PDA

View Full Version : Cam, image, OS somehow confused!

bluebiker21
25th August, 2008, 12:02 PM
Hi,

can anyone clarify the difference between CAM and image?
Does image refer to the OS, ie linux OS?

I know there are many CAMs that can be loaded on one box, but what exactly is a CAM?
and what's a server? Is it an internet hosted server that the dreambox contacts to get key updates all the time?

And also what s the Gemini project? is it a server?

:ridinghorse:

Thanks for the clarifications

<--bluebiker21 added 1 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...-->

The Emu, it s the CAM?

Thanks

<--bluebiker21 added 0 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...-->

I love this forum!

Devilfish
25th August, 2008, 12:19 PM
Sounds like you've found some stuff out on your own. :)

The image is simply another name for the firmware. Linux is the OS that's used to create the firmware and so its Linux based.

A cam (conditional access module) is really a slot thingy that you would use to slot your subscribed card into then put that into your receiver.

http://www.pioneer.eu/images/eur/CISlot.gif

The emu is short for emulator but the actual term should be Softcam because its a cam in software form, i.e. evocamd, mgcamd, etc.

There are various groups that develop images/firmware, The Gemini Project are just one of those groups. Others include PLi, RuDream, Nabilo, CLi, Digital Kaos ;)

There is 2 main types of images, neutrino and enigma (both linux based). Most of the firmware creators use enigma but RuDream use neutrino.

Hope that clears a few things up. :)

bluebiker21
25th August, 2008, 12:35 PM
Hi,

cant thank you enough for your quick reply, it's such a relief!!

I have downloaded the latest image you posted and sent it to the dreambox using DreamUPLAN. The image shows as flashimg.img under /tmp.
How can I run it on my box?

Thanks

Devilfish
25th August, 2008, 02:09 PM
This guide should tell you all you need to know.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f34/guide-flash-backup-image-via-telnet-760/

Although you will need to either rename the file to backup.img or adjust the command to have flashimg.img.

bluebiker21
25th August, 2008, 04:41 PM
thanks again!

I yused the commands u mentioned and the image is intalled.

During initial setup (on first booting of the dreambox), I set up only two satellites, how can I set more now that the box is running?
Also, where can I get CAMs in this image?

:party:

krazylegz
25th August, 2008, 05:40 PM
you can select satellites to scan by usng the remote and going to sevice searc section, emu's can usually be found via the addon server if connected to the net, usually blue button, nabilosats is yellow x2

bluebiker21
25th August, 2008, 07:20 PM
I was able to find the addon server with remote. I managed to add few CAMs manually after tftping their tar.gz files to /tmp. However when I go the EMU manager, I find only Evocamd 2.12 although I did install other CAMs.

PS: When I try to install from DK addon server, I get the same message for all CAMs: An error occured during http actions. (Percent in use 93%)

One more thing, I couldn't find satellites to scan using remote, can you please elaborate a bit more.

Thanks a LOT!

krazylegz
25th August, 2008, 08:59 PM
the reason some emu's wont be there is because although you downloaded a tar.gz a emu is different for each image, so the ones you might have were no made up for the image you have, you need to download them from the server, you might need to re-flash image as when you've been trying to ftp emu's its quite possible that you might have used up precious space in /var folder so there mightn't be enough space for you to download any now.

satellies is something along the lines of

menu--setup--expert setup--service serching

bluebiker21
26th August, 2008, 12:59 PM
Hi,

I re-flashed the image on my dreambox in order to win more space in /var. All I was able to install is Scam3.28, I got the same error (An error occured during http actions) for other CAMs. Keep in mind that I had to remove Evocam in order for Scam to work.

How can I get more space on /var, is there a way?

Fergal
26th August, 2008, 01:11 PM
Why do you need more space you only need 1 camd try cccamd

bluebiker21
26th August, 2008, 01:45 PM
I reflashed, removed evocam and tried cccamd 2.08, again the same error. (I had Percent in use 29%). Any clue? Thanks

Devilfish
26th August, 2008, 04:24 PM
I'll have a look at that addon tonight when I get in from work to make sure it's downloading ok.

Also moved this thread to the satellite section. ;)

newman9
30th March, 2009, 04:23 AM
Thanks for clarification. I love this board...