PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Hilux fuel gauge issue

MrMike
26th June, 2018, 04:13 PM
Hi guys.
I've come across about 5 hilux's so far (most 2013 models) the fuel gauge is getting stuck on 1/4 tank. I have 3 dashes on hand to play with. I believe the problem is in the gauge motor.

Does anyone know what might be the cause?

I will try and swap out the temp gauge motor for the fuel gauge and see if that fixes the issue.

Any advice will be appreciated.
I will get some pics up when I have time to get into it.

shafo
26th June, 2018, 05:30 PM
I've swopped many clusters because of this issue ... I think there's a processor that goes faulty...

manexx
26th June, 2018, 08:55 PM
Try to resolder a high power smd resistors in fuel sensor's circuit...

weza247
27th June, 2018, 05:37 AM
I've swopped many clusters because of this issue ... I think there's a processor that goes faulty...

100% correct. Its a factory fault usually the 2012 with black glass face

sanjeev
27th June, 2018, 05:56 AM
Hello i did fixed this issue not a prossessor problem

filiprow
27th June, 2018, 06:33 AM
Sanjeev, would you share the solution? I've come across few of those dashes but always ended up replacing.

shafo
27th June, 2018, 05:26 PM
Hello i did fixed this issue not a prossessor problem

Care to share?

Aislingob
1st July, 2018, 09:27 AM
I've had few with same problem and secondhand unit is 250 euros back here , Wudnt take much notice of the Sanjeev guy

Thos
2nd July, 2018, 01:16 PM
Hi,
In my experience with many of these clusters before removing the pointers on all the gauges you must spin the pointer oroound and if it feels very tight on the spindle you must get some pliers and crimp the plastic lug that connects to the spindle and it will loosen it up which allows you to remove the Pointer without damaging the stepper motor
I have done many of these dashes at this is the reason the gauges F&$k up speedo and tachometer also
Since using this method have not junked another gauge again
Thos

filiprow
2nd July, 2018, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the advice Thos. What did you find was the problem fuel gauge gets stuck? How do you fix it normally?

Thos
3rd July, 2018, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the advice Thos. What did you find was the problem fuel gauge gets stuck? How do you fix it normally?
Hi
cant fix only replace motor but try swapping the fuel motor with the temp it may work better with the temp as it only usually goes up to half so may be ok to get you out of the shit

thos

chakahafed
14th July, 2018, 01:47 AM
Some one is selling that knowedge...

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-automotive-services/durbanville/toyota-hilux-fuel-gauge-problems/1002532756740910000109809

daniersms
14th July, 2018, 06:09 AM
Just investigate a bit and you will find that it is easy to repair .I have done a couple of them now :tears_of_joy:

chakahafed
14th July, 2018, 04:25 PM
Just investigate a bit and you will find that it is easy to repair .I have done a couple of them now :tears_of_joy:
i don't have one now
but sharing how to will realy help if i receve one

Aislingob
15th July, 2018, 08:52 AM
I don't think this a motor problem as I have changed several and it has made no difference at all

sanjeev
15th July, 2018, 09:06 AM
This is not the area for making money... someone send a request for not reveal this fixing tips bcz of that affect his business. personally i feel guilty with that messages. There is no reason we are all here for learning.

Fix Tip.

1, Resolder all pin point of the power suply connector. 15 Minutes job.
2, There is 3 Pines mount only need resoldering, But re-soldering full pin is better..
3, Not necessary to change needle motor.
4, No need to replace the processor.

Thanks
Sanjeev

sagie
15th July, 2018, 11:20 AM
hello Sanjeev, thank you for the info, any chance of posting pic of toyota cluster of where to solder:eagerness: or answer skype

sagie
15th July, 2018, 11:21 AM
Some one is selling that knowedge...

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-automotive-services/durbanville/toyota-hilux-fuel-gauge-problems/1002532756740910000109809

btw this guys stabiliser unit inside his brain is short-circuited. He wants 50k for the information to repair

sanjeev
15th July, 2018, 12:18 PM
542253 terminal number 2 & 3. re-solder the pins job done.

rtbdiagnostic
31st August, 2018, 07:45 AM
are you referring to the connector as in the picture attached to resolder pins where it attaches to the circuit board:gorilla:

ipdialup
2nd September, 2018, 02:56 PM
Hi,

I have the same issue, I have just pulled the cluster out and re soldered all the PINs on that PCB, put it back together, question is do I now risk driving past 1/4 tank and hope the gauge is now working...

Anyway to test if the gauge is functioning correctly now and not sticking @ 1/4 tank?

I have always been filling up early to prevent running out of fuel !

Maybe it's time for a jerry can in the Back and just keep driving to see if the gauge drops past 1/4?

Thanks,

sagie
2nd September, 2018, 06:38 PM
is there no drain nut on that tank, drain all petrol and see if needle goes empty

ipdialup
23rd September, 2018, 08:52 PM
So,

I resoldered all the pins on the connector to the cluster.

