PDA

View Full Version : Help help nedded chrysler stratus

Liteace
14th December, 2009, 11:18 PM
Hi All, has anyone got Aldata, I have here a 96 chrysler stratus LX 2.500 V6. I have looked in AD, Tolerance & Vivid and nothing there for this model. Problem is it dont come up with any codes and has a slight missfire comming off idle, I have changed the plugs and checked the cables and all ok, I did put 2 noid lights (1 on each bank) on the center plugs, the hotter the engine gets the worse it gets, if you let it idle you have a good strong light in the noid, if you bring it up off idle at about 1200 rpm the light will dimm (weak spark) then come back again after its cleared itself, if you rev the engine up and down and dont let it drop under 2000ish rpm the light (spark) stays strong. I really need if anyone has got it data on rotor, cap & coil resistance, this model is fitted with Mitsubishi dizzy with coil inside. I cant download anything large as my desttop is cattletrucked and im typing with fat fingers on me tiny Toughbook CF-18 keyboard, anyone please as soon as poss

Thanks
Steve

Genie
15th December, 2009, 04:57 AM
Did you say Weak spark or weak injector pulse at about 1200rpm

Liteace
15th December, 2009, 09:06 AM
Did you say Weak spark or weak injector pulse at about 1200rpm

Weak spark but only when engine revs increase from idle, if you hold it at 1200 its fine

Dajan2009
15th December, 2009, 11:21 AM
Hmm:hmmmm:, a weak spark could mean there is a problem with ignition sistem, BUT it could also be just a simptom because a spark gets thinner and lasts shorter when the engine runs on lean mixture. It could also be some vacuum oMAP senssor, or just the fuel sistem-pump-regulator. Does the car have less power, hesitate in acellerations and detonate when You press the gas pedal full from low revs?
Cheers:ciao:

Liteace
15th December, 2009, 12:11 PM
Hmm:hmmmm:, a weak spark could mean there is a problem with ignition sistem, BUT it could also be just a simptom because a spark gets thinner and lasts shorter when the engine runs on lean mixture. It could also be some vacuum oMAP senssor, or just the fuel sistem-pump-regulator. Does the car have less power, hesitate in acellerations and detonate when You press the gas pedal full from low revs?
Cheers:ciao:

The spark i would think shoud get stronger as it has to get the engine off idle and start to propel that car along at this stage and then smooth out as it has to do less work at cruising speed with less load on the engine, it only happends at the transition stage between idle and slight engine load, and as i say its showing no codes

teuton
15th December, 2009, 02:58 PM
it is in Alldata as Chryslere Cirrus or as well as Dodge Stratus.

teuton
15th December, 2009, 04:38 PM
here are some spec, tell me if you need something else, pm with e-mail please.

Liteace
15th December, 2009, 09:27 PM
I have checked again today, compression on all cyliners is:
175psi

The rotor resistance between the tip and the center is .2 ohms

The HT cable resistance range from 7.55 to 11.56
(test meter on 20K ohm setting)

The cap resistance from the center pin to the coil pin is 4.54 ohms (test the meter set on 20K ohm setting) is that not a little high ??

Meat-Head
15th December, 2009, 09:36 PM
LOOKEY HERE DUDE, don't want no if and buts, or err and ums.

Take a look here, read the articale and then decide if i'm barking up the wrong tree or on to something.

Yes i know, not the car in question, but read anyway, no i DO care, no you don't have to use that specif module.

MX-3.com - View topic - HEI Mod problem.....won't run? (http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&p=461052)

Liteace
15th December, 2009, 09:53 PM
LOOKEY HERE DUDE, don't want no if and buts, or err and ums.

Take a look here, read the articale and then decide if i'm barking up the wrong tree or on to something.

Yes i know, not the car in question, but read anyway, no i don't care, no you don't have to use that specif module.

MX-3.com - View topic - HEI Mod problem.....won't run? (http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&p=461052)

Thanks for that but i cant be doing all that no time, I can get a replacment dizzy for 100 quid so i think that the way to go

Meat-Head
15th December, 2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks for that but i cant be doing all that no time, I can get a replacment dizzy for 100 quid so i think that the way to go

It is an easy job, assuming i'm barking up the right tree, but you MUST remove the link and you MUST cut where it says cut.

I'm guessing this is the same distrubutor, but don't know, please confirm!

Liteace
15th December, 2009, 10:17 PM
It is an easy job, assuming i'm barking up the right tree, but you MUST remove the link and you MUST cut where it says cut.

I'm guessing this is the same distrubutor, but don't know, please confirm!

I dont know if it is the same dizzy, not see a pic of the one they are modding, this one is a Mitsubishi dizzy

Liteace
15th December, 2009, 10:24 PM
here are some spec, tell me if you need something else, pm with e-mail please.

Hi can you have a look at:
Distributor Cap Resistance Test

Also i only have 1 pin in the 2 pin connector on the dizzy ???

Meat-Head
15th December, 2009, 10:38 PM
Also i only have 1 pin in the 2 pin connector on the dizzy ???

looking at your image, asc guess it tell the abs the engine is running or engine speed, does sound like we are talking about the same thing, pretty sure, you MIGHT find the same dizzy on a 'mitibushi chariot', ford pube, mazda mx3, *THINK* toyota townace/space cruiser.

you might have to unscrew the insides around.

Can you put an ollsilly scope on the coil output, not that i know what the pattern should be.

The other option would be to put up with the fault, see if you can get it worse and pack up totally, take own measurements first though for reference!

Liteace
15th December, 2009, 10:53 PM
looking at your image, asc guess it tell the abs the engine is running or engine speed, does sound like we are talking about the same thing, pretty sure, you MIGHT find the same dizzy on a 'mitibushi chariot', ford pube, mazda mx3, *THINK* toyota townace/space cruiser.

you might have to unscrew the insides around.

Can you put an ollsilly scope on the coil output, not that i know what the pattern should be.

The other option would be to put up with the fault, see if you can get it worse and pack up totally, take own measurements first though for reference!

ACS is the autoshutdown control relay

Meat-Head
15th December, 2009, 10:55 PM
ACS is the autoshutdown control relay

close, just have a quick look round the local junkyards and see what you can find.

Or look on ebay for photos!

Liteace
15th December, 2009, 10:58 PM
close, just have a quick look round the local junkyards and see what you can find.

Or look on ebay for photos!

I do look on the internet for photo's but none of the girls are holding a dizzy

teuton
15th December, 2009, 11:29 PM
As already told you there is a tsb on the problem you describe due to excess solder at the coil pck. Hopefully it will help others as well. And yes, it's something really hard to find.:wink: Cheers.