PDA

View Full Version : compatible external hard drives for a wii

moodyblue
20th December, 2009, 10:10 PM
hello
ive been looking threads but cant find wot im lookin for , so sorry if ive missed it - im looking an external harddrive for my wii is the a compatibility chart ???? or wots sort of hard drive works best ?
thx

partyzone
21st December, 2009, 12:01 AM
im using buffalo 500gig m8 works fine

jake
21st December, 2009, 08:26 AM
I use western digital my passport essential 320gb, model WDBAAA3200AWT, works spot on.
Western Digital My Passport Essential 320GB USB 2.0: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

varkanoid
21st December, 2009, 07:10 PM
Lacie 500gb for me

drawflex
22nd December, 2009, 04:45 PM
here's the chart you're after mate

USB Devices Compatibility List - WikiTemp (http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php?title=USB_Devices_Compatibility_List)

whacked
4th January, 2010, 05:08 PM
Toshiba 320GB works great!

kris9000
4th January, 2010, 05:25 PM
stay away from seagate as a general rule, western digital and toshiba tend to be the most reliable

theDoodlepro
15th April, 2011, 08:32 PM
I'm having issues using a WD my passport 1TB
WDBACX10BBK-00, it doesn't see my 300GB WBFS Partition.

happy_highlander
15th April, 2011, 09:08 PM
I'm having issues using a WD my passport 1TB
WDBACX10BBK-00, it doesn't see my 300GB WBFS Partition.
What doesn't see the wbfs partition

Keithuk
7th September, 2011, 06:59 PM
I use western digital my passport essential 320gb, works spot on

Sorry if this is an old thread but I've been asking a friend of mine if she want her Wii softmodding she only comes to visit once a month so I was going to tell her what she needs to bring with her. Wii case, 2GB SD card and an external HDD to copy my games on to.

Now if Jake says his Western Digital Passport Essential drive works ok, these are self powered from the USB port are they good enough or are you better using a powered drive, mine are powered?

happy_highlander
7th September, 2011, 07:20 PM
Sorry if this is an old thread but I've been asking a friend of mine if she want her Wii softmodding she only comes to visit once a month so I was going to tell her what she needs to bring with her. Wii case, 2GB SD card and an external HDD to copy my games on to.

Now if Jake says his Western Digital Passport Essential drive works ok, these are self powered from the USB port are they good enough or are you better using a powered drive, mine are powered?

Get one with it's own power supply. There has been a few cases where the wii can't produce enough power through the usb port, so better to be safe.

Keithuk
7th September, 2011, 07:30 PM
I thought that HH, I know its an old thread but Jake says his works ok? I just though that the passport drives are smaller and don't need a seperate power supply as I'm not sure how many spare sockets she has near her TV?

happy_highlander
7th September, 2011, 08:46 PM
I thought that HH, I know its an old thread but Jake says his works ok? I just though that the passport drives are smaller and don't need a seperate power supply as I'm not sure how many spare sockets she has near her TV?

I think it might just be the high capacity drives that struggle with power but I did read somewhere that it had something to do with the ports on the wii having a higher power output on port 2 (the wrong one for hdd loading)

Keithuk
7th September, 2011, 09:27 PM
I've also heard about that as well?

Keithuk
16th October, 2011, 08:16 PM
USB Compatibility List (http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/36504-usb-compatibility-list.html)

Captin
16th October, 2011, 08:22 PM
I use a seagate 500gb 2.5" sata hard drive in a ?3.50 external caddy from amazon and it works fine. Needs both USB plugs on the Wii.

I have a Hitachi 2tb 3.5" sata hard drive with self powered external drive dock (the type you just slot the drive in the top) and the Wii works fine with it.

Both formatted FAT32 using config USB loader.

I have 2 seagate freeagent external hard drives that the Wii doesnt like. One 1.5tb and one 500gb. Both self powered 3.5".

Keithuk
16th October, 2011, 09:53 PM
Needs both USB plugs on the Wii.

I don't know why you say it needs both USB sockets on the Wii as only the outer one works with an external drive?

aalzaiem
16th October, 2011, 10:09 PM
managed to install homebrew on my wii 4.3e without using a game.

contact me if you need help

Keithuk
17th October, 2011, 12:49 AM
Welcome to the forum.

managed to install homebrew on my wii 4.3e without using a game.

contact me if you need help

So what are you telling us you've found something new?

We have a pinned thread on here that tells you have to do that http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f16/4-3-exploit-hackmii-installer-bundle-221987/