Still gauge gets stuck at 1/4, anybody got any further advice or instructions on how to repair these clusters?

Thanks

bidu20
24th September, 2018, 07:29 AM
solder all big resistors and problem is solved

sagie
24th September, 2018, 08:45 AM
any chance of a better picture

bidu20
24th September, 2018, 08:57 AM
better is unfortunately not possible :tears_of_joy:

ipdialup
1st October, 2018, 12:55 PM
Ok, will give that a go, do I need to remove the solder and use fresh or does just a reflow of the existing solder work?

I have access to a hot air SMT rework station or a soldering iron, which approach do you recommend to use?

Thanks.

bidu20
1st October, 2018, 02:01 PM
Use flux and give a little new solder. i use This staion:
https://www.amazon.com/Metcal-MX-5211-Soldering-Rework-Hand-Pieces/dp/B00C6AW9CY

ernene
31st October, 2018, 12:39 PM
So,

I resoldered all the pins on the connector to the cluster.

Still gauge gets stuck at 1/4, anybody got any further advice or instructions on how to repair these clusters?

Thanks

do you solve the problem? i have same issue

Gemmerkat
1st November, 2018, 03:34 PM
hope this helps

sagie
1st November, 2018, 04:54 PM
thank you for this. this pic clearly shows the dry joint, much appreciated

boz187
19th March, 2019, 11:45 AM
this worked for me, thank you sanjeev

some of these resistors were so lose u could move ur finger on them and the gap would close or they would fall off
this fixed my fuel gauge not going past quarter tank on 2013 sr5 hilux

Roshan456
5th April, 2019, 04:49 PM
Most excellent advise. Worked like a charm..solved the problem with the fuel gauge reading..

Most appreciated.
Thanks

mohamed khan
15th April, 2019, 09:37 AM
Hello i did fixed this issue not a prossessor problemHi how you fixed gauge issue

Sent from my INE-LX1 using Tapatalk

kachimbi
15th April, 2019, 06:01 PM
Hi how you fixed gauge issue

Sent from my INE-LX1 using Tapatalk

by soldering the dry joints on those resistors in the picture.. you will see cracks on the solder on them..

Robertjunior
10th July, 2019, 05:57 PM
It did helped a lot, thank you!

OzLuxy
8th August, 2019, 03:02 PM
Thanks Sanjeev for your kind sharing of information on this issue. I have the same issue with my 2014 SR Hilux and Toyota dealer servicing in Australia quoted me nearly $AUD2,000 to replace the entire instrument cluster. 😏

If this is such a common issue with (2012-2014?) Hilux’s which is known to Toyota, it begs the question doesn’t it why there has not been a recall? Bit of a safety issue isn’t it when Hilux’s all over the place are cutting out unexpectedly while driving? Has anyone else had this thought or had their Hilux run out of fuel in a dangerous situation?

kleinteu
21st August, 2019, 03:48 PM
please resolder your resistor ,poor contact

BariQureshi
17th September, 2019, 08:30 AM
Thank you Sanjeev, and boz187 for posting a clear pic, I did the re soldering of almost all the resistors shown in the pic, no resistor was loose as you posted but when I refitted the cluster the gauge reading was lower, as I could not figure out how much fuel I exactly have in my tank, but seems that the issue was fixed.

One more thing which was interesting some one from South Africa asking me to send the unit via DHL and asking me money to fix, I told him I fixed it, he said this is a temporary solution this will re occur as what was causing these resistors to heat and causing the issue, seems logical.

So what is the experience of people who fixed the issue, how many miles have the done after the fix.

this worked for me, thank you sanjeev

some of these resistors were so lose u could move ur finger on them and the gap would close or they would fall off
this fixed my fuel gauge not going past quarter tank on 2013 sr5 hilux

mine21
17th September, 2019, 10:21 AM
hats off sanjeev thanks for the info....

sagie1zn
17th September, 2019, 07:14 PM
Thank you Sanjeev, and boz187 for posting a clear pic, I did the re soldering of almost all the resistors shown in the pic, no resistor was loose as you posted but when I refitted the cluster the gauge reading was lower, as I could not figure out how much fuel I exactly have in my tank, but seems that the issue was fixed.

One more thing which was interesting some one from South Africa asking me to send the unit via DHL and asking me money to fix, I told him I fixed it, he said this is a temporary solution this will re occur as what was causing these resistors to heat and causing the issue, seems logical.

So what is the experience of people who fixed the issue, how many miles have the done after the fix.

probably from cape town:glee:, someone wanted 50K to tell me how to fix this problem lol

Richsmith12
20th November, 2019, 10:52 AM
I did the soldering although I didn’t see any dry joints. Issue now is no mileage showing. Any ideas?

busaman
27th February, 2020, 02:43 PM
thank you mine was r309.

mattyjf01
13th March, 2020, 01:55 AM
Thanks sanjeev

hernanrr
26th March, 2020, 02:55 AM
Thank you very much for the data, now I will try to do it, thank you.

