PDA

View Full Version : Web Interface

ZaFoD
1st September, 2008, 07:07 PM
Hi Guys,

I was reading the chat box on the home page, when something occured to me.
On the Web Interface how do you go about changing the standard port.
Can it be done in the image settings, or would I have to edit one of the config files. ?

Ports 80, 443 and 8080 are already taken here. :(

Devilfish
1st September, 2008, 07:56 PM
The ports are defined in the /etc/services file and this is read-only so I don't see a way of changing it.

I tried to put a copy in /var/etc but it didn't see it.

Maybe you could do something with port forwarding on your router, i.e. forward an internal port 21 to and external 2021, if that's possible.

Not sure why you would want to change then anyway.

ZaFoD
2nd September, 2008, 12:47 AM
Hi Devilfish,
Congrats on the 6000+ :)

Is it not possible to change the permissions of the files on any of the Dreamboxes ?

Port forwarding or re-directing will only work if nothing else was using that port.
But i'm already running Filezilla and Apache on ports 21 and 80 which I can't change, As its work related, plus I wouldn't want to try and explain to customers (noobies) how to switch ports in all their different browsers. :(

Windows Home Server, which is set to use https (port 443) plus a handful of others for family and remote access.

I was using WebGuide on (port 444) to control MCE and was hoping I could drop that and use the Dreambox Web Interface to setup recordings.

Devilfish
2nd September, 2008, 11:13 AM
Can you not forward the ip of the dreambox to any port you want?

I'm not clued up on this sort of thing, just throwing ideas up lol.

ZaFoD
2nd September, 2008, 12:42 PM
Can you not forward the ip of the dreambox to any port you want?

I'm not clued up on this sort of thing, just throwing ideas up lol.

Yes you can.
But it won't work, if your already using that port. :(

If the Dreambox is locked to port 80 then you can use the Router to 'Forward' any port number from the Net to the Dreambox.
i.e. If I use mydomain.co.uk:999 (http://www.mydomain.co.uk) in my browser, the Router can 'Forward' the packets coming into port 999 to port 80 on the Dreambox.
But, Apache is already using the standard http: port, which is port 80.
This will cause problems behind the Router with both boxes trying to recieve the packets. :(

No worries, I know people with IIS certs that still don't understand this stuff. lol.

p.s. I saw your guide to making your own Dreambox image.
Could the port number be changed or better still the actual file made r/w in the source files before its complied ?

Devilfish
2nd September, 2008, 04:47 PM
Yes the file can be changed before the final compile is done.

Have a look at the /etc/services file, adjust it to how you would like it and drop it here, I'll compile you a DK v1.1 image with that in it.

Would that work? :)

ZaFoD
3rd September, 2008, 03:27 AM
Thanks Devilfish,
Thats very nice of you :)

Once my DM500/Blackbox gets here i'll let you know.

tinbox11
3rd September, 2008, 09:34 AM
copy the service file onto your PC, change the port setting to one that is not use in your network -- port 8080, port 8989.

use dreamup with ftp mode, change the service file permission to 777 then upload your edited file back onto the DBox, reboot the DBox.

Test this inside your home network, when your happy with it and want to be accessible via internet then use port forwarding from your router to direct all traffic of port 8080 or any port number (make sure it is not use for other things, mine 8989) to the Dbox:

example -

external: any port 8080 to internal: dbox IP port 8080.

Have fun.

Devilfish
3rd September, 2008, 10:13 AM
The /etc folder is read-only, how can you overwrite anything in there with dreamup?