PDA

View Full Version : Flashing Dreambox newbie

saintmark
5th December, 2009, 11:37 PM
Hi guys, do i need to flash erase before flashing a new gemini image to my dreambox?

Curious123
5th December, 2009, 11:42 PM
Hi guys, do i need to flash erase before flashing a new gemini image to my dreambox?

Is it a dm500 you have and if so do you really want to flash a gemini image to your box?

saintmark
5th December, 2009, 11:43 PM
yes its a 500s and if not gemini which should i use?

opsmonkey
5th December, 2009, 11:47 PM
all new D500s are clones.. if you want to use Gemini make sure it is Gemini 4.2 (available in the download section here)

Versions later than 4.2 will brick your clone box

saintmark
5th December, 2009, 11:49 PM
ok will try 4.2, do i need to flash delete first or just flash over the top?

opsmonkey
5th December, 2009, 11:55 PM
does your box currently have an image on..?

saintmark
6th December, 2009, 12:00 AM
its got the original dreambox software i think, i read on here that if the mac address began 00:09 then i was in with a chance of it being genuine box

opsmonkey
6th December, 2009, 12:03 AM
trust me its not a genuine.. Dreambox havent made them for over 2 years and their old stock flew out..

It'll be a clone box that's had its MAC changed by the chinese supplier

Flash your image over the top

Curious123
6th December, 2009, 12:05 AM
its got the original dreambox software i think, i read on here that if the mac address began 00:09 then i was in with a chance of it being genuine box

If you don't know a genuine supplier of dreamboxes than your box is a clone and flashing it with a gemini image will kill the box but you will be fine if you flash it with image specified by opsmonkey. I have never seen the attraction of Gemini images and prefer to use the Pli images. i have always done a flash erase on all my boxes when I flash my dreamboxes as I prefer to start with a clean image.

saintmark
6th December, 2009, 12:09 AM
so i take it Pli wont kill my box then is this a better option?

opsmonkey
6th December, 2009, 12:13 AM
its personal preference mate.. why not try them both and stick with your fave ;)

i only use Gemini 4.2 as i have a genuine box that i bought years back.. I never upgraded it as it clear the channels i need to watch the football each week

saintmark
6th December, 2009, 12:15 AM
Ok Thanks for your advice guys, i will try both and see what happens if all else fails i have backed up the original.

Curious123
6th December, 2009, 12:17 AM
so i take it Pli wont kill my box then is this a better option?

The Pli iamge won't kill your box but as far as the best image is really down to yourself. Gemini images are known to be very good but people have moved away from their images after one of their images killed clone dreamboxes and people felt that the gemini team had deserted their roots by in some peoples eyes colluding with Dream multimedia to kill clone dreamboxes. Your box your choice as to what you use on your box.

whyohwai
11th December, 2009, 12:29 PM
which pli image is best to use?