WILLIAMROJAS
27th March, 2020, 05:52 AM
he tenido un par de fallas con esos tipos de tableros, por lo general la soldadura de las resistencias se parte. solo es cuestión de resoldar y problema resuelto. son algo de 6 resistencias las que hacen la caída de voltaje para la señal del medidor de combustible.

Diagcar1
27th March, 2020, 07:11 AM
he tenido un par de fallas con esos tipos de tableros, por lo general la soldadura de las resistencias se parte. solo es cuestión de resoldar y problema resuelto. son algo de 6 resistencias las que hacen la caída de voltaje para la señal del medidor de combustible.

READ FORUM RULES!!!!

English only!!!!

junaidaftab86
13th June, 2020, 08:20 PM
Hi Guys, how to verify this issue, does disconnecting the fuel semder shows E on the gauge with this issue or not.

Siham
17th July, 2020, 03:42 PM
Hi Folks ,

thank you Guys it worked for me like a charm I fixed my car fuel gauge issue ,it was an Hilux Vigo 2014 .

regards

Yannig
5th August, 2020, 12:28 PM
Many thanks for this thead, resoldered the big resistors and it's now working after 6 years of doing out with a fuel guage.
Toyota Hilux invincible 2013.735416

joqueca
21st August, 2020, 04:06 PM
Just check this capacitors located at right end of panel (I got one completely loose).... proceed to resolder and check all others... just be careful not to burn them... this willl save you a lot of money and headaches... :tears_of_joy::tears_of_joy::tears_of_joy:

Many thanks for this thead, resoldered the big resistors and it's now working after 6 years of doing out with a fuel guage.
Toyota Hilux invincible 2013.735416

oneyoh
16th September, 2020, 09:39 PM
This post is awesome !! [emoji1476] Thank u guys my gauge is now working properly and it was the 1st time I used a solder

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

krokoszoko
4th December, 2020, 02:46 PM
Thank you very much.

Autotroniceire
14th December, 2020, 10:19 PM
hi guys, have repaired these clusters few times by resoldering these resistors. have always had car in workshop to test, now i have one to fix which wss posted in, does anyone have pinout to bench test guage after repair ?
thanks in advance

eik
21st December, 2020, 10:52 AM
I have a 2012 hilux and my daugher has a 2015. Both with the 2.5 liter diesel (2kd-ftv). Her partner ran out of fuel because of this, couple of weeks after the warranty expired. I really do not know if my hilux has this problem also. I have a Toyota service manual that has good instruction on how to remove instruments and fuel tank and limited diagnostic information that referes to harness F13, pins 2 and 3. I have not found an easy way to access those connectors. Can anyone here help with this? Looks like a good diagnostic test would be to connect a 110 ohm resistor to those pins on instrument side. This should result in fuel gauge showinbg empty and the fuel warming light if the instruiment are working correctly.

Sniperpiper
30th January, 2021, 03:14 PM
thank you for this. this pic clearly shows the dry joint, much appreciated

Hi I’ve a2010 mk6 Hilux, my fuel gauge has stopped working it stays at quarter of a tank, I’ve taken my instrument cluster out and I’m looking to see which resistors I resolder,my clocks diff than the mk7

Breka
23rd February, 2021, 08:22 PM
Thanks
Work perfect

rtbdiagnostic
14th June, 2021, 07:35 PM
made easy see video instructions ...............:loyal:
https://youtu.be/tHBfTKsgSNU

hagen1981
26th March, 2022, 05:28 AM
I have attempted the repair mentioned and the gauge has gone from reading 3/4 before soldering to just below 1/4 after soldering not sure if its sorted or if I have made it worse

rtbdiagnostic
26th March, 2022, 07:41 AM
I have attempted the repair mentioned and the gauge has gone from reading 3/4 before soldering to just below 1/4 after soldering not sure if its sorted or if I have made it worse
Your job done good will see no more showing 1/4 tank when tank is actually empty :devil:

hagen1981
26th March, 2022, 09:29 AM
can any one help seems to be a problem i checked it again and when i first turned the car on gauge went up to 1/4 then slowly dropped to empty with no fuel light showing

sagie
29th October, 2023, 10:25 AM
some of these hilux have different pcb, but same problem of getting stuck at quarter tank. Tried soldering these big resistors and no difference, Any ideas.

Herryhao
30th October, 2023, 09:52 AM
bro, u can try fix the issue with some video of youtube, i had done some of it,

sagie
1st November, 2023, 04:56 PM
bro, u can try fix the issue with some video of youtube, i had done some of it,

i have done many of these repairs, but if you look at post 58, the pcb is different. i have tried resolder all resistors anyway but still no luck. This is the second hilux cluster that i could not repair because of different pcb as compared to others of hilux d4d

rtbdiagnostic
2nd November, 2023, 08:14 AM
Strip these clusters in full on the front side you will find more multi layered ceramic capacitors having dry joints ....