PDA

View Full Version : BMW 850i E31 from 1992

filiprow
12th January, 2019, 11:06 AM
Hi Everyone,

Today I looked at the BMW 850i E31 1992, the customer requires the following:

- adjusting the odometer
- converting the current reading from miles to kilometers

Thanks to other users here on DK I have found that the mileage can be adjusted by changing the 93C56 in the EKM module and not the cluster (hope someone here can confirm that before I jump onto the job :).

The biggest question however is how to change the MILES to KM in the display? Can it be done by eeprom or the customer will require the dashboard from a KM vehicle?

I will appreciate any advice or suggestions.

baze007
12th January, 2019, 05:44 PM
You need:

Interface and software to code BMW modules
Metric tacho/speedometer gauges

Coding is usually performed through BMW Progman (in BMW DIS v44 and older or BMW SSS) or BMW NCS Expert

But even if you would take a German instrument cluster (kilometers) and put it in a UK car (miles) according to the instructions given in the link above, the "kilometers" instrument cluster takes over the coding from the car's EKM. In other words, the odometer will take over correct mileage from the EKM, but also display it in miles! Of course, the speedometer in the German instrument cluster would be metric, so that's a start anyway...

filiprow
14th January, 2019, 09:37 AM
Baze007

Thank you for your excellent tip, it certainly showed me the direction.

From what you are saying sourcing a 2nd hand KM cluster is the first step. It won't be an issue as the customer told me he has access to such if needed. When you talk about coding - did you refer to EKM coding with Progman/NCS etc?

It would be nice to simply code it with some interface, but the question is do I need a dedicated KM dump for the EKM or the tool will sort it out...?