PDA

View Full Version : A little advice lads ?

Raven
13th December, 2009, 01:27 AM
I'm wanting something which I can plug my HDMI and optical cables, headphones and other bits n pieces into but the crucial thing is that I need something where I can tune the bass and treble response say for my flat EQ sennheiser headphones, now it's my understanding that an a/v receiver will do this ? I was thinking of one of those Onkyo receivers at around ?200, is this overkill or will it even work as intended ? Baring in mind that in the moment it's only going to be used for headphones and tweaking bass/treble response for them using the hardware so in theory it should be the same level for everything from PS3 to SkyHD when going through my headphones.....but as I said I might be way off. Home Theater 5.1 surround sound isn't really an option for me because I share the house and I'm on the upper level. Am I on the right track here with the Onkyo a/v receiver ? Any advice or recommendations besides moving out ? lol

Raven
21st December, 2009, 01:24 AM
1 whole week, 68 views and not one single reply or offer of help....am I asking a hard question ?? I thought this was a digital forum where people knew their stuff when it came to this sort of thing ? Tell you what, since no sod helped I'll do it myself and answer my own question as is normally the case....thanks for nowt though, much appreciated.

Must be a 1 way thing, because the only person that's ever really helped me out on here was Devilfish and Janobi, nobody else bothered to take the time....and how many times have I helped someone on here or at least attempted to. I don't ask for much but I do expect a little give and take. As opposed to take,take,take.

It's about time somebody said something, because this site's starting to go like an auto mechanic facebook page. Does nobody help each other out anymore on here or is it slap back time ? Because if it is, I didn't get the memo.

dctyper
21st December, 2009, 09:51 AM
surely you dont need to spend 200 quid! i just went for one with optical as it carried the same quality as hdmi but a quater of the cost

Raven
21st December, 2009, 11:16 AM
surely you dont need to spend 200 quid! i just went for one with optical as it carried the same quality as hdmi but a quater of the cost

Finally some sort of response....within 12 hours of that post after a week of zilch in the first place.

I don't know if I need to spend 200 quid or not mate in order to get what I need it to do, that's why I thought it was worth asking because at 200 notes you best be sure yknow ? Right lot of good it's done me so far since nobody seems to know owt and I'm on my own by the looks of things. lol

Mind you at 200 notes at least I know I'm getting quality for that money and a good brand if I decide to go for it. Which I will if I can get some form of confirmation that it deffo does what I require it to. As I've said many times before the cheapo option is 9/10 times a false economy. That and decent a/v amps are really expensive. Basically 200 notes is the entry level for a decent one since a lot of them are upwards of 400 quid.

dctyper
21st December, 2009, 11:37 AM
they do cost alot, but you will find if you do without hdmi you will save money. the only advantage that i can think of having it, is saved setting between channels

dc

Raven
21st December, 2009, 12:49 PM
Yeah I heard that most HDMI ports on these things don't carry video anyhow, but apparently the one I'm looking at does....but I'd be taking some numpties word at that so I take it with an extreme pinch of salt.

To be honest as long as it has a headphone socket and I can plug my PS3, 360, Wii and my SkyHD into it and play around with the bass and treble on the hardware to go through my sennheiser's to get the bass and treble response as well as overall sound to my liking then I'm not fussed. It's just obviously I don't want to be spending too much, and yet I don't want to repeat the same mistake I made with HDTV initially. And that is going the cheapo route so does the job poorly. I'd rather spend the extra hundred or two in the first place rather than that. But you toe the line when looking for bargains especially if you're not quite sure of your shit regarding the subject matter, because they price the shit low as ~~~~ and make it sound like a second hand sports car and then you get retards posting great reviews on it. Deadly combo if you aren't sure.....won't be making that mistake twice! lol

opsmonkey
23rd December, 2009, 02:09 AM
1 whole week, 68 views and not one single reply or offer of help....am I asking a hard question ?? I thought this was a digital forum where people knew their stuff when it came to this sort of thing ? Tell you what, since no sod helped I'll do it myself and answer my own question as is normally the case....thanks for nowt though, much appreciated.

Must be a 1 way thing, because the only person that's ever really helped me out on here was Devilfish and Janobi, nobody else bothered to take the time....and how many times have I helped someone on here or at least attempted to. I don't ask for much but I do expect a little give and take. As opposed to take,take,take.

It's about time somebody said something, because this site's starting to go like an auto mechanic facebook page. Does nobody help each other out anymore on here or is it slap back time ? Because if it is, I didn't get the memo.

chill out mate.. many people have looked at this thread like me and probably thought, like i did.. "Sorry mate cant help there.."

