PDA

View Full Version : Networking Windows 7 and XP

-Hox-
26th November, 2009, 09:27 PM
Hey all,

Has anyone managed to network Windows 7 and XP yet?

I've got three systems, one running XP and the other two on 7. I've tried everything I can think of, and have tried loads of random stuff from google too, but no luck! All I want to do is share files between them!

Any ideas anyone?!

Cheers!

malecm
26th November, 2009, 09:50 PM
Hello. Try the router with DHCP and on the computers you will have dynamic IP. Michal

-Hox-
26th November, 2009, 10:05 PM
Hello. Try the router with DHCP and on the computers you will have dynamic IP. Michal

Cheers, but all IP's are dynamic already according to my router!

dasteph
29th November, 2009, 12:35 PM
yes i have 3 pcs xp,vista and windows 7 on the same network and can access files from any one.
before you installed 7 i take it the pcs were networked yes.
is it that you are being denied access to files on 7 from xp as i had the same problem.

-Hox-
30th November, 2009, 05:46 PM
yes i have 3 pcs xp,vista and windows 7 on the same network and can access files from any one.
before you installed 7 i take it the pcs were networked yes.
is it that you are being denied access to files on 7 from xp as i had the same problem.

I just can't see the drives on anything. They were networked ok when all my systems ran XP, but now anymore!!

dasteph
30th November, 2009, 06:29 PM
as you stated that you are using dynamic ip is the dhcp server settings enabled on the router the following on mine states that [To use the DHCP server function of the router, you must configure all computers on the LAN as "Obtain an IP Address automatically" mode.] i had no trouble picking up shared folders on xp but xp to 7 i could not access any folders until i used the publc folders and set them to share so if i want to pass anything to xp i simply put them in the public folders.

smirnoff_rules
30th November, 2009, 06:55 PM
l was havin the same problem m8 when l upgraded to 7 . my media centre didnt like win7 at all . my xtreamer needed an update to work so there has to be a problem with the way 7 shares , as above l can only share public folders now

-Hox-
30th November, 2009, 09:25 PM
as you stated that you are using dynamic ip is the dhcp server settings enabled on the router the following on mine states that [To use the DHCP server function of the router, you must configure all computers on the LAN as "Obtain an IP Address automatically" mode.] i had no trouble picking up shared folders on xp but xp to 7 i could not access any folders until i used the publc folders and set them to share so if i want to pass anything to xp i simply put them in the public folders.

I can't even see the PC running XP on the network! The two running 7 are visable, but not the XP one which is what I want to share! Bloody things!

dasteph
30th November, 2009, 09:54 PM
I can't even see the PC running XP on the network! The two running 7 are visable, but not the XP one which is what I want to share! Bloody things!

if the 2pcs running 7 are visible then then your network must be ok, what are you using to check for xp, in control panel,network sharing center there is a link to see a network map if you click on it, it will show all pcs running 7 or vista on the network but it will not show xp rather it will tell that it has discovered other devices that it cannot place on the map ie an icon of you xp pc, i take it all folders on xp are set up for sharing.

smirnoff_rules
30th November, 2009, 10:22 PM
might be worth installing network magic on the xp pc and open sharing in that program . it looks for fault and repairs RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting (http://rapidshare.com/files/195577234/networkmagic.5.rar)

install then close in task manager then install the 2 patches m8

-Hox-
30th November, 2009, 11:27 PM
if the 2pcs running 7 are visible then then your network must be ok, what are you using to check for xp, in control panel,network sharing center there is a link to see a network map if you click on it, it will show all pcs running 7 or vista on the network but it will not show xp rather it will tell that it has discovered other devices that it cannot place on the map ie an icon of you xp pc, i take it all folders on xp are set up for sharing.

Ok, this is weird. It's showing my Laptop (7), one of my desktops (7), AND my other desktop (XP)... So it know's it's there, but doesn't want to play. I've shared both drives in the XP PC, so they should be ready to roll... :stupid:

-Hox-
30th November, 2009, 11:27 PM
might be worth installing network magic on the xp pc and open sharing in that program . it looks for fault and repairs RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting (http://rapidshare.com/files/195577234/networkmagic.5.rar)

install then close in task manager then install the 2 patches m8

Cheers mate, might have to give that a go if this keep up!

dasteph
1st December, 2009, 11:08 AM
Ok, this is weird. It's showing my Laptop (7), one of my desktops (7), AND my other desktop (XP)... So it know's it's there, but doesn't want to play. I've shared both drives in the XP PC, so they should be ready to roll... :stupid:

try to share folders not drives if you do not you will not get access to the folders on the drive and see if that works also have you allowed access through your firewall as a trusted zone as this sometimes stops access, switch your firewalls of on xp and 7 then try.

shedder101
5th December, 2009, 06:54 PM
the problem is with 7's firewall and the domain

you need to disable the firewalls for the domain for local LAN as you will see you have 2 firewall settings on 7 local and public, keep the public one on if you have a lap top and using it outside and one on XP that is about as much use as a wire mesh, switch it off your comp will be quicker and networking will be a doddle. if you want a fire wall get a third party one, takes me 2sec to get round an XP firewall remotely.

create a new domain for all the computers dont use workgroup as its default so everyone can access that call it someting else

7 is bassed on server 2003 and 8 with a different GUE front end so it is always looking for user accounts, they came up with homegroup,"joke" with a password generated, to this day havent got that to work on anything but another 7 machine if you use this be prepared for days of problems

simple way is to create a group of users and allow dedicated folders to be accessed with correct permission's

I found it easy as I have a serve running 2003 at home so the domain and 7 loved it, mind you until i closed my firewall i had problems talking to other computers on the domain. I can see them, i can open the comp to see the file, will it allow access to the file, Yes and no depends on the day and the weather i think. i have no problems now as all the machines on my LAN have the private firewall settings disabled and we all have access to the server

my network is 7PC's wired and wireless 1 file and web server, Media centre, games machines, as well as the odd customer pc and they all talk ok. i have "N" wireless and a gigabit switch so no bandwidth problems

XP was great simples, loves networks Vista with all its faults did what it said on the tin.

7 love it but hate setting up a network with it, with the Beta and now this the firewall is to blame in all cases.

Remember if your running a good router you have a firewall protecting your LAN you dont need more closed doors inside........

m9g
22nd January, 2010, 07:20 PM
check your antivirus software to allow access, I had this prob with norton years ago, dont use the rubbish now, I use ESET

Regards

ABGSM2006
2nd March, 2010, 11:30 PM
There is different between network in windows xp and windows 7 , use dynamic ip ( For windows xp you can use static ip) , in windows xp LAN IP 192.168.0.xxx but in windows 7 LAN IP 192.168.137.xxx

KARDELEN
10th March, 2010, 10:29 PM
thanks......