PDA

View Full Version : Cable Length Limit?

GGM
25th August, 2008, 09:00 PM
Hello All!

I have VM Phone + BBand XL. I am interested in buying a couple of DBoxes or similar.

Is there a limit to the number of devices sat on the coax? or to the cable length?

I want to run a coax from a splitter at the incoming box (that supplies my cable modem) back outside and upstairs into the loft to another splitter and to the two DBoxes...etc. 20-25 Mtrs.

Many thanks in advance.

GGM

cgscott
25th August, 2008, 11:52 PM
I recently split 2 boxes over 15 meters and requires a signal booster mate. you will soon see the loss in quality when you do it and will find that you will need a booster.

28th August, 2008, 08:22 AM
I recently split 2 boxes over 15 meters and requires a signal booster mate. you will soon see the loss in quality when you do it and will find that you will need a booster.
same here m8 had to use the yellow box booster

Consolez
31st August, 2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks for sharing !

ZaFoD
31st August, 2008, 03:34 PM
Hi Guys,

Is there a particular booster you'd recommend ?

MetalKettle
2nd September, 2008, 11:04 AM
I know in the old days there was a pretty good booster i used with my DBox2. Bought it from Argos. Cant remember what it was called as I sold it with my DBox. Perhaps someone knows if they still sell them?

In terms of cable length, i have a cable running round the whole of my house from front to back, up the wall and into an upstairs bedroom, this is split 3 ways in the "Brown Box" and I have not had any signal issues with my 500c.

GGM
2nd September, 2008, 12:28 PM
I've just ordered this one....

2 Way CATV HDTV TV Cable Amplifier Signal Booster 220V on eBay, also, Other TV Accessories, TV Accessories, Consumer Electronics (end time 30-Aug-08 08:18:37 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310078536970&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:UK:11)

ZaFoD
2nd September, 2008, 12:51 PM
I've just ordered this one....

2 Way CATV HDTV TV Cable Amplifier Signal Booster 220V on eBay, also, Other TV Accessories, TV Accessories, Consumer Electronics (end time 30-Aug-08 08:18:37 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310078536970&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:UK:11)

I think thats the one Shady got too.

Can you let us know how it works. :)

I'm looking for a booster for the Eurovox, I moved it from under the stairs up to the bedroom [added a splitter and 15m cable] and lost around 10 channels. I'm hoping the dreambox won't need it. :)

GGM
2nd September, 2008, 01:17 PM
I think thats the one Shady got too.

Can you let us know how it works. :)

I'm looking for a booster for the Eurovox, I moved it from under the stairs up to the bedroom [added a splitter and 15m cable] and lost around 10 channels. I'm hoping the dreambox won't need it. :)

Will do!

Should arrive soon along with my 500C, so I'll be getting the ladders out at the weekend to run the coax around the house! :)

<--GGM added 5 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...-->

I know in the old days there was a pretty good booster i used with my DBox2. Bought it from Argos. Cant remember what it was called as I sold it with my DBox. Perhaps someone knows if they still sell them?

In terms of cable length, i have a cable running round the whole of my house from front to back, up the wall and into an upstairs bedroom, this is split 3 ways in the "Brown Box" and I have not had any signal issues with my 500c.

When you say you split 3 ways in the brown box (I've not opened mine up to see inside yet) I take it you did not use an 'F-Splitter' or similar? How did you actually split them?

shady77
2nd September, 2008, 03:07 PM
hi all. the above mentioned booster does indeed work. turns out i didnt need it for my 500c though, even though my cable was split twice. i did need it however for my modem. and can confirm thanks to a pal in the trade that i got a 23db gain. although not the stated 30db on the box, it was enough for me :)
be aware though, it DOES NOT come with uk plug

MetalKettle
3rd September, 2008, 08:15 AM
Will do!

Should arrive soon along with my 500C, so I'll be getting the ladders out at the weekend to run the coax around the house! :)

<--GGM added 5 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...-->

When you say you split 3 ways in the brown box (I've not opened mine up to see inside yet) I take it you did not use an 'F-Splitter' or similar? How did you actually split them?

The signal is split 3 ways in the "brown box" as I have 3 wires comming out. 1 feeds by BB, one my D500c and the third feeds my subbed V+ box. The splitter in the box is just a normal 3 way f-type splitter like the ones you see on ebay.