Yes it is a digital site, but as you (should) know the term 'digital' encompasses a massive genre and not everyone is lucky enough to be clued up in every department..

Spitting your dummy out rarely helps ;)

mm009b
23rd December, 2009, 02:16 AM
i think if you look back at hd stuff me and opsmonkey had problems with sound on hd channels and its still not resolved ps i just noticed ur thread mate tonight

Raven
23rd December, 2009, 08:08 PM
chill out mate.. many people have looked at this thread like me and probably thought, like i did.. "Sorry mate cant help there.."

Yes it is a digital site, but as you (should) know the term 'digital' encompasses a massive genre and not everyone is lucky enough to be clued up in every department..

Spitting your dummy out rarely helps ;)

It did in this case, you can call it what you want but I was going by what I'd read. And yes I was more than slightly miffed and I don't mind admitting it. When I typed that, this post had 68 views and not one single response from anyone in 7 days - 68 people 7 days and not any semblance of reply, yet after I typed that other post you quoted I got a reply within 12 hours....what does that tell you ? Especially when I actively help people whenever I can and yet I don't often ask for help in return....it's like I said whenever I do ask for help I expect a little give and take. Ask yourself how you'd feel. Or don't you make a habit of helping people ? Because all I've seen you do is post sarcastically most of the time.

And since you bring it up after the fact, like I and you said, this is a forum for all things digital and technical, it's a hacking site originally - you telling me that nobody knows anything about Home Theatre systems or audio amps in this case ? I seriously doubt it.

Why are you bringing it up after the fact anyway ? You can clearly see the situation had been resolved, now if you don't like the things I said or you think I'm lying about the facebook/mechanic site thing or whatever then I suggest you have a good look around you mate. And remember that I've been here longer than most and the site has changed - you look under new posts and most of them are under the garage section. On a digital tech site. And a VIP member asking basic questions about audio amps in the relevant section goes unanswered by anyone for a week. So that right there proves the point I was making.

And please don't misconstrue, I'm not owed a reply by anyone and I don't go around thinking anyone owes me anything as such. But there is the issue of common courtesy at play here, and even though I might not come out and say I'm owed any, I do however expect some common courtesy regardless considering how often I've taken time out to reply to people. Even if I had replies saying sorry I can't help, would have been fine, it's just the fact that nobody even bothered at all for a week until I as you put it at least "spat the dummy out" but you'd have done the same thing more than likely if it was you in the same position.....so you're either being hypocritical or you're knocking what you simply can't understand because you aren't in the same position or haven't been here from the start basically.

The ironic thing is I was chilled out before you brought it up again ops! lol

opsmonkey
24th December, 2009, 01:59 AM
there are numerous times when i have posted a thread and not received any actual help (see post 8 in this thread for an example)..

shit happens..

as for this..

Or don't you make a habit of helping people ? Because all I've seen you do is post sarcastically most of the time.

have a look around the satellite section..

just because you help people with problems doesn't entitle you to a divine right to receive help at your choosing

as for the facebook / garage quote.. WTF..?

So what if the garage section is popular.. most car's these days run on a complex engine management system that require the car to be hooked up to laptops to diagnose faults.. a tech site is the perfect place for all the software needed for that..

as for the facebook quote.. so what.. the general chat section is popular and people like to talk about all different stuff..

just because you only talk about Computer Games doesn't make every other section in this forum shit

get over yourself lad

Raven
24th December, 2009, 03:15 AM
just because you only talk about Computer Games doesn't make every other section in this forum shit

get over yourself lad

Okay that's it, I tried to be somewhat friendly about it but you're obviously in ***** mode.... I never said that other sections of the forum are shit, just pointed out the facts. Get over myself ? You can get stuffed with that crap you're the one who needs to get over himself mate. Two can play that game so don't even go there with me because if anyone's stuck up his own arse on here it's you. Just look at you resurrecting a dead issue and making a mountain out of a molehill just because you didn't like what I said. That's all the proof in the world right there alone. If you don't like it or what I said well as you yourself said shit happens, or as I say, tough shit.

If you're not going to contribute to the topic by helping out but to pour petrol onto the fire then what's the need ops ? hmm ? what's the need....I'd have thought with you being a VIP member too that you'd be above starting a troll war. Obviously I was wrong. If you aren't going to contribute positively then stay out of what otherwise doesn't concern you alright. I shouldn't need to remind you that this is supposed to be a help topic. The fact you turn it into something else totally or try to only confirms what I said about this site turning into Facebook lite.....

