PDA

View Full Version : PD130 EDC15P MAF-MAP switching question

Marge
13th May, 2018, 07:29 PM
Hey,

I have a Golf MK4 TDI PD130 EDC15P

It s currently stage 1 tuned with little to no smoke.

Today I have switched from MAF to MAP sensor and adjusted the MAP limiter to suit but is now badly smoking but still drives well.

What is the cause of this and what needs adjusting/calibrating to reduce the smoke back down?

Thanks http://forums.tdiclub.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

morgano
13th May, 2018, 08:46 PM
Just fill MAP based smoke limiter with right calculated numbers.

Marge
13th May, 2018, 11:52 PM
I have increased the MAP limiter to suit the tune but it still smokes

The only thing I can see being the issue is the MAF smoke limiter being controlled by airflow mg and MAP smoke limiter would be by boost pressure which of course be different so there surely needs to be a recalibration with this?

morgano
14th May, 2018, 08:08 AM
If it smokes you are allowing too much fuel to enter before there is enough air to burn it properly. The more you increase MAP based smoke limiter the more smoke you will get. Try lowering it. Or calculate it to 17 afr and it should not smoke.

((EngineCC/4) * (Boost/1000)) / 17

That will give max value to each column in map based smoke limiter.

Marge
14th May, 2018, 03:27 PM
Yes I have done this correctly.

calculates to 71.25 so have set limiter to 71

It's where the MAF is limited by airflow 300 to 1051 and MAP is limited by boost pressure 800 to 2000. Will these changes of control axis have an effect at all?

morgano
14th May, 2018, 05:07 PM
That 71.25 mg would require 2.55 bar boost on 1.9 tdi engine or 2.42 bar on a 2.0 tdi engine.

If your map axis only goes from 800 to 2000 then you have your answer why you get smoke with 71 iq.

Rework the axis to your new boost numbers and populate the map correctly using the formula i posted for you.

Marge
14th May, 2018, 10:40 PM
Yes that would make alot of sense. I will try this out and let you know

Marge
15th May, 2018, 08:04 AM
So when changing MAF to MAP sensor, does this change the X axis on the smoke limiter map from airflow to boost pressure data?

morgano
15th May, 2018, 10:37 AM
So when changing MAF to MAP sensor, does this change the X axis on the smoke limiter map from airflow to boost pressure data?

No.

The MAF based smoke limiter is then out of order, you need to find and correctly populate MAP based smoke limiter. They are two different maps, but close together.

Marge
15th May, 2018, 11:16 AM
No.

The MAF based smoke limiter is then out of order, you need to find and correctly populate MAP based smoke limiter. They are two different maps, but close together.

Ok so reworking the MAP based smoke limiter to become the new smoke limiter? Re calibrating the boost pressure axis and IQ data?

Image attached

I appreciate the help

morgano
15th May, 2018, 11:20 AM
Yes, exactly.

Rework that map X axys to suit your boost needs and populate the map data with calculated numbers.

Marge
15th May, 2018, 11:34 AM
Yes, exactly.

Rework that map X axys to suit your boost needs and populate the map data with calculated numbers.

Awesome I understand now!

I will test and report back

Thank you :)

Marge
15th May, 2018, 06:35 PM
Awesome I understand now!

I will test and report back

Thank you :)

This worked perfectly thank you for the help

morgano
16th May, 2018, 07:32 AM
Nice. Glad it worked (in benefit of planet) lol

Fec001
17th May, 2018, 01:26 PM
Can you tell me what are the benefits when u use MAP smoke limiter instead of MAF on EDC15? Or is it only necessary when MAF reach measurement limit?

Marge
17th May, 2018, 04:57 PM
Nice. Glad it worked (in benefit of planet) lol

of course lol

Can you tell me what are the benefits when u use MAP smoke limiter instead of MAF on EDC15? Or is it only necessary when MAF reach measurement limit?

I have just rebuilt a Golf mk4 PD130 and found the MAF is dead so thought I'd educate my self on MAF-MAP switching. Plus I think you could push the max IQ if necessary

pricardof
14th March, 2022, 08:45 PM
What is 1000 ?

If it smokes you are allowing too much fuel to enter before there is enough air to burn it properly. The more you increase MAP based smoke limiter the more smoke you will get. Try lowering it. Or calculate it to 17 afr and it should not smoke.

((EngineCC/4) * (Boost/1000)) / 17

That will give max value to each column in map based smoke limiter.