PDA

View Full Version : Big problem!

cgscott
1st September, 2008, 11:07 PM
When i do a google search with the toolbar on mozilla i get what im looking for but when i click the link it sends it to another search engine or another site.

This problem is driving me mad.

also when i do a virus ad spy etc scan nothing is found.

I have even downloaded Hijack this and there is nothin visible to me that can be causing this problem.

Although i think it is a Browswer hack but cannot locate the file anywhere.

Any advice appreciated.

Also when i type the site addy in the adress bar i get the site but cannot click links within the site.

Must note some sites work others not.

I cannot click the inbox on my emailaccount and check my emails.

Any idea what this could be guys?

I have uninstalled and done a fresh install of firefox but to no avail.

When i try open internet explorer my pc crashes.

Then i need to reboot.

ZaFoD
2nd September, 2008, 01:25 AM
Hi cgscott,

Sounds like your browser has been hi-jacked.
If you can't find any nasty programs that are doing it, you'll to repair either your 'hosts' file or 'registry' :(

I'm adding a basic 'Microsoft' hosts file, which if your lucky will solve the problem after a reboot. BUT, as its a basic version it may mess with your Anti-Virus/Spam/Spyware/Firewall programs. Re-installing them again should fix this.

1. Go to Start -> Run and type C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
This will bring up the folder that countains your 'HOSTS' file.
2. Rename or Move your 'HOSTS' file, then add the one from the 'hosts.zip' attached.
3. Reboot. And hopefully you can browse again. :)

p.s. You have to fight with the UCA if your using Vista, as you need Administrator Rights to do this.

Good Luck. :)

cgscott
2nd September, 2008, 09:24 PM
Tried my best mate but ended up with fresh install. Boohoo. :mad:

never mind run like a dream now.

:bounce::rangers2:

davemac82
2nd September, 2008, 09:38 PM
try downloading this m8
Digital Kaos - Downloads - smitfraud fix (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/downloads/pc/9/smitfraud-fix-316/)

your browser has been hijacked you more than likely have some sort of rogue antivirus on your system aswell if the above doesnt work do a google search for an application called rogueremover and that should do the trick if not let me know and ill try to help you out.

cgscott
2nd September, 2008, 10:03 PM
Cheers mate but done a fresh install. Spybot picked up a monster amount of registry bad boys so i just done a fresh one.

Not bad in the end still got what i need from backup.

Cheers anyway. I will look into what you mean as to prevent the same from happening again.

ZaFoD
3rd September, 2008, 03:52 AM
Sorry it didn't help, but a fresh install is always nice once in a while. :)