PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this 47" LG LCD

shaz4215
14th September, 2008, 05:00 PM
Was wondering if you could please give me your opinions on this 47" LG LCD tv. As in pro's/con's; and whether it is worth buying.

Also if you guys have any other recommendations for similar tv's in around that price range that would be really helpful.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-8591.aspx

shaz4215
17th September, 2008, 04:05 PM
excellent set of replies....

berley
17th September, 2008, 04:21 PM
soz apart from telling you that you can get it 40 quid cheaper here LG 47LG5000 Ctv Lcd 47" Freeview, Hd Ready | EmpireDirect.co.uk Electrical Appliances (http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/?modelcode=LGE-47LG5000) your really better off googling your question and reading reviews from people that have bought the television

bugaloo41
21st September, 2008, 11:05 AM
Might be worth trying avforums mate if you intend buying plasma/lcd. Lots of useful information and you will get advice from those that already have the tv.

loline
16th October, 2008, 12:10 AM
Was wondering if you could please give me your opinions on this 47" LG LCD tv. As in pro's/con's; and whether it is worth buying.

Also if you guys have any other recommendations for similar tv's in around that price range that would be really helpful.

LG 47LG5000 47" 1080p Digital LCD TV - Tesco.Direct (http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-8591.aspx)

I have this TV set up with a Cable box, a Sony Bluray and a PC all running at 1920x1080 everything works as it should. I especially like the fact that the TV will take audio from all inputs HDMIs, SCARTs and Component Audio and output it via a single Optical TOSLINK in either Dolby or PCM depending on the source. Which makes linking all the peripherals to a surround amp very simple.

The TV itself is fantastic value. What it lacks in bells and whistles (no PiP for example) it more than makes up for in simple quality and screen settings.

Only one gripe, I can not find a way to have it auto-zoom a 4/3 signal to fill 16/9... there is however an option to display video signals in their native format, so a 4/3 will be displayed pillar box rather than 'fat screen'. Since the thing is a true 47" lcd I can live with that just fine.

HD output is stunning and SD is handled better than most TVs I have seen at twice the price (although I would suggest turning the 'sharpness' setting down a notch or two for SD cable broadcasts.

The TV's built-in audio (although I don't use it) is pretty good, even the 'truesurround mode' and as the speakers are hidden in the surround the whole unit isn't much more than 4 inches larger than the actual screen, so it doesn't stand out like an oversized sore thumb in the living room.

I'd give it 8 out of 10 if it were ?1200, but since it's well under ?800 and piano black - I'll give it a 10.

(I went for the 5020 which has a blue tinted lower trim... does nothing for the picture quality but matches our carpet a treat) :))