PDA

View Full Version : England. support ??

Bulld0g
6th September, 2008, 07:55 PM
Just watching England V Andorra HT 0-0 and England get booed off the pitch. Reminded me of Carraghers autobiography being serialised this week in the mirror i think.
In it he mentions the club v country support. About how Liverpool fans get behind their team if we're losing and how England fans turn against the team This seems to be the case at only half time in Andorra.

How many fans DO put club before country ? I for one do. Liverpool are the be all and end all for me. England are a good barby in the summer if they qualify :)
Just wondering if this is a northern thing , where club comes before country. I know some Man utd and City fans think the same as us Scousers.

Raven
6th September, 2008, 08:08 PM
I think performance and form counts for alot of it too, England to for the last few years to put it lightly have been w*nk and so naturally fans focus on their clubs and distance themselves from the national side.

I can understand the fan's frustrations because all our players have to do is play.....and we all know they are in form week in and week out for their clubs and yet they mostly look ameturish in an England jersey. Personally I think it's only a matter of time before Capello bombs alot of them out of the team for a few games and brings in some fresh people who haven't necessarily featured before. I think this is the best thing all around since the newbies have a point to prove and no confidence defects in the national side to speak of and the regular players who aren't performing (barring Joe Cole and perhaps Beckham) would realise their places are under threat and would start grafting for their places back on the next opportunity but if nothing else they would have had a few games away from the international scene which may be a good thing right now.

FULL TIME SCORELINE ENG 2 - ANDORRA 0

Joe Cole scores twice inside 10 minutes since his half time introduction.

Curious123
6th September, 2008, 11:20 PM
I am more of a cricket fan rather than a footie fan but in cricket none of the fans would ever put their county before their national team. I have to agree with raven that too many of the england players have had it too cushy to worry about losing their places. I think it is shame that so many home grown players are prevented from coming through because the fans and clubs and owners want quick results and would rather spend millions buying new players than growing their own. Capello is the best thing to happens to england and yes i too would sack the lot but unfortunately capello would be sacked before the new young england players managed to make a name for themselves in international matches. If I had my way I would bring in a quota system to prevent too many external players playing in a team as they did in cricket but I don;t think that would be too popolar with the fans. I just cannot see how fans can get behind their team when in some teams the english players are literally struggling to get into the team. Where is your national pride guys?

Raven
6th September, 2008, 11:44 PM
I didn't exactly mean blood the young English players at the expense of the seniors, I meant leaving out the under performing stars who don't do it in an England jersey like Lampard, Gerrard and Ashley Cole for a run of games and bring in players like Bullard, Murphy and Shorey in their places - yknow people who play in the Premiership but don't get a look in for England....that will make those said senior players realise that hang on my place is under threat now I better do my absolute damnest in my next England appearance....and the new guys will think well anyone has a chance to play for England if they want it....I was talking to thommo the other week and I had to wholeheartedly agree with what he was saying in that alot of the players are stars at their clubs and think that everyone else in the England team will do the hard work for them. People like Wes Brown and Jermaine Defoe shouldn't be anywhere near an England team for a start but it's just finding the blend of players that just works....Michah Richards should be our number 1 right back, Gerrard and either Barry or Beckham should be in the middle, and definitely Owen and Heskey up front....McLaren may have stumbled upon it last year but that England side was the most fluent I had seen in a long time.

As for Rooney I don't think it's fair to put him up front he is not prolific enough as a striker, Rooney is more of a Gazza type player who should be playing as a midfield genius because he has all the talent for it and he chases every ball. But he doesn't really work as a striker I don't think, we would be better off with a proven strike partnership for England like Owen and Heskey.

I'm happy to see Capello is starting to learn the language now and I am confident we have the right man in charge, he isn't a yes man and he demands discipline and he will crack the whip severely if he has to. You don't get a rep such as his and have as much success as he has had unless you are not afraid to give harsh words and ring severe changes where need be, I am confident we have the right manager. He took Fat Frank off tonight so that proves he isn't bowing to any player and that's how it should be.

Ballistic
3rd October, 2008, 02:57 PM
Next weeks game against Kazha...Kazah... oh you know is sold out apparently. Which maybe a bit odd in the current climate after all the moaning after the andorra game... But everyone wants another stirling display by walcott... I have seen him play for the under 21's and boy he was a class above the rest...hope he starts for us...shall be at the New Wembley chearing them on...only missed 2 home games since they got there old home back.

B