PDA

View Full Version : Land Rover Discovery odometer

Stavman
15th November, 2009, 04:22 AM
Hi all, I am trying to adjust a 2000 Land Rover Discovery and I am having trouble reaing the 93c56 chip on the board. when I connect the clip to the chip my tacho universal 2008 shuts down. I was having trouble finding the crystal and may have shorted the wrong 2 pins. Any help appreciated. Thanks.:bawling:

PremierD
15th November, 2009, 11:37 AM
Hi all, I am trying to adjust a 2000 Land Rover Discovery and I am having trouble reaing the 93c56 chip on the board. when I connect the clip to the chip my tacho universal 2008 shuts down. I was having trouble finding the crystal and may have shorted the wrong 2 pins. Any help appreciated. Thanks.:bawling:

WHIP IT OFF THE BOARD MATE.....Coz these eeproms to Erase ..with a bad contact....

You know of course that you have to do the BCU.....as well...?

Stavman
15th November, 2009, 04:02 PM
I was afraid of that, my soldering skills are not so good. Is that the only way to do it is to pull off the 93c56 chip? As for the bcu, yes I was aware just want to do one thing at a time. What about that crystal they say to jump? I did not
find it. Unless it's that 4 pin chip that has 5.000M on it????
thanks for your reply.

Stavman
15th November, 2009, 10:38 PM
Well I removed the 93c56 chip from the board and put the tacho universal clip on it and it started to smoke.
I checked to make sure I connected everything ok and I did. I put the chip back on the board ant it still works. Now I'm lost, I can't even seem to follow instructions or I'm doing something wrong, help......:bawling::beheaded:

delambo
16th November, 2009, 12:04 AM
To be honest digital mileage correction is not for the faint hearted and this is just the tip of the iceberg. When it comes the BCU if you cock that up the car will be immobilised, the central locking wont work etc etc.

Don't get me wrong I am all for people having a go but expect to pay the consequences along the way. My advise if you are learning is to go to the scrap yard and buy a load of dashes to fiddle with before committing yourself to killing a car.

All is not lost at this point. In the best case you can buy a new 93c56 from an electronics wholesaler, find a virgin dump to burn in to it, solder it in to the dash and it will automatically code from the BCU when you plug it in. Then have another go. Or worst case scenario buy another dash and to the same.

Stavman
16th November, 2009, 03:25 AM
Thanks for your reply, I did go into this knowing I would "oops" a few times, but I want to learn from my mistakes. I already have a spare dash for this vehicle. I want to find out what went wrong? was it because I didnt find the crystal right away, I jumped the wrong part,why does my tach display go off as soon as I connect the clip, why did the 93c56 chip smoke when I removed it from the board and tried to connect the clip and last but not least why after all this abuse does it still work once reconnected to the car?

to program a virgin chip should I be able to use my tacho universal 2008 or do I need something else? If something else what? Thanks and sorry for all these questions.

delambo
17th November, 2009, 11:34 AM
To be honest I know nothing about tacho universal or any other all in one mileage correction tools - I do it the "old fashioned way" with eeprom programmers and years of experience and knowledge so I can't really advise what you did wrong. However after trying to read in circuit in my learning days and the pain and expense it caused me I always desolder and read off the board now. Maybe the tool is faulty? I assume it is a cheep China clone? If it is not, go to the manufacturer for support. If you buy China clones you must expect China quality both in terms of build and support. Most China suppliers speak perfect English when you want to buy something but suddenly when it does not work or you need support they very quickly "forget" how to speak English!! Unless you have a lot of knowledge of the industry you will never run a business with China clones.

electronic wizards
17th November, 2009, 10:09 PM
very good reply........delambo

electronic wizards
17th November, 2009, 10:18 PM
very well put delambo... and for ur first job to do with mileage u have picked the wrong car to do.. if ur struggling with a 8 pin eeprom.. how the hell u gunna get on with the micro...... better u practice herd first bud..

dashradio
18th November, 2009, 01:14 AM
And if you do cock up the Disco dash and put another dump in, the mileage with flash until the dash and BCU both have the exact same value in them.

Dashradio

Stavman
19th November, 2009, 12:03 AM
Delambo, thanks for your input. I learned quickly that the chinese products are not very good and i agree that pulling the chip off the board is the best way to program it. however I do not know what hardware or software to use to do this. Back in the day that I did satelite boxes programming a chip was pretty easy, couple wires to a comport and a nice proggy that someone made was all it took to do it. As for choosing this vehicle well it's a friend of mine that bought it in the US and changed the cluster with a Canadian model so i am trying to get it to stop blinking. Well if you can point me in the right direction ti program that chip I would appriciate it. thanks.

PremierD
19th November, 2009, 12:11 AM
Delambo, thanks for your input. I learned quickly that the chinese products are not very good and i agree that pulling the chip off the board is the best way to program it. however I do not know what hardware or software to use to do this. Back in the day that I did satelite boxes programming a chip was pretty easy, couple wires to a comport and a nice proggy that someone made was all it took to do it. As for choosing this vehicle well it's a friend of mine that bought it in the US and changed the cluster with a Canadian model so i am trying to get it to stop blinking. Well if you can point me in the right direction ti program that chip I would appriciate it. thanks.
All you need mate is a standard Eeprom programmer...Read the c56 and post the dump....The BSI is another matter ...your Clone should do that ( fingers crossed) ..If you can post the c56 dump I will (or one of our DK members will alter it ... ) ...

rovertechwm
21st July, 2016, 06:26 PM
Hi All
Does anyone have a picture ti identify where the eeprom chip is located on the Discovery 2 dash please
Thanks

PremierD
21st July, 2016, 06:58 PM
Hi All
Does anyone have a picture ti identify where the eeprom chip is located on the Discovery 2 dash please
Thanks

Enigma PDF mate .. first thing I could find ..lol

rovertechwm
29th July, 2016, 08:46 PM
Hi Members
Can anyone help please to locate eeprom and type on bcu board for
Discovery 2 Land Rover.
Thanks

rovertechwm
24th October, 2016, 05:39 PM
Hi Members
Could anyone please kindly assist with a virgin dump file for Discovery 2 TD5 dash?
I would like to restore to as new dash 0 KM on odo.
Thanks
Nicky

janushaan
25th October, 2016, 01:45 AM
yeah tacho likes the smoke,,, lol i hd happened to me to,, use UPA or xprog or carprog works good