PDA

View Full Version : Iffy question regarding the Geforce 8800 GTX

Raven
31st August, 2008, 04:40 PM
If anyone here happens to own one of these cards (geforce 8800 GTX) or if anyone knows for certain regardless, could somebody please help to clear this up for me and any help is much appreciated as always. :)

Basically about a year ago I bought a Geforce 8800GT however long story short it wouldn't work because of incompatibilities in the PCI config and my motherboard, that being the card was using PCI Express 2.0 architecture by default and wouldnt work without flashing the card manually. Personally I reckon my card was faulty too that plus PSU most probably being insufficient.

Anyway can anybody confirm if the Geforce 8800 GTX uses PCI 2.0 architecture or just the normal PCI x16 out of the box ?

I apologise if I made a mess of the terminology there if there's anybody technically minded here who really knows this particular subject, to rephrase it I need to know if the GTX is GEN2 or GEN1 by default.

Any help is greatly appreciated and apologies if I haven't made myself perfectly clear, it's a bloody tough one to put into words lol.

Cheers.

gazz10
1st September, 2008, 09:18 PM
Have a read here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_Series

Raven
2nd September, 2008, 06:52 PM
Cheers gaz m8 the efforts much appreciated however that wiki article doesn't really tell me anything that i don't already know....the reason I asked about the GTX compatibility is because it's not mentioned anywhere that it is or isn't PCI Express 2.0 unlike the GT equivalent, of course I need to be absolutely sure before I plunk down the dosh for the card.....on the other hand would I not be better of just buying an EVGA brand 8800GT knowing full well it's not going to work straight away and just download the EVGA windows based flash therefore making it compatible ?

I'm kind of not sure what to do for the better on this one, one thing is for certain though I'm upgrading my PSU first before I do anything else lol.