PDA

View Full Version : What is, and do I need a CAM\EMU?????

GGM
28th August, 2008, 11:24 AM
Hello,

As a newbie, I've found this forum to be a great source of information, Well done! By reading the many different threads I've learnt a lot about what I need to get the most out of my Linux Blackbox 500C, that it hopefully on it's way to me from 'www.buyingthings.co.uk' (Website order status has not updated from 'Processing' in 3 days?!?).

I understand that I will need to flash my 500C with an image (DK1.1), I also understand that I will need some Keys and Roms to go in the /VAR/KEYS and /VAR/SCCE folders. Thanks to the information on this forum, I have these bits and pieces ready. I'm familiar with networking, FTP, linux...etc and also have the tools and utilities for this.

So, my questions...

What is a CAM/EMU for and do I need one? If I do need one, is there one that works well with the DK1.1 image?

What is a JTAG cable for? I assume it is to allow you to replace the bootloader, and that I'm unlikely to need it unless I screw something up!?!

Will I need any settings or information for bouquets...etc, specific to where I live - Liverpool? I have VM Phone, BBand XL & just recived a V box from them for the spare room, Is there any technical information on the V box engineer's menu that could be useful?

I know that there are a lot of questions here and I'm sure once I get my 500C it will all become clear....or not! I would greatly appriciate anyone taking the time to shed some light here.

Regards

GGM

krazylegz
28th August, 2008, 11:29 AM
the cam/emu is already installed in the image m8, just ftp over the keys and roms to var/keys and var/scce go to skysports 1 and either restart emu or restart box using remote control and all will be well;)

GGM
28th August, 2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks krazylegz,
When you say 'Restart the emu', will this be done from an onscreen menu?

krazylegz
28th August, 2008, 12:15 PM
yeah m8 i think its the blue button, can say 100% as i'm dreamboxless at the min so cant check or go to sky sports 1 and press

menu--standby--restart box

cgscott
28th August, 2008, 01:16 PM
To restart the cam on dk1.1 hold the info button in for a few seconds and the menu for the cams will come up.

The cam installed already is evocam 2.12.

I prefer evocam 2.13 but thats just me being picky. Runs fine on evo 2.12.

You can also run the gbox cam when added a few things from the addons on the image.

This is one of the best images i have seen for this box.

Enjoy.

:party :

Devilfish
28th August, 2008, 01:51 PM
Here's more info...

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f35/keys-softcams-emulators-emu-770/

Consolez
31st August, 2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks for sharing ! For me it's also very usefull information !!