PDA

View Full Version : BMW 320 E36 EEPROM swap help please

McDowell
16th April, 2019, 04:43 PM
Hello mates,

I am trying to swap this BMW dash, I have read in different posts that this dash has 2 eeproms one on the front and one on the rear, like I am poiting on the picture attached. How can I read the back eeprom without opening the dash?, it looks like i can damage it if I open it and also there is a kinda bdm for reading it without opening it :)

Thank you so much in advance :)

evss
16th April, 2019, 05:29 PM
normally you do these diagnostically on the vehicle or through a made up lead on the bench. if you want to take apart you have to drill out the little plastic rivits that hold the board in place don't worry when you put it all together it will hold in place.
you will from experience need a heavy duty solvent to remove the laquer from the eeprom it must be clean befor removal as if I remember rightly they can be glued to the board as well as soldered.

good luck

evss
16th April, 2019, 05:31 PM
oops sorry mis read it the rear one you just unclip/prise the cover and pull it out then you will see the chip. we used to have a reverse probe that pushed into the holder once removed . the solvent is for the chip you can see on the board lol

McDowell
16th April, 2019, 05:51 PM
oops sorry mis read it the rear one you just unclip/prise the cover and pull it out then you will see the chip. we used to have a reverse probe that pushed into the holder once removed . the solvent is for the chip you can see on the board lol

Thank you very much for your reply, i have unclip it and....no eeprom :( is it somewhere else?

McDowell
17th April, 2019, 08:18 AM
Hello, just to let you know. I open the dash to see the rear and this one has only the front eeprom, so you just need to swap this one and km change. Thank you so much :)