PDA

View Full Version : Original Tools Vs Clone Tools: Why is there so much beef??

battleship7
9th December, 2018, 05:18 PM
Whenever I hear a person with a Original tool speak to a person with clone, they are usually bitter upon discovery he is using clone. And I really wanted to understand why? Just to be clear I am not endorsing any product here but I would like to see things with a clear mind. I know a lot of people here actually have clone tools (whether from China or Europe) even if they wont admit (for fear of losing respect or some kind of credibility from peers)

I have also seen that those clones work just as good as original in most of the cases. Then my biggest question is why are those original tools so mad expensive? Cheapest is probably the KTAG starting from at least €2000 with others demanding up to €8000 excluding subsequent annual licenses and updates, add-ons, up-sells or other bullshit. The fact that someone from china is able to clone a tool and make money selling it for a small fraction of the cost (like less than 10%) and is able to deliver the same results makes me wonder. Is the price of these original tools even justified? Or deliberately overpriced? I mean if materials of the unit are like US$50 bucks why should original buyers be asked to pay €2000 or €8000 upfront? Seems to me this is how the clone market came to life. Over a period of time the market determined the product (value + materials) is not justifying the price tag hence the existence of cheaper clones. My analogy could be wrong. What do you think?

If you go about this forum and other tuners forums you sense some kind of antagonism between clone owners and original owners. In my opinion that beef is misplaced and should probably be with manufacturer for incorrect pricing.

Perhaps its protectionism? And I wouldn’t be surprised

What do you guys think about this?

makura
9th December, 2018, 05:33 PM
You are looking at this with a very shallow view,it doesnt take meterial only,how about years of reserch,trial and error,the design of how it should work and how it should not brick your units?
After all that hard work some coms and just clones it over night,if you were a developer(which i am not)you would understand the money and time it takes to get a prototype and later a finished product.You would understand the beef from the guy who supports the original designer and some one who later buys it for a fraction of what he bought for.
This is my take on your topic and frankly dont get the point to it.

battleship7
9th December, 2018, 06:13 PM
You are looking at this with a very shallow view,it doesnt take meterial only,how about years of reserch,trial and error,the design of how it should work and how it should not brick your units?
After all that hard work some coms and just clones it over night,if you were a developer(which i am not)you would understand the money and time it takes to get a prototype and later a finished product.You would understand the beef from the guy who supports the original designer and some one who later buys it for a fraction of what he bought for.
This is my take on your topic and frankly dont get the point to it.

I understand your point but does it justify a 90% difference in price? If cocacola used the same pricing model maybe none of us could afford it a bottle of coke. I doubt they would be popular and rich too. If Thomas Edson( guy who made the light bulb) used the same model we could all be in the dark right now (history says he attempted 5000 times to perfect ).

Another thing to consider, I was just looking at BDM Adaptors ( I wont name the supplier) but he charges 71 pounds for 1 yet in China same PCB like cards with a few pins and spring loaded needles is going for $100 a set of 22. Perhaps it took years of research too to come up with a PCB card with some spring loaded needles too.

makura
9th December, 2018, 06:17 PM
It sounds like you have the beef you are talking about

battleship7
9th December, 2018, 06:21 PM
It sounds like you have the beef you are talking about

Lol not at all