PDA

View Full Version : looking to get in to remapping cars

Wideon
20th November, 2009, 02:27 PM
hi what the best and cheapest way to unload and download mapp to and from the cars i seen a device called opitcan is this any good and if not what the best and the cheapest

second thing is if i what to edit my own maps from the cars what the best software and the easyest to use .....

if there is anyone out there from the uk that is allready doing this job and has there set up ready and working please drop me a email or a private message

thanks

WideOn

Very New Memeber

oldford
20th November, 2009, 03:45 PM
Do you have a good working knowledge of how engines operate and how they are controlled by ecu's?
Do you have access to a rolling road?
When either answer is No, stay away from it, as you will undoubtedly blow a couple of engines or turbo's.

Wideon
20th November, 2009, 04:11 PM
yes i have a dyno ( rolling road ) and my mate is a engine builder and he would tell me what need tweeking if ya got me ill just me the man with the contols .....

im looking to find out whats the best and easyer software to use

can ya help

thanks

oldford
20th November, 2009, 05:12 PM
No, I do it the old-fashioned way. I decompile the software and then change it and compile it again.

Wideon
20th November, 2009, 06:11 PM
is that possible to do this way and if so is that the best way to do it

please explane

thanks

oldford
20th November, 2009, 07:12 PM
You would have to be a experienced Software Engineer who has no problem understanding Assembly language an who would not be afraid to invest a lot of hours into the process.

ameenoz
20th November, 2009, 07:36 PM
You would have to be a experienced Software Engineer who has no problem understanding Assembly language an who would not be afraid to invest a lot of hours into the process.

this sounds intresting, can you please share??

oldford
20th November, 2009, 08:09 PM
After 20 years of work? You can buy ready to go sets from me.

ameenoz
20th November, 2009, 09:36 PM
After 20 years of work? You can buy ready to go sets from me.
well, you can at least share general info about your work and what advantages you have over the other programs in the market, then we can talk money :pepsi:

oldford
20th November, 2009, 10:48 PM
The advantages are that I can correct bugs in the software or design. I can take out parts of the software and replace them and I can enlarge maps.
Two examples (both from 15-20 years ago):
a) Ford Sierra Cosworth (rear wheel drive)
There were a couple of bugs in the program, one of them caused the engine to idle at 3000 rpm, not a big problem but annoying. The other problem is more serious. Because of a bug in the program the ignition advance could be more than 60 degrees at 3000 rpm and full boost. This bug didn't show up in the standard car, because the conditions under which it occurred were not reached. When you tried to increase the turbo boost the conditions were reached. I repaired both bugs. The company that was the first to sell chips for this car didn't know there was a bug. There name was Detection Techniques. It soon became Destruction Techniques.

b) Renault Clio
People were racing this car with the standard ecu and were using rpm limiters at 7800 rpm. The engine was almost standard, so the power drop above 6500 rpm was considerably. The standard fuel map only had 12 (or 13) rpm entries and was insufficient in width. The engine would run correctly at low revs or at high revs but not both on the same Eprom. Tuners were using different Eproms for different circuits. So, I enlarged the fuel map from 12x16 to 20x16 and was able to get one Eprom that would cover both low and high revs. The result was that the driver, who would normally finish between 15th and 20th, in the next race finished 6th.

ameenoz
21st November, 2009, 08:58 AM
great work :) , do you work with opel cars?? im asking cause this is my field of work that im intrested in

oldford
21st November, 2009, 10:19 AM
I have nothing of the shelf for Opel/Vauxhall. All Opels I did had tuned engines for rallys.

busaman
21st November, 2009, 10:30 AM
ive looked at winols and gave up far to complicated. i race bikes and use standalone ecus (motec) that actually have boost,fuel, and ignition maps.

not ones you have to search for and then unless you are very familiar with winols you neve know what map you are altering.

oldford
21st November, 2009, 11:24 AM
I agree Busaman. After-market ecu's are a lot easier to setup. But they do have a disadvantage and that is the costs. You have to buy a ecu and have a wiring loom made. Acceptable for rally and racing cars, but not for normal road cars.

busaman
21st November, 2009, 02:28 PM
I agree Busaman. After-market ecu's are a lot easier to setup. But they do have a disadvantage and that is the costs. You have to buy a ecu and have a wiring loom made. Acceptable for rally and racing cars, but not for normal road cars.

is there an easier software than winols for locating and editing maps.

manandhar
22nd November, 2009, 06:19 AM
Hello,
I agree with Busaman. Using winols to find the map is like searcing in the sea. I work mostly in Toyota cars. Can oldford help me in changing the map to my custom ?

Wideon
22nd November, 2009, 10:22 PM
ok please lads back to the point whats the best software and stuff to get thois job done

as i see a lot of people saying it possible and a lot more saying it not

what the best package to use

thnaks

citronel
22nd November, 2009, 10:47 PM
I have to say that I take off my hat in front of oldford; I did not imagine that this days somebody can still do this kind of work alone.

I know what mean to program in ASM ( I did this 20 years ago on Z80... ) and how hard it is to disassemble and succeed to understand what a team of engineers did to made that ECU sw.
If he can do this I trust to put my car in his hand.

p.s.
Oldford any plan/time to have a look and remove FAP routine and add safe few extra horses & torque to ECU Bosch EDC16C34 from Citroen/Peugeot 1.6HDI FAP 109HP ?
In the near future I may buy a spare ECU and send to you for safe change.

turbo965
23rd November, 2009, 03:10 AM
hi wideon optican is a very good tool, around 4k though, as any other decent tool out there you get what you pay for, i have seen cheaper tools out there in the market what people have used and damaged ecus by using them, were abouts are you based maybe i can help you locate a kit and files.

thanks

turbo965
23rd November, 2009, 03:13 AM
hi wideon optican is a very good tool, around 4k though, as any other decent tool out there you get what you pay for, i have seen cheaper tools out there in the market what people have used and damaged ecus by using them, were abouts are you based maybe i can help you locate a kit and files.

thanks

oldford
23rd November, 2009, 09:18 AM
Sorry guys, I do not do diesels. I restrict myself to petrol.

digitalforce
25th November, 2009, 09:33 AM
Easy buy clone kwp and crack ecm2001 and be tuning god in 2 hours. every maps is defined and you dont need carknowledge at all. just change all injection 25% and all other 10% and car is better than from factory. i swear this to be true

ameenoz
25th November, 2009, 11:01 AM
Easy buy clone kwp and crack ecm2001 and be tuning god in 2 hours. every maps is defined and you dont need carknowledge at all. just change all injection 25% and all other 10% and car is better than from factory. i swear this to be true
do you have a manual or tutorial??
does kwp support vauxhall astra g with ecu delco z16xe??:smokin:

ali535d
7th June, 2010, 01:55 AM
have you tried tuningtools.co.uk

andrassh
26th July, 2010, 05:39 PM
is there an easier software than winols for locating and editing maps.
what software is easier for locating maps?
THX

edc
28th July, 2010, 03:51 PM
what software is easier for locating maps?
THX

swiftec ... only for 3000 euro ... ;)

del635
29th July, 2010, 08:53 PM
Is this sarcasm? L O ****ing L if not!
Winols is the best way to learn how to find maps, basic is around a 1000 but start with the demo. Theres forums for this specifically. The learning curve is steep but still nothing compared to what oldford has posted, respect, learning is like a snowball rolling down a hill, once its gets a little bigger...... Of course this assuming you know how to tune properly as it is only a method of finding and changing maps. To start buy some soldering equipment and a programmer, possible a cheap emulator and tunerpro NOT an obd flasher and play with some older, cheaper 8bit stuff.