PDA

View Full Version : Advice please for a newbie

sachin_tendulkar
26th August, 2008, 12:59 PM
Can someone please recommend a box that is good with a certain cable provider in the UK? How about where to buy from? I have heard about a lot of clone boxes, are these really as bad as they are made out to be?

shady77
26th August, 2008, 05:54 PM
hi. if you feel confident with ftp/flashing etc, then get a dreambox 500c.
if you want a simple plug and play box to just watch tv on, then i have had no problems whatsoever with a digivox or a starview.
the only niggle maybe for some people is the epg which isnt that good on either, but thats what tv guide magazines are for right?
if you want to record stuff, starview pvr looks a nice price (roughly ?150 without hdd from ebay).
i've linked to a couple on ebay below.
hope this helps
STARVIEW 1 DIGITAL CABLE RECEIVER BOX (Super Thebox) on eBay, also, Cable Boxes, Satellite Cable Freeview, Consumer Electronics (end time 27-Aug-08 04:31:03 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STARVIEW-1-DIGITAL-CABLE-RECEIVER-BOX-Super-Thebox_W0QQitemZ350091721215QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em350091721215&_trkparms=72%3A984%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C2 40%3A1308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

Digivox XL Cable Receiver on eBay, also, Cable Boxes, Satellite Cable Freeview, Consumer Electronics (end time 31-Aug-08 22:00:00 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digivox-XL-Cable-Receiver_W0QQitemZ130249450837QQcmdZViewItem?hash= item130249450837&_trkparms=72%3A984%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C2 40%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

THE BOX PVR CABLE TV RECORDER TWIN TUNER 2 STARVIEW HDD on eBay, also, Cable Boxes, Satellite Cable Freeview, Consumer Electronics (end time 29-Aug-08 22:18:26 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-BOX-PVR-CABLE-TV-RECORDER-TWIN-TUNER-2-STARVIEW-HDD_W0QQitemZ160274194769QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item1 60274194769&_trkparms=72%3A984%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C2 40%3A1308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

if however you want to mess around with your box and change the look when you feel like it, and do loads more then buyingthings .co.uk for a dreambox.
down this route is also the eurovox pvr
Cable & Satellite - Cable Receivers - BuyingThings.co.uk - The Online Store (http://www.buyingthings.co.uk/shop/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=17)

NEW EUROVOX EX5000 PVR WITH 120GB HARD DRIVE INSTALLED on eBay, also, Cable Boxes, Satellite Cable Freeview, Consumer Electronics (end time 27-Aug-08 11:20:12 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-EUROVOX-EX5000-PVR-WITH-120GB-HARD-DRIVE-INSTALLED_W0QQitemZ120298646200QQcmdZViewItem?hash =item120298646200&_trkparms=72%3A984%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C2 40%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

bugaloo41
26th August, 2008, 05:56 PM
its all down to personal preference mate. if all you wanting is to watch tv then there are a number of boxes:- kryptview, eurovox, digivox, starview, replay etc. My personal choice from these types of box would be the kryptview. Lots of sellers of these types of box depends which one you are after.

Dreambox clones are IMO fine and the newer ones appear to have better tuners than the originals. They have more features than the plug and play type and require These can be purchased from dvb monkey and a few others. There are a few threads on this forum.

Hope this helps.

sachin_tendulkar
27th August, 2008, 09:41 AM
Thank you both for the advice. I have no problems with messing about with the boxes. Since yesterday, I have been reading a bit more about these dreamboxes. Isn't the 600 better than the 500 in terms of the fact that you can swap a cable tuner for the satellite tuner, if need be?

shady77
27th August, 2008, 10:02 AM
not too certain if you can swap tuners on the 600, the openmedia box will defo let you though
OpenMedia 500cs, Cable and Satellite Receiver - Bubble Cable Boxes LTD (http://www.bubblecableboxes.com/products/OpenMedia-500cs,-Cable-and-Satellite-Receiver.html)
i think i read a post on here abou the 600... hang on..................................

