PDA

View Full Version : Premier plan is 'unsustainable'

Devilfish
15th February, 2008, 03:51 PM
Former Football Association chief executive David Davies says the Premier League's proposal to play games abroad is "unlikely to survive".

The plan for teams to play a 39th match in five cities overseas on one weekend from 2011 has been much criticised.

Davies told BBC Radio 5 Live: "The current plan, at least as described in the public domain, is very hard to sustain - it has taken a pounding.

"There wasn't a widespread consultation and the fireworks have gone off."

Sepp Blatter, president of football's world governing body Fifa, told BBC Sport that the plan "will never happen" and warned it could harm any bid by England to host the 2018 World Cup.

Davies said: "I look forward to seeing where my former colleagues at the FA stand on this because, frankly, they have been very quiet up until this point.

"The crux of the problem is can English football act as one, or will its sectional interests break off and go in their own way?"

Davies said he expects the Premier League to revise its proposals in the face of hostility from Blatter and football federations around the globe.

"As I understand it, the plan is a work in progress but there is a perception that it is more than that," he stated.

"There is a team of people within the Premier League who will look at the plan with a view to making it more acceptable.

"But the basic point is if the national associations in Asia, Africa and North America don't want these games then they can put a stop to them."

Davies added the Premier League could yet salvage its plan if it placed less emphasis on its commercial benefits.

"I believe there are people at the League who have more than just financial interests in all of this - they care about the future growth of football," he said.

Meanwhile, Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has voiced his opposition to the overseas games plan, saying: "To play another game in another country is not right.

"You must play here in England with the same opportunities for every team."

A group who remain wary of the Premier League's intentions are the Football Supporters' Federation.

The FSF have launched a petition against the proposals on their website and are planning campaign meetings next week.

"While Mr Blatter's statement is welcome, this doesn't mean the danger of the Premier League pressing ahead has passed," said a FSF statement.

"Supporters need to keep the pressure up. We confirm that we'll be proceeding with next week's campaign meetings around England."