PDA

View Full Version : wireless n router poor signal

stevedunkgrass
24th November, 2009, 08:31 PM
I have a virgin netgear wnr2000 802.11n wireless router. works great next to my computer in the same room but downstairs loses signal and very weak. I think the problem could be related to the fact the router is in an extended part of the house. the signal has to go through a cavity wall. There is a large gap in the cavity wall about 3ft wide and 10ft high. I thought that wireless n routers had a better signal and would be ok. Now not sure wether to get a repeater or maybe a dual band router instead. Other things that could be causing interference might be bt synergy 4500 cordless phone and also we have wireless linked smoke alarms. any suggestions as to what might be the best route to take. thanks steve

caveman_nige
24th November, 2009, 08:47 PM
this router only seems to run on 2.4GHz and is not dual band as you say. So many household items run on that frequency range including baby monitors and microwaves and televisions i believe. The N series do have a greater transmisson range but like all can suffer with some types of walls, you may have more luck running one that can use 5GHz range..... if it was me i would buy one that could cover both... not worth getting a repeater you may as well just buy a better router than the freebie from VM, sell that one for 40 notes.. Netgear are good as are the Linksys Cisco jobbies

stevedunkgrass
24th November, 2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the reply. If i was to go for a 5ghz router would my laptop need to be compatable, it is a wireless draft n, or would I need to be a wireless dongle that works on 5ghz. thanks Steve

caveman_nige
24th November, 2009, 11:34 PM
what model is your wifi card?

stevedunkgrass
25th November, 2009, 01:43 PM
sorry baby woke and didnt get time to reply. the wifi card i intel wifilink 5100 agn. I have had a look online and says it works on 2.4 and 5ghz. any suggestion for a good dual router or single 5ghz router. dont realy want to spend much above ?100 if possible thanks

caveman_nige
25th November, 2009, 06:32 PM
those cards are fine.. I upgraded the wifi cards in a couple of my laptops with them...

try this for a router.. RANGEMAX DUAL BAND WIRELESS-N ROUTER (http://www.netgear.co.uk/wndr3300.php)

seems you can get em about ?35 on ebay Netgear Rangemax WNDR3300 802.11n Wireless Router on eBay (end time 11-Nov-09 18:42:57 GMT) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360206010789)

or http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179067

of course its your own choice on what you buy as it depends on how much you want to spend and your preferences etc..

stevedunkgrass
25th November, 2009, 07:34 PM
thanks caveman. i have seen this 1 wndr3700 which looks good for about ?130. the wndr 3300 also looks good and is cheap on ebay ?36. dont mind paying that bit extra if its better and hopefully more future proof. waht would you recommend or is there not much difference bar the price. Also I am on virgin broadband and will these work ok. thanks again

caveman_nige
26th November, 2009, 04:47 PM
it does look like a good one... it is compatible for use on VM broadband as it has a port for connecting your DSL Modem (supplied by VM), that is assuming that you do have cable broadband... If you have one of these dodgy ADSL broadband setups supplied by VM if your not in a catv area (BB supplied via telephone line and not the same cable as the TV) you will need an ADSL one..

stevedunkgrass
26th November, 2009, 08:15 PM
thanks caveman. I have ordered the wndr 3700 router. will post hear if it improves. Thanks for all your help.