PDA

View Full Version : Dell inspiron 8600 charger problem

mini
27th August, 2008, 11:12 PM
I have a problem with the power jack on laptop. Every time I plug charger in it wont work unless you fiddle about with it, then it tends to heat up.
Now I went to a laptop repair shop and they charge ?100 labour just to change the socket.
I've taken all screws off the back and taken the keyboard off, but still cannot find the screws to take the back panel off to change the socket. Can anyone please help or recomend someone in huddersfield to do this CHEAP....

davidharvey75
27th August, 2008, 11:21 PM
Hi mini,
Don't know much about laptops at all, (as others may already know) but i don't know if this vid would help you out. Not great but might help.

Youtube vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLGe1F0XGqE)

davemac82
28th August, 2008, 01:14 AM
I have a problem with the power jack on laptop. Every time I plug charger in it wont work unless you fiddle about with it, then it tends to heat up.
Now I went to a laptop repair shop and they charge ?100 labour just to change the socket.
I've taken all screws off the back and taken the keyboard off, but still cannot find the screws to take the back panel off to change the socket. Can anyone please help or recomend someone in huddersfield to do this CHEAP....

For that kinda repair m8 ?100 quid is the going rate and on the cheaper side of it, the best thing to do is to try and fix it yourself if it still works when you wigle and fiddle a simple bit a solder might do the trick.

mini
28th August, 2008, 01:54 AM
Thanks dave for the link...
I've tried to open it up but get problems halfway through trying to get the back off, I start panicking incase I f*** it all up.
I just need a proper guide on how to get to the mother board.
Cheers fellas......

gazz10
28th August, 2008, 07:02 PM
you will get the info. you need (service manuals) from the dell site

i did this today for inspiron 1300 just put the service tag in and then got all the info pics etc i needed to open this one up and clean up fan, full thing took about hour to take apart full laptop clean and then assemble.

And was no comfy bits( were the f**k did they comfy)

davemac82
28th August, 2008, 08:39 PM
honestly m8 if you are not comfortable doing it take it to someone who knows what they are doing, if you really want to do it you have to be confident.

mini
28th August, 2008, 09:26 PM
cheers fellas for the reply, It's all on the dell website gona give it a shot.
Not that i'm tight or anything.

Thanks for the help...........

ZaFoD
28th August, 2008, 10:41 PM
hi Mini,

Dell's and HP's are well know for this problem.
You can get the new power sockets for a few quid on Flea Bay.
But you'll need really soldering skills to remove and replace the socket.

mini
30th August, 2008, 01:27 AM
yeah tell me about it, if I get it done professionaly it's gona cost ?100. Or I can do it myself where I'm bound to f*** somthing up, I got the guide from DELL but I have to strip it ALL down and then try and put it back together..
I'll give it my best shot..............

mini
4th September, 2008, 10:57 PM
Got it done took me a good hour. My soldering skills are not that good but its done the job. At the end of it I've only got one screw spare, so its worked out fine.

Thanks to everyone for there help, much appreciated.

ZaFoD
5th September, 2008, 02:15 AM
Your soldering skills are clearly better than mine then. lol
I'm glad you got fixed. :)

Dreamer
5th September, 2008, 05:46 AM
At the end of it I've only got one screw spare

Like Gazz10 says "were the f**k did they comfy"

I think the manufacturers put extra ones in deliberately, hidden in secret compartments that are activated when you open the cover. lol

:pcguru: