PDA

View Full Version : firmware

sarahiouise
31st August, 2008, 10:46 PM
Can anyone help me please, i`m new to all this and a beginer when it comes to computers. "click on browse and locate firmware" . what is a firmware and how do i find it on my computer. can you tell me in laymans terms. thank you.

Curious123
31st August, 2008, 11:32 PM
The Eurovox needs special programs/firmware to open the encrypted channels. You would need to identify the model of your eurovox before you could 'flash ' it with the correct firmware. Once you know what model of eurovox you have you can download and install this program onto your eurvox by connecting your computer with the eurovox using a null modem cable which can be purchased from a well known auction site or your local Maplins.

sarahiouise
31st August, 2008, 11:48 PM
I have a euro-vox blue 2006 i got the null cable from box to usb were do i go for a good firmware, i`v try dnupman and eurovox but when i try to download it tells me invalid file. I have not got a clue what i`m doing, its driving me mad. and what is channel data

caveman_nige
31st August, 2008, 11:57 PM
Just as a footnote to what Curious has said, you seemed to ask about firmware and what exactly it is. Firmware is a computer program that is embedded in a hardware device, for example a microcontroller. It can also be provided on flash memory (usb stick or memory card) or as a binary image file (bin file) that can be uploaded onto existing hardware by a user. As its name suggests, firmware is somewhere between hardware and software. Like software, it is a computer program which is executed by a microprocessor or a microcontroller. But it is also tightly linked to a piece of hardware, and has little meaning outside of it.

Sometimes an unofficial new or modified version of firmware is created by third parties to provide new features or unlock hidden functionality. Examples include Rockbox for digital audio players, CHDK for Canon digital cameras, and OpenWRT for wireless routers, as well as many homebrew projects for gaming consoles. These can often unlock general purpose computing functionality in previously limited devices (e.g., running Doom on iPods). Most firmware hacks are free and open source software as well.

These hacks usually take advantage of the firmware update facility on many devices to install or run themselves. Some, however, must resort to exploits in order to run, because the manufacturer has attempted to lock the hardware to stop it from running unlicensed code

Hope this help a little and does not cause further confusion..

Good luck, hang in there it will all start to make sense after a while... We all had to start somewhere..