PDA

View Full Version : secruity on belkin 54 g network

bigfella
9th December, 2009, 11:32 AM
hi, i was wonderin if any one cud help me . my problem is ...i m havin difficulty settin up the security encription on my wireless network. i have set up two laptops with belkin dongles and have a belkin router that runs thro virgin,i ve managed to set the laptops ok so that they are recievin internet access but when i use the c d supplied with the router to try and set up the security .....it says i have done it...that security is on ....but then when i look at my internet connection it say s un secured and also i managed to hack into the network so ob it s not secured.....i wonder if any one had any suggestions of how to secure my network..many thanks in advance:party: ps tried to reset router to factory setting s with a pin and start the process again ...no good ...still got internet but not secured tried wap no good tries wep ..no good.....??????

bigmark1966
9th December, 2009, 11:46 AM
go to your main pc that has the modem and router on it and type 192.168.2.1 in the explorer bar:burnout: that should put you into secret menu were you can alter your settings iff not then 192.168.1.1
hope that helps

bigfella
9th December, 2009, 12:26 PM
go to your main pc that has the modem and router on it and type 192.168.2.1 in the explorer bar:burnout: that should put you into secret menu were you can alter your settings iff not then 192.168.1.1
hope that helps

thanks mark...tried that earlier..thats wat i cant understand ..on that page u suggested i go on with all the information about the router, it says security and firewalled are enabled and also the security symbol... a locked padlock is on the router it self but ob the connection i m usin to gain internet access is not encripted becos i ve used another laptop to gaiin access to the internet thro it ..............and also it say s belkin un secured on the connect to a network page.....would be grateful for any advice as it s my g f s lappy and i dont want her lappy to be hacked in to

bigmark1966
9th December, 2009, 12:30 PM
right m8ty go into your settings in your router go to security then it will ask you what security you want tell it wep64 and type a catchphrase/security word in the bottom click submit it will generate a key code click on apply changes router will restart after that go to ur laptop try connecting to the net it will ask you what the key is put it in and u will b as safe as houses trust me m8 ...:)

bigfella
9th December, 2009, 03:37 PM
right m8ty go into your settings in your router go to security then it will ask you what security you want tell it wep64 and type a catchphrase/security word in the bottom click submit it will generate a key code click on apply changes router will restart after that go to ur laptop try connecting to the net it will ask you what the key is put it in and u will b as safe as houses trust me m8 ...:)

lol firstly the berkin dongle wouldnt work any more but somehow got the inbuilt wireless card to work...she s had this lappy for for about 3 yrs and its never worked!!.hi-grade lappy it s really low grade shite.but hey ho be thankful for small mercies ,,,,,then i did wat u said...used wap cos i heard it was better and after about 6 hrs of messin about ..i ve finally got both lappies up n runnin n the sercuity enabled ...so a big hands up to yer bigmark thanks a lot..:party:much appreciated:party:

briangoo
9th December, 2009, 08:24 PM
im reading throught this but where is the eplorer bar to put the 192 bit ? in i apologise in advance but bbc computers were in when i went to school :party:

bigmark1966
9th December, 2009, 09:35 PM
its ur internet bar m8 when you start internet up instead of typing something like google type 192.168.2.1 and theres your router...