PDA

View Full Version : Fan Running Mercedes like Jet

battleship7
17th March, 2019, 01:36 PM
So i write new file onto ECU, the Engine fan starts running like a turbo jet. I restore files back to ECU, same problem. Everytime i connect Diagnostic machine i get the attached report. I have inspected the PCB of the ECU many times there is no damage. Anyone know what could be going on. I have attached images. Vehicle is ML280 CDI 164 with EDC16CP31

MVRH
17th March, 2019, 02:32 PM
What tool you use to write file upload mod and original

battleship7
17th March, 2019, 02:48 PM
What tool you use to write file upload mod and original

i used ktag tool

MVRH
17th March, 2019, 02:55 PM
why ktag its possible with kess, did you make bdm probe yourself or solder directly to board sometimes you can cause problem open circuit with fan and injection if you apply bdm probe incorrectly or use a bad probe all together - upload a pic?

its all i can think at the moment , have you checked wiring to fan and/or relay

battleship7
17th March, 2019, 03:03 PM
why ktag its possible with kess, did you make bdm probe yourself or solder directly to board sometimes you can cause problem open circuit with fan and injection if you apply bdm probe incorrectly or use a bad probe all together - upload a pic?

its all i can think at the moment , have you checked wiring to fan and/or relay

I have ktag only. I used a probe adaptor. I have used the probe many times before on other ECUs. The first time i used this probe on this ECU i got an error that Ktag could not identify ECU or it is unsupported. I noticed i had not applied probe correctly, it may have missed a hole. After correcting I read both files from ECU nicely.

Before reading ECU car was fine except it was smoke. I wouldnt want to blame wiring at this point.

Any suggestions for what i should do?

MVRH
17th March, 2019, 03:17 PM
As you mention Ktag couldn't identify first you missed a hole i would say its possible that although you can read/write okay it doesnt mean the ecu has not been damaged .

if you apply power to wrong holes as you call its enough to cause damage, if car was working fine before map now its not even after a original restoration then i would say either the bdm procedure has caused damage or an error in the mod file but haven't seen so cant say.

So moving forward

I would find donor ecu matching numbers
Ensure your BDM pratcice and mod file is good
And load eeprom and original flash fit to vehicle check if fan spins
If not then write mod

Before this you could check with voltmeter signal etc

battleship7
17th March, 2019, 03:22 PM
As you mention Ktag couldn't identify first you missed a hole i would say its possible that although you can read/write okay it doesnt mean the ecu has not been damaged .

if you apply power to wrong holes as you call its enough to cause damage, if car was working fine before map now its not even after a original restoration then i would say either the bdm procedure has caused damage or an error in the mod file but haven't seen so cant say.

So moving forward

I would find donor ecu matching numbers
Ensure your BDM pratcice and mod file is good
And load eeprom and original flash fit to vehicle check if fan spins
If not then write mod

Before this you could check with voltmeter signal etc

Thanks you very much! I will do just that

battleship7
17th March, 2019, 08:30 PM
Anyone else experienced this before?

battleship7
18th March, 2019, 06:59 AM
What is surprising is that the ECU is communicating when you connect Diagnostic Tool! From reading the forum i can see that similar problems people have ECU stops communicating altogether.

MVRH
18th March, 2019, 08:44 AM
I already answered above the Ecu May well still communicate and engine but damage exists from incorrect BDM procedure ��

rafalgt
18th March, 2019, 09:42 AM
Hi.
How did You connect bdm? Did You dril a hole or You opened ECU?
2 years ago a opened this ecu to get to BDM port.
When opening the housing, I damaged PCB.

MVRH
18th March, 2019, 11:32 AM
I have ktag only. I used a probe adaptor. I have used the probe many times before on other ECUs. The first time i used this probe on this ECU i got an error that Ktag could not identify ECU or it is unsupported. I noticed i had not applied probe correctly, it may have missed a hole. After correcting I read both files from ECU nicely.

Before reading ECU car was fine except it was smoke. I wouldnt want to blame wiring at this point.

Any suggestions for what i should do?

Pretty sure ECU is damaged

battleship7
18th March, 2019, 03:10 PM
I found the problem. Even though PCB looked intact it was things were affected by heat. I used a heat gun in the process of opening. A technician of mine opened similar ECU with no heat gun just careful and slowly opening and seems like ECU worked just fine. Tested a few ICs for tempreture and noted 1 that was heating up. I am convinced it was affected by heat. I have since replaced the ECU. Thank you guys for help. Special mention to you MRVH. + to you rep

MVRH
18th March, 2019, 06:26 PM
I don’t use heat gun personally for that reason too much heat in a concentrated area will damage Ecu. Always move the gun around if you insist on a heat gun.

Slow and steady when opening ecus thanks for the thanks �� sorry you find yourself in position but learn and become better ��