PDA

View Full Version : Vw instruments cluster with 32 pin and 8 pin plug

ecufix
27th February, 2019, 04:58 PM
Hi, I have this golf with a cluster problem, the only reference on it I find is scodia Ao4. The problem is there is no backlighting when the lights are switched on, when high is switched the blue led lights, traced that back to pin 2. Are the other LEDs for backlighting multiplexed? I can't find a common earth or power to them.The variable resistor for backlight brightness first goes to another module but cant trace how it gets to the instuments from there?

ecufix
27th February, 2019, 10:46 PM
It is a VDO cluster

ThomasBlue
28th February, 2019, 02:14 AM
Keep in mind that in a modern VW, CAN-BUS communication is used to control the instrument cluster's backlights. Maybe that's the situation here since you mentioned that you cannot find any obvious instrument cluster connector pins/signals for the backlight function.

If the problem is a general CAN-Bus communication failure at the Instrument Cluster then you would experience several problems, not just loss of backlight control. So since only the backlight is bad I would suspect the dimmer switch, the module it is connected to, and/or wiring between them. Also the problem could be in the instrument cluster.

- Thomas