PDA

View Full Version : Problem with steering angle sensor - VW Golf V 2008

peetee25
4th January, 2019, 06:17 PM
Hi, one guy come to me with Golf V Variant 2008 and he told me that on the dashboard lights up ABS and ESP since the battery was dead. I scanned unit with VCDS and in fault codes were these: 01486 - ESP System function test and 00778 - Steering angle sensor (G85) No or incorrect basic settings.
As first we tried to FINISH ESP system function test but nothing happend. We tried it with VCDS and original ODIS but still nothing. Then we tried to do G85 adaptation and when we started, all channels become red (failure). This still happen in other tries. Brake electronics version is MK60 EC1 --- steering 2nd generation. I need help with this because I don't want to pay 115€ for new G85 if it shouldn't be faulty.

Thanks for replies.

Peter.

autoden
4th January, 2019, 06:34 PM
Drive vehicle in supermarket carpark, do zig zag, lock to lock. Sometimes helps to reset.

peetee25
4th January, 2019, 08:14 PM
Thanks, I tried that but still nothing change...

telegu
4th January, 2019, 08:18 PM
Start the vehicle.
Turn the steering wheel one turn to the right and one turn to the left.
Drive in a short distance straight line on a level surface at a speed not higher than 20 km/h.
If the steering wheel is straight during the test drive then stop the vehicle with the wheels pointed straight.
Ensure that the steering wheel is not moved again.
Keep the engine running and do not switch off the ignition.

Center steering wheel (±10°) and hold it centered for 5 seconds.
Turn steering wheel completely to the left and hold it there for 10 seconds.
Turn steering wheel completely to the right and hold it there for 10 seconds.
Center steering wheel (±10°).
Switch OFF engine and ignition.
Switch ON ignition.
Wait 5 seconds.
Steering Assist Warning Lamp should turn OFF. If it doesn't, perform a short test drive.

peetee25
5th January, 2019, 05:42 PM
Start the vehicle.
Turn the steering wheel one turn to the right and one turn to the left.
Drive in a short distance straight line on a level surface at a speed not higher than 20 km/h.
If the steering wheel is straight during the test drive then stop the vehicle with the wheels pointed straight.
Ensure that the steering wheel is not moved again.
Keep the engine running and do not switch off the ignition.

Center steering wheel (±10°) and hold it centered for 5 seconds.
Turn steering wheel completely to the left and hold it there for 10 seconds.
Turn steering wheel completely to the right and hold it there for 10 seconds.
Center steering wheel (±10°).
Switch OFF engine and ignition.
Switch ON ignition.
Wait 5 seconds.
Steering Assist Warning Lamp should turn OFF. If it doesn't, perform a short test drive.

Thanks, today I was trying doing this for 2 hours but nothing. Today we loaded new software in brake electronics, and ESP system function test is still in faults, we tried to do the test but nothing works. I really don't know what is with this car.

But when problems started the battery was dead, I think they want to recharge battery or jumpstart and they changed polarity and they shortcuted ABS control unit but I don't know if this is possible.

Dunker
5th January, 2019, 09:02 PM
Look at the live data for steering angle and steering torque/rotation rate - whichever it is, can't remember. If either not changing when steering wheel turned basic settings will not work. It will just make it worse by stiffening the steering. If just steering angle not changing but the other is and then you try to do basic settings it will kill the other as well. Angle sensor is usually 10 pin. 1 earth, 2 x 5v feeds ( 1 to power IR transmit and 1 to power IR receive) and 7 for the 7 IR sensors inside the angle sensor. Easy enough to check if it is working on bench or in car with bottom of module case removed with a scope or even a multimeter. When 00778 appears after bad battery etc. and the live data shows no movement, 9 times out if 10 it's not the sensor but one of the 5v feeds from the module, maybe software fault? I've seen this quite a few times on Golfs etc. and just about every Seat Leon that has this problem. As usual, overpriced German shite. And used modules from eBay rarely work.