time and gone, no asking help and not throwing help at this moment...

How could you feel if your hardwork getting here for free, and it will sell on your friend?

mtekk1
23rd August, 2020, 03:38 AM
I am also a new member here. My second post was on a cluster from a Malibu. Not really looking for help but wished to open up some discussion on this Global A module. I want to learn how to do this not have someone do it for me!

canoaslan
16th September, 2020, 07:39 AM
Im the same, I want to know how or why its done a certain way. Unlike the guys that are on here only to.attach a dump, and have it done and never be seen, until i need a nextdumbWhat I found is, the guys are more than happy to, modify dump.and do it for you. But no one wants to talk about, how its done. Is it just me, or.has anyone else expirienced it.

efodela
23rd November, 2020, 08:56 PM
Guys this is the future and as meek as it seems people come here and don't contribute, take knowledge and leave is all part of the reason forums exist.
Once you are a pro I understand its hard to see newbies just come here and behave anyhow.
But remember almost 90% of everyone here know what they know because of the free availability of information. You can't decide to make that non-existent because "now" you know it all.
We need to keep up the good work to keep this alive for the new and younger generations.
There will always be the leeches.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

DigitalChaotic
7th January, 2021, 11:42 AM
If i can help a always will. Sorry till now i could offer no help to anybody here. Now i am her to see if i can. But some people are so fast with helping other people. That makes this forum really great. I understand you'r thinking, and i felt a bit guilty even before your i read your message. Be patient for me, as soon a can i will help because that gives normal people like me :ambivalence: good feelings.

autoremaps
10th January, 2021, 01:44 AM
well put dave , i feel the same - its our living here

gpemporium
7th October, 2021, 03:11 PM
I respect the motion Johnner - I must admit I am guilty of flying into this forum seeking answers - I will try to change this type of behavior on my part - I also give anyone who wants it or requests it my direct message for help, so I will be notified immediately. My line of work is conversion from metric to US standard. Its not a common topic but I still will ask for help as needed. I apologize for the in and out behavior, and as always anyone who needs my assistance can message me directly.
Happy vibes from Michigan

r6eck
28th November, 2021, 10:24 AM
I've been about here for quite a few years and freely admit I've had more help than I've given. I would love to be able to help more but I'm not nearly as skilled as the main guys who are the central core of knowledge here and pretty quick to answer and help.
Its a shame that people are less likely to help now ,but totally understandable.
I hope the forum can continue as the great place it is.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

womblerulz
26th December, 2022, 10:37 PM
im new to this .. been in motor trade way to long... and i dont mind helping other as long as they appriciate my tech help... if people want to know about bike racing and building the odd bike for bsb and TT racing ive done abit of that too but now off work with health issues ,waitinhg on nhs sorting me out .. so now messing with my long term projects again