God almighty I didn't think things were that bad but it seems since cable's gone down there's sod all else to do anymore for a lot of people but resorting to arguing with other people. It's not my fault that you obviously haven't got owt better to do. And it certainly isn't my fault that you can't take any criticism of this site. While we are on that subject, before you say if you don't like it leave, I come on this site because I like it and the community, believe it or not, but this site is not perfect - nothing is....because perfection doesn't exist. Now, I understand why this site has gone the way it has over the last year since the community has gotten bigger and bigger, but as one of the original members that still frequents the site often, end of the day I don't have to like the shift in focus.

And at the end of the day, if you didn't like what I said in this thread and you wanted to bring up a point about an off topic dead issue then you should have sent it to me via PM so we could have it out there instead, but you didn't. So you've not got a leg to stand on. Hypocrite.

opsmonkey
24th December, 2009, 03:26 AM
starting a troll war.. :roflmao:

then stay out of what otherwise doesn't concern you alright. :roflmao:

it seems since cable's gone down there's sod all else to do anymore :roflmao:

but as one of the original members
definitely get over yourself lad :roflmao:

Raven
24th December, 2009, 03:38 AM
Way to quote mine, idiot. Resorting to ridicule now are we ? You don't seem to realize that you prove every single point I make every time you post in this thread. But because you're that ignorant and up yourself you think you're being clever, but you're not clever you're just an arrogant tit who thinks his shit doesn't stink. And you wanna talk to me about getting over himself ? That's some serious hypocrisy on your part sunshine. You want to look in the mirror once in a while before looking at other people. That's a fact.

HoTTDubbER
24th December, 2009, 03:46 AM
im sorry but i think you a little out of line , there are 1000s of posts made here through the day the mods cant get through every post , its not even like what you would class as a normall question by reading it , these people spend much time to grace people with knowledge and know how in as many areas as they can. Sometimes you have to be patent and ask question in different ways to get what you need ,
I dont know what world u live in but u cant just click ur fingers and have people running

as for facebook comments
if i was 2 tell someone on there to flash something all id be getting is tits and ass

if you told them to download an image ,they would be handing you a picture of there favourite footballer or pop star

so please dont compare this place to facebook because its so not . . .:stupido:

Elric
24th December, 2009, 03:46 AM
- you telling me that nobody knows anything about Home Theatre systems or audio amps in this case ? I seriously doubt it.

i know sweet fa about home theatre systems and audio amps
but i do know a bit about dboxes,dreamboxes,been learning for
over 5 years and still learning

opsmonkey
24th December, 2009, 03:48 AM
Way to quote mine, idiot. Resorting to ridicule now are we ? You don't seem to realize that you prove every single point I make every time you post in this thread. But because you're that ignorant and up yourself you think you're being clever, but you're not clever you're just an arrogant tit who thinks his shit doesn't stink. And you wanna talk to me about getting over himself ? That's some serious hypocrisy on your part sunshine. You want to look in the mirror once in a while before looking at other people.

i have no contemptuous laughter or feelings towards you mate so there's no ridicule.. just laughter..

of course i think my shit stinks.. only a fool would think his faeces smells nice

Raven
24th December, 2009, 03:53 AM
Funny that, there's been more views AND comments in this thread since I said the thing about Facebook than there's been for the whole week before it when it was a simple help question, and the post count in this thread has basically tripled since Ops decided to beat a dead horse - says a whole hell of a lot doesn't it ? Unfortunately so.

Before this thread gets derailed any further, and before it gets any heavier with the Facebook drama I'm stepping out of it since obviously there's hardly any actual help been given and it's mostly been arguments, again, so Ops if you have anything else that you want to say to me then feel free to PM me with it. Otherwise stay out of my business. Otherwise one of us will wind up getting banned and I don't want that to happen but if this carries on it's going to be inevitable.

opsmonkey
24th December, 2009, 04:03 AM
Otherwise stay out of my business.

ok Tony Soprano

why would we get banned..?

it's not like either of us have been trading insults like calling one another an "arrogant tit" or "idiot"...

oh wait a minute......

jfish
24th December, 2009, 10:46 AM

thats probably due to the fact of the postal strike and additional xmas delivery for the royal mail, am sure you will recieve said memo in the post.

caveman_nige
24th December, 2009, 11:15 AM
Another thread ruined by guess who...