PDA

View Full Version : Virgin cable/Broadband

danb07
1st September, 2008, 10:00 PM
Hi Guys, Youve all been dead helpful before so Iam sure somebody here will be able to help me!! hopefully! ha ha... I am already hooked up to virgin cable at home with a Eurovox ex5000! A friend of mine has just moved into a new house, which has a sat dish set up and also an old cable box on the wall... It worked for me hooking up to an old cable so i thought I would take my box over... hook it up and it would work the same! IT DIDNT!!!! Power Scanned and not much came up, nothing to be honest!! Perhaps the feed has been cut... Would the guy who installed sky have cut the feed somewhere? Or maybe mate lives in digital area? Postcode is sutton coldfield if that helps? Erm... Also does anyone know if the feed has been cut... if he got virgin cable installed.. I heard that they put a new box in the house of which you connect your router to and this same box has a cable tv connection? Just a rumour I heard but iam not entirely sure of! Thanks a lot for your help in advance! Apreciate it!!

lorrebreaker
2nd September, 2008, 07:39 AM
Try going to the virginmedia site and putting in your m8s postcode and see what services virginmedia have for that area. I think you'll possibly find that they dont offer digital tv in that area.

Similar situation to the M38 area of Manchester possibly.

danb07
2nd September, 2008, 10:04 AM
Yeah I have done that... Virgin suggest that he lives in an analogue area... This means I should of been able to connect... Strange! The cable must be dead! Do you think if he got broadband installed then tv would be installed too as part of the same unit installation?

lorrebreaker
2nd September, 2008, 10:11 AM
If he gets broadband installed then you can definately split that connection and get *some* channels but from past experience you wont get them all if his area is analogue only.

I've tried this with a relative of mine who lives in an analogue only area of Manchester and he gets nothing like the number of channels that you probably get on your box.

danb07
2nd September, 2008, 10:17 AM
oh ok... I see! Thanks for your reply!! How is this connection split? I get id say 300 plus channels... And this is through a really old cable.. say 7 years old!! Surely this is analogue too? What do you think?

lorrebreaker
2nd September, 2008, 10:24 AM
Sounds like your area is digital though (try your postcode on the VM site).

Shops like maplins have splitters in store, there simple to install (nothing to it). But if he's analogue only then he still wont receive all the channels even with broadband installed.

Ive been trying to sort this for probably about a year now and tried all kinds of signal boosters but you only get the odd extra channel with the ones ive tried.

danb07
2nd September, 2008, 05:15 PM
Oh ok i see what you mean now... thanks again for your help!! I didnt realise you could connect cable box and inet through same cable... I will let you know how I get on!! Hope it helps others too!