PDA

View Full Version : E39 EWS3 rolling code rest on key

volvov70t5
14th May, 2018, 01:31 PM
Hi,

I have an E39 540 that the previous owner had the DME, EWS and key replaced due to a fault in the immobiliser, the set that was fitted was from an X5.
All is working fine but it bugs me that the VIN numbers show as an X5 (I.E Progman and Ista identify the car as an X5)

I decided to put it all as it should be so have put the correct VIN into the DME and taken a backup of the EWS so I could test changing the VIN in there on a spare unit just in case it messes anything up with the keys still showing the X5 VIN.

All went fine and I cloned the EWS, car started fine on the clone and obviously the rolling key code changed, I put the original EWS back in and all still working fine even though the code had changed.
As a test I decided to see how many times the code must 'roll on' before the EWS stops seeing the key, so started the car 3 times and then put the clone EWS back in.
No surprise to see that it no longer recognised the key due to a different rolling code.

This is where I am lost.
I reread the EWS, set the keys as unused and then put it back in thinking that when I start the car, it would resync the keys rolling code and make that key as used but it doesn't.

Using BMW scanner and viewing EWS live data, everytime I put the key in the ignition the first 4 digits of the keys rolling code keep changing every few seconds but only the first 4 digits and it stays saying no match on the rolling code.
I read the EWS again and the first 4 digits have changed but the rest are all FF and the key is still marked as unused.

Can anyone suggest what is going on with it?
I have a perfectly working car as it is the clone EWS I am playing with but I am just curious as to why the key is not being reactivated after I mark it as unused.
If my working EWS ever loses sync with my key I would like to be able to reset it so I would like to understand what is going on with it.

Thanks.
Edward.

brend
14th May, 2018, 01:46 PM
Posts 15
Thanks 0
Downloads 29

volvov70t5
14th May, 2018, 07:55 PM
Genuine question.....what was the purpose of that post??

Posts 15
Thanks 0
Downloads 29

rafal
14th May, 2018, 08:00 PM
just you need to be more helpfull on forum ( not only TAKE but also GIVE )