yes here it is post 12. sorry about the wait! :)
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f34/anyone-ordered-these-before-6406/index2.html
hope this helps

ZaFoD
28th August, 2008, 03:51 AM
Hi Guys,

I've seen lots of posts on this and different forums about the Dreamboxes and how they do 'much more' than the standard STB's.
But I'm have trouble discovering what else they do, other than recording to and playing media from networked drives.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. lol

shady77
28th August, 2008, 11:07 AM
with a dreambox you can:-
record to a pc or nas
stream to a pc
stream from a pc and watch your d/loaded movies on your tv
play games.
unlike starview etc if your fed up with the look of a dreambox, you can simply change the image
you can add loads of stuff to the dreambox via plugins
you know how the starview/digivox etc epg is crapola? well with a dreambox guess what? its not.
say youve got a laptop and you want to sit in the garden on a nice summers day (if we ever get one!) and watch the footy/cricket. so you settle back with your laptop and a nice pint, maybe some nibbles and get ready for kick off! oh no! the dreambox is still tuned to cbeebies! have no fear! no need to move, as you can control the dreambox from your pc!
and loads more

ZaFoD
28th August, 2008, 07:04 PM
Hi shady77,

Thanks for the run down.
I hope yuou don't mind if I pick you answer apart abit.
I've got to have all my answers straight if I want to get the DM600 over the much cheaper Eurovox PVR. :)

record to a pc or nas
stream to a pc
stream from a pc and watch your d/loaded movies on your tvLike I can do with the HTPC/MCE, or Xb0x/XBMC, I'm guessing the DM600 being a Linux Box, codecs won't be a problem. But what about DRM'd files like iTunes. MCE and XBMC can be tweaked to play them, can the DM600 ?

play games.Better not let the kids find out about this. :)

unlike starview etc if your fed up with the look of a dreambox, you can simply change the imageI'm I right in thinking the different images all have the same functions, its only the look and feel and varies ?

you can add loads of stuff to the dreambox via pluginsStill gotta look into this.

you know how the starview/digivox etc epg is crapola? well with a dreambox guess what? its not.Even the Vermin one isn't great either. :)
We have the STB controlled by MCE, and use its EPG. Like the DM600 it can be controlled via any broswer. I'm guessing the DM600 could be connect to the MCE if need.

say youve got a laptop and you want to sit in the garden on a nice summers day (if we ever get one!) and watch the footy/cricket. so you settle back with your laptop and a nice pint, maybe some nibbles and get ready for kick off! oh no! the dreambox is still tuned to cbeebies! have no fear! no need to move, as you can control the dreambox from your pc!Does it have some sort of force field plug-in to protect me when the 'Cbeebies watchers' come gunning for me. lol

shady77
29th August, 2008, 03:43 PM
Hi shady77,

Thanks for the run down.
I hope yuou don't mind if I pick you answer apart abit.
I've got to have all my answers straight if I want to get the DM600 over the much cheaper Eurovox PVR. :)

Like I can do with the HTPC/MCE, or Xb0x/XBMC, I'm guessing the DM600 being a Linux Box, codecs won't be a problem. But what about DRM'd files like iTunes. MCE and XBMC can be tweaked to play them, can the DM600 ?

not too certain about drm's i always use limewire/utorrent for my music if i paid for stuff i wouldnt have a dreambox!

Better not let the kids find out about this. :)
they always do.

I'm I right in thinking the different images all have the same functions, its only the look and feel and varies ?
basically yes, images come with different plugins as standard, but you can add any you want

Still gotta look into this.

Even the Vermin one isn't great either. :)
We have the STB controlled by MCE, and use its EPG. Like the DM600 it can be controlled via any broswer. I'm guessing the DM600 could be connect to the MCE if need.
dont have a dm600 but i've got my dm500 connected to pc and everythings hunky dory

Does it have some sort of force field plug-in to protect me when the 'Cbeebies watchers' come gunning for me. lol

tell me about it my 5 year old thinks she's the boss of the tv as well simple answer. 2 boxes!!