PDA

View Full Version : Lock Lubricant Recommendations

ps80l
1st August, 2018, 02:59 AM
I usually use some sort of lubricant on the older locks when I can't feel the springs. Usually I notice this with older Ford locks when Im trying to Lishi.
Have used WD40 which I know is bad for locks BUT Im there to get cuts no matter if lubricant is good or bad.

Today I had a lock that would not turn every once in a while. Key was new and cut by code. I tried the lubricant that's in the video below. 3 in 1 Dry lock lube....did not fixed issue.
I switched the modified straw onto a bottle of Tri-flow...which I had never used. WOW!!!! Lock work like new. Would not get stuck at all anymore....I wonder how long this will last??

So Im asking here what is your favorite lube to lishi with?
What is your favorite lube over all?

This thread is for automotive locks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J8M34Osibs

klesk1986
1st August, 2018, 03:12 AM
For locks i use Liqui Moly LM40 - i know that name is similar to WD40 - but it is ten times better and after long time locks still working (tested on my, spray 2 years ago and still working, car from '97).

darknezz19
1st August, 2018, 03:39 AM
Walmart sells some wd40 dry lube stuff for locks. Like 6 bucks for a big spray bottle with a nozzle that wont fall out.

http://media.supercheapauto.com.au/sca/images/zooms/347362-zoom.jpg

ps80l
1st August, 2018, 03:42 AM
Walmart sells some wd40 dry lube stuff for locks. Like 6 bucks for a big spray bottle with a nozzle that wont fall out.

So you use this for Lishi? General use?

PocketHero
1st August, 2018, 04:51 AM
There are some kind of stuff what I use regularly:

- Brake cleaner: fast & effective. Works @ very dirty locks too
- Keso, Mul-T-Lock or Assa spray: works without damaging the lock
- WD40: you know what it is
- Elzett lock spray: in long term usage it can easily damage the lock too

teerak2uk
1st August, 2018, 05:50 AM
Locks4vans do a good spray for their dead/slam locks

ps80l
2nd August, 2018, 01:51 AM
The stuff people have posted I don't recognize at all. ;-)
I tried tri-flow today to do lishi on an older Nissan. Worked amazing!!!

PocketHero
2nd August, 2018, 11:54 AM
The main problem is that, that many lubricants can leave bad suprises in the lock. For example WD40 helps for a while, but then transforms the factory used synthetic fat into a material what's like the overchewed chewing gum: fastens anything to anything and nearly impossible to get rid of it.

ps80l
2nd August, 2018, 01:32 PM
The main problem is that, that many lubricants can leave bad suprises in the lock. For example WD40 helps for a while, but then transforms the factory used synthetic fat into a material what's like the overchewed chewing gum: fastens anything to anything and nearly impossible to get rid of it.

Im sure everyone is aware of this. The thread here is for lubricants that help you get the job done and get paid. ;-) What happens to the lock in the future is another thing.

sleepyrz
2nd August, 2018, 10:09 PM
i prefer the wd40 lock dry lube comes in big and small cans

big can has the flip up straw

small can is nice for the bag

yes those are the exact same thing

i like it because the solvent that carries the lube will break up any old shiz in there and then it lubes it up real nice

smells nice

taste not so good

Meat-Head
2nd August, 2018, 10:34 PM
I work on therory of anything that smells good, not only destroys your lungs, it will work better.

also 3 in 1 I think is now owned by the ub40 company

as for brake cleaner, use carb cleaner

-1) has lubricant to oil the throttle flap, brake cleaner dont
2) eats carbon

szengen
2nd August, 2018, 10:42 PM
nivea .....,A:peaceful:,A joke, pure technical vaseline

ps80l
3rd August, 2018, 12:02 AM
Sleepyyrz...I tried that 3&1 on a lock and it was useless....Lock worked great after I used Tri-flow.

darknezz19
3rd August, 2018, 12:42 AM
Sleepyyrz...I tried that 3&1 on a lock and it was useless....Lock worked great after I used Tri-flow.

Did the straw not fit or just bad results? The straw is a big for some keyways but usually gets in there if you work it. Maybe need to try me some of that Tri-Flow.

ps80l
3rd August, 2018, 01:13 AM
Did the straw not fit or just bad results? The straw is a big for some keyways but usually gets in there if you work it. Maybe need to try me some of that Tri-Flow.

No....Not talking about the straw. Tri-flow is another brand of lubricant. I used the same straw design with both lubricants.

mojomojo
3rd August, 2018, 05:38 AM
Pb blaster is my preferred choice..not only is it a lubricant its mainly a
penetrate.. so if wafers are gummed up it wull loosen them right up, which is ideal for the moment to get maximize reading

http://blastercorp.com/mobile/

mojomojo
3rd August, 2018, 05:41 AM
Pb blaster is my preferred choice..not only is it a lubricant its mainly a
penetrate.. so if wafers are gummed up it wull loosen them right up, which is ideal for the moment to get maximize reading

http://blastercorp.com/mobile/

szengen
3rd August, 2018, 06:19 AM
Machine lubricants (Tovotte grease, Towot, incorrectly tabot, tawot [1]) - a group of lubricants containing refined mineral oils, thickeners (calcium soaps) and water as a stabilizer. Used for lubricating plain bearings and surfaces of machines working at low temperatures (from -10 to 60 ° C). Resistant to moisture [2].

Currently, commercially available lubricants in Poland called "Towot" are based on lithium thickener, and their operating temperature ranges from -20 ° C (or lower) to 120 ° C (or higher).

sleepyrz
4th August, 2018, 01:44 AM
you think it was the combo of lock dry lube and triflow???

have you tried experiments with tri flow alone?

ps80l
4th August, 2018, 02:07 AM
you think it was the combo of lock dry lube and triflow???

have you tried experiments with tri flow alone?

I did tri-flow alone on an older nissan lock....but that was just for lishi purposes.
I think the tri-flow worked on that locked 3&1 failed as it leaves an oily residue. That's why Im wondering how long it will actually last. Lock might be in worst condition once that oil dries up collecting crap. lol!!!