PDA

View Full Version : noob to satellite

shady77
3rd September, 2008, 01:53 PM
hi all, been messing around with cable for a couple of years now, but theres something about satellite thats intriguing and i want to give it a go.
i would be using a dreambox 500s as i can use the excellent dk image on it and i feel comfortable with the dreambox.
i have an old sky dish on the house and am aware that i could pick up fta channels. but what else can i pick up with this set up if anything?
is this the best box? i am looking for entry level stuff.
can anybody help me?

westkill
3rd September, 2008, 02:41 PM
with a sky dish its pointed at a sattelitte for uk sky channels and your fta channels at 28.2 east same as a (freeview box sort of thing) :)
so you wont get any thing else unless you try turning the dish to the right to 19.2 you might pick some thing but depends where you live lol
so a lot of people go for a motorised setup with a bigger dish :)

.: JaCkPoT :.
3rd September, 2008, 03:57 PM
For a starter turn your dish to 19.2e as this is a good starter sat. Noting can be opened on 28.2e unless you cardshare. Theres a package called premiere there which opens but unfortunatetly they are going to nds and nagra3 so soon itll be gone but they show alot of football including some 3pm games with english and high quality picture. They will show arsenals 3pm game with blackburn and liverpools later this month. They show every other game too. This is the sat we went to first. Make sure you are comfortable with sats and you like it before you spend big with a motor and a bigger dish.

ZaFoD
3rd September, 2008, 04:48 PM
Hi Guys,

Sorry about hi-jacking your thread Shady :embarassed:
But can just confirm something about what has been said here, as it may save me alot of trouble around Xmas.

Our flats are being wired up for Sly in the next few months.
I believe they will be replacing the big Communal TV Ariel on the roof with a Dish and sending their feed to each flat, down the coax thats already used as a Communal Ariel. Only changing the TV/Radio wall socket to a TV/Radio/Sat socket when they install the Sly Box.

I was hoping to get a DM500s or DM600s and connect it up the Sat feed on the Communal Ariel. I know this won't allow me to watch the Sly channels, but will I recieve more than the standard FreeView channels ?
In which case I'd be just as well off saving my money and using my old OnDigital box instead.

Thanks Guys.

westkill
3rd September, 2008, 05:04 PM
Hi Guys,

Sorry about hi-jacking your thread Shady :embarassed:
But can just confirm something about what has been said here, as it may save me alot of trouble around Xmas.

Our flats are being wired up for Sly in the next few months.
I believe they will be replacing the big Communal TV Ariel on the roof with a Dish and sending their feed to each flat, down the coax thats already used as a Communal Ariel. Only changing the TV/Radio wall socket to a TV/Radio/Sat socket when they install the Sly Box.

I was hoping to get a DM500s or DM600s and connect it up the Sat feed on the Communal Ariel. I know this won't allow me to watch the Sly channels, but will I recieve more than the standard FreeView channels ?
In which case I'd be just as well off saving my money and using my old OnDigital box instead.

Thanks Guys.ondigital i guess can be used as a freeview box from the comunual arieal , but wont be able to use if they change it to a comnual sat,if a comunual sat any dreambox- s will work ,if not wanting to sign up to sky maybe think about getting a hd freesat box with hardrive if you have a hd tv :)

krazylegz
3rd September, 2008, 05:09 PM
or ring sky up for a ftv card only about 20 quid m8, but i would do as westkill recommends and get a freesat box

shady77
3rd September, 2008, 05:37 PM
apology NOT ACCEPTED zafod!!!:hmpf:
give me your address so i can kill you!!! lol
no probs mate sadiq told me what i needed to know:cheers:

ZaFoD
3rd September, 2008, 08:00 PM
Damn good thinking guys.
I like the HD FreeSat box idea. :)

Thanks

even you shady... aleast you didn't set any cbeebies watchers after me... :p

3rd September, 2008, 10:22 PM
I dont see the point of a hd receiver especially when theres only 2 channels which are hd. Bbc and itv. If use a sky receiver and a freesat card

ZaFoD
4th September, 2008, 12:54 AM
I'm paying for a TVDrive at the moment, which only has one HD channel, moving to a HD FreeSat box would save me money and double my HD content. :)

Plus with abit of luck they'll be more than 2 when the switch over happens.

4th September, 2008, 04:26 AM
I'm paying for a TVDrive at the moment, which only has one HD channel, moving to a HD FreeSat box would save me money and double my HD content. :)

Plus with abit of luck they'll be more than 2 when the switch over happens.

Wow 2 whole HD channels. lol there is no switchover for satellite users. Only to terrestrial. Unrelated to satellite so doubt any channel increase here.

ZaFoD
4th September, 2008, 05:11 PM
Wow 2 whole HD channels. lol there is no switchover for satellite users. Only to terrestrial. Unrelated to satellite so doubt any channel increase here.

Hey its a 100% increase, thats not bad lol

Both Sat and Cable technically won't be affected by the switch over as you say. But once its happened new channels will be added to FreeView (hopfully some will be HD) These channels will also be included in the Sly, Vermin and FreeSat channel lineups. ;)

4th September, 2008, 05:15 PM
yes but thats after all locations hav switched over.