PDA

View Full Version : latest 2.20 ps3 firmware now out and ready to download

allycoops
25th March, 2008, 02:05 PM
according to Sony PS3 site, the latest firmware for the ps3 is ready to download, havent done mine yet so cant comment.

Find out what features are included in PS3 system software update 2.20.

http://uk.playstation.com/help-support/ps3/guides/detail/item97773/Update-features-%28ver-2-20%29/

An update to the PS3 system software was released on March 25, 2008. If you update your PS3 system, the system software version will be 2.20 and the following features will be updated. In order to download PS3 system software version 2.20, you will need a minimum 130Mb of free space on either the PS3 Hard Disk Drive (System Update) or on removable storage media (PC Update).

Main features in system software update version 2.20

BD-LIVE support
Blu-ray Disc Profile 2.0 (BD-LIVE) is now supported. Visit the BD-Live guide in Help & Support under PS3 > Video at eu.playstation.com for more details.

Copying playlists

You can now copy playlists that you create in Music and Photo to a PSP system. Visit the Copying playlists guide in Help & Support under PS3 > Getting started > Managing Files on PS3 at eu.playstation.com for more details.

Other new or revised features in version 2.20

Settings

The way you register Bluetooth devices has changed. Also, you can now manage your registered devices.
A [BD Internet Connection] setting has been added under [BD/DVD Settings].
An [Audio Output Device] setting has been added under [Remote Play Settings].
Photo

You can now display an image while editing a playlist.
Music

You can now play a music track while editing a playlist.
Video

You can now play DivX and WMV format files that are 2GB or larger.

You can now display subtitles in DivX-format video files.
You can now begin playing a DVD from the point where you previously stopped it (Resume Play).
A [Mosquito Noise Reduction] option has been added under [AV Settings] in the control panel for standard DVDs.
You can now play BD-R version 1.2 (LTH* BD-R) discs.
* LTH, or low to high, is a recording method that supports organic dye write-once BD-R media.

Network

You can now change some PS3 system settings during remote play.
[Save Target] has been added as an option under [File] in the browse mode menu of the Internet browser. This option lets you save a file that is linked from a Web page, such as an image or video file, or other type of file, to your PS3 system's hard drive or storage media.
The Internet browser now displays Web pages more quickly.
Using the Internet browser, you can now play a linked video file* as it is being downloaded.
* Some types of video files cannot be viewed in this manner and must be downloaded completely before playback.

Note:

This system software update includes all features contained in previous versions.
The new system software will preserve any settings previously made to the PLAYSTATION 3. Depending on the software title, you may not be able to play without first updating the PS3 system software.
Do not perform updates using any data other than the official update data provided by Sony Computer Entertainment over a network or on disc media, and do not perform updates by methods other than those described in the product documentation or in this site. If an update is performed using data from another source, by another method, or with a PS3 system that has been altered or modified in any way, the PS3 system may not operate properly and may not be able to install the official update data. Any of these actions may void the PS3 system warranty and affect your ability to obtain warranty services and repair services from Sony Computer Entertainment.

http://uk.playstation.com/help-support/ps3/guides/detail/item60697/Download-now/

davidharvey75
25th March, 2008, 04:39 PM
Done mine today. PLayed a ripped bluray avi at 2.4gb. No problem. Beats having to split the files. Not tried a blu ray movie yet. don't know if i have any that are 2.0 compatible.

allycoops
25th March, 2008, 04:43 PM
spiderman 3 is 2.0 as far as I know david.

davidharvey75
25th March, 2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks Ally, I've got that, I'll have a play later.

ronaldo121
27th March, 2008, 01:37 AM
Put the firmware on my PS3 earlier and the good thing is (so far) it is playing the divx content it previously wasn't so i think they have improved the divx support which is good!

ice2004
27th March, 2008, 01:42 AM
I have about 20 movies on my external HDD. Before about 4 didnt play however after update 3 play but the sound is god awful. And i dont mean bad i mean like a distressed dolphin being visually attacked by a racoon!

Basically the picture is there but the sound is not working, so the update didnt do much for me on that front.

allycoops
27th March, 2008, 01:43 AM
I aint had a divx /avi not play before the update,
everything Ive chucked at has played as long as it was under 2 gig,
I aint updated mine yet, might do it tomorrow

ice2004
27th March, 2008, 01:50 AM
These are all under 2 gig. Weird they came up as unsupported format before update, then they played after but the sound is like nothing youve ever heard.

They are just normal divx too, think they are from axxo so good quality rips.

allycoops
27th March, 2008, 01:53 AM
the audio codec used to transcode may not be supported on the ps3 Ice, download this prog. Video inspector

http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?vtb

check the audio code and see if it different to ones that play

ice2004
27th March, 2008, 01:56 AM
Will check this in the morning m8 thanx.

ronaldo121
27th March, 2008, 01:57 AM
i had a few that weren't supported but the update today seems to have sorted that but ice i may have a problem like you as i haven't checked the sound on them i just checked to see if the PS3 would play the divx file so will let u know i have a problem with the sound on mine!