PDA

View Full Version : protek what does it open

sproson
2nd December, 2009, 09:52 PM
now we have lost most vm boxes (thanks vm) what can the protek open (disnney channel for the kids) also can i c/s with this box? thanks

Sat-Shop
2nd December, 2009, 10:54 PM
Decent site for what's working and what's not is here Onlinelist (http://www.xvision.skynolimit.com/nanoxx/onlinelist/Output.php) (once flashed with the right firmware).

These are not sharing receivers in the true sence, they only work one way, you can't re-share to anyone else and you have little control over what you do or don't get, having said that they've proved fairly reliable and a cracking price for what they are...

tshirtman
3rd December, 2009, 01:26 AM
I too am starting to look at the satellite route(N3-Leeds), and have spent the last several hours trawling through the site for the best way to go, protek ip seems to be my best option as i know jack about linux, cable is so much easier to get your head round than satellite, I too want to know what channels you get, I know it may sound daft but do you get all the freesat channels as well as the one's in the link above, and can you scan for more, I think what I'm asking is, how many channels do you get in total or does it vary, after the last four years only reading about cable boxes i have a lot to learn, many thanx for any help, I'm sure there will be many other cable users now doing the same as sproson and me

Sat-Shop
3rd December, 2009, 10:18 AM
Yes ignoring what 'extra' channels the Protek can get for a moment then it'll work just fine as a FTA receiver as well, so whatever your dish is pointing to you will be able to receive whatever free channels they are offering...

There are probably 3 popular setups in the UK (though by no means the only 3!), one is to have a dish pointing at whats often called Astra 2 which is at 28.2 degrees east, this is where Sky and Freesat broadcast from, so you could receive all the SD channels that are intended for Freeview with any FTA receiver, what you don't get is the fancy EPG that you would with a Freesat specific receiver...

Second option is a fixed dish, often 80cm in a lot of the UK with a monoblock LNB, this is basically two LNBs in one and allows you to receive 2 satellites from one fixed dish, this is normally pointed to the Astra 1 satellites at 19.2 degrees east and Hotbird satellites and 13 degrees east. These two satellites are the hot spots for most European packages, they included Sky Germany, Sky Italia, Canal+ (French/Dutch/Polish), Nova and plenty of adult stuff (there is LOADS more but this is just a quick preview), this is where something like the Protek would come into its own, if you have a look on that list you will see the packages it can open and you'll find most of them are on these two satellites...

Third option is a full motorised setup. Dish size can be anything you want but as a general rule the bigger the better, minimum really is 80cm! Here you have a dish with a Diseqc motor on and providing the satellite receiver is also Diseqc compatible you can control everything down a single coax cable (upto dish size of approx. 1.2m otherwise the motor would probably strugle). This would let you view satellites from horizon to horizon once it's been setup correctly, this includes the 3 satellites mentioned above and plenty more in between, this of course though will depend on your location in the country and the location of the dish itself and if it has line of site to the various satellites. It is the most complicated of the three to have setup, but it's by no means out of a lot of peoples scope, there are loads and loads of info and videos on setting these things up and if not there are always local installers that can do the job for you.

Hope that gives you some ideas, as I say it's by no means the only options and I've not really mentioned other satellites and packages which maybe of interest to some, but at least it gives an idea as to what others are doing...

:)

mark36
3rd December, 2009, 11:59 AM
just want to concur what satshop has said but you'll only really get the best out of this box if you go motorised.19.2 and 13.0 have plenty but there's so much more to be had with a motorised system.obviously a bit more expensive to set up initially but cheaper in the long run.

freck
3rd December, 2009, 08:34 PM
now we have lost most vm boxes (thanks vm) what can the protek open (disnney channel for the kids) also can i c/s with this box? thanks
it does open disney but are your kids german?
It opens sky movies and other movie channels,discovery and dmax plus 13 ~~~~ channels on sexview,sky sports germany and ehm!! cant think of what else off hand but i'd recommend a motorised setup for it tho.altho i havent really looked into the multi lnb option on a static dish

.: JaCkPoT :.
13th December, 2009, 03:39 AM
All of the sky germany package use german And english audio. That includes disney, sports And movies