PDA

View Full Version : RIO LEADS ENGLAND IN PARIS

thommo
26th March, 2008, 02:07 AM
http://images.sportinglife.com/08/03/330/Rio_Ferdinand_Feb_2008_749059.jpg

England coach Fabio Capello has appointed Rio Ferdinand as captain for Wednesday evening's friendly international with France in Paris.

The Manchester United defender takes over from Steven Gerrard, who led the side out in Capello's first match in charge against Switzerland at Wembley last month.

John Terry, who had been appointed as skipper by previous head coach Steve McClaren, is back in the squad against the French after missing the 2-1 win over Switzerland through injury.

But Capello is maintaining his policy of looking at other potential leaders within his squad before deciding on a permanent appointment for the World Cup qualifiers, which get under way in September.

It represents a major turnaround for Ferdinand, who only four years ago received an eight-month ban from the Football Association after failing to attend a drugs test at United's Carrington training ground.

That resulted in him missing the European Championship finals in Portugal.

But Capello has given the clearest indication that will not count against the former West Ham and Leeds player, who has already publicly stated his desire to lead his country.

Capello said: "From what I've seen in six days he has worked with me personally, and the games I have watched him play, Rio Ferdinand is a very good professional and as I said previously, I will rotate captains until we get to the World Cup qualifiers because I want to see various players and see who is best."

Capello confirmed he will try at least two more captains before deciding on his permanent skipper for the World Cup qualifiers starting in the autumn.

John Terry was expected to retake the armband after missing the friendly against Switzerland in January through injury but Ferdinand was given the nod instead.

Capello revealed he had not explained his choice to Chelsea captain Terry, saying: "No, I'm not expected to explain my choices to anyone. I made my own choices based on reasoning and on facts."

Ferdinand is grateful for the opportunity to "fulfil a dream" by taking the armband.

"It's a fantastic honour and an achievement in itself to be named England captain," he said.

"As a kid you grow up wanting to play for England and lead your country out and I've been given that honour of being able to fulfil those dreams, so I am happy.

"I have done it for Man United in the past. I will lead by example, not be afraid to stand up and say what needs to be said."

Ferdinand does not expect any awkwardness between himself and former captain John Terry.

"It's not like that. If JT needs to say something, I'm sure he'll say it.

"You don't change your game just on being captain - you need to be a leader no matter what.

"It's more important that there are 11 guys out there that want to lead."

Ferdinand is focused on this game and not worried about earning the armband permanently.

"The manager is well-documented as saying he will not make his mind up until the qualifying starts in September and I'm under no illusions it is not set in stone.

"I'll be going out there, trying to do what I do for Man United, and if that's good enough to become captain of England then great."

Asked about the achievement compared to the low point of his career, when he was banned in 2003 for missing a drugs test, Ferdinand said: "If you can't be forgiven for failings when you were young then that is not a good thing.

"Since then, I have applied myself to a different level on the pitch, the training field and in my private life as well."

Ferdinand is convinced his past indiscretions should not count against him when Capello decides on his permanent skipper.

"The past is the past and if you learn from those mistakes then you've got every right to aim as high as you want to aim," he said.

"But I'm under no illusions to think I'm going to be captain in the future."

The Manchester United defender paid tribute to David Beckham's achievement, saying: "Not many players get to play 100 games for their country.

"He's never stopped working hard, he's been a great servant and he fully deserves his 100th cap.

"Only five players in the history of English football have achieved that. They are fantastic names and icons of the sport and he's a worthy person to be among that list."

Ferdinand admitted Capello's decision to rotate captains has put extra pressure on the squad, but it is a pressure he is relishing.

"I'd be a liar if I said there wasn't any added pressure," he added.

"But when isn't there pressure? It's a different scenario to impress the new manager but that's part and parcel of playing for your country."

France will be one of the favourites to win Euro 2008 and Ferdinand admitted it would be a cathartic experience if England could pull off a victory.

"France are a fantastic football nation, they've been very successful and they've got some fantastic footballers," he said.

"We know a lot of them from playing in the Premier League so we know it's going to be a tough game. We know we've got to perform.

"We go out there to win the game first and foremost. They're going to the European Championships and we're not and it would be a nice taste in the mouth if we could beat them."

biffo1
26th March, 2008, 02:23 AM
Good luck to him and England , i would say that being a man u fan lol