PDA

View Full Version : which sat dish??

yamar1
14th September, 2008, 07:14 PM
HI, new to the sat side of things, iv just ordered a openmedia box and need a bit of advice on which dish (size, lnb, motorised or not etc) to buy, bearing in mind im new to satellite. im in the north east of england. Thanks.:hmmmm:

aftermath
14th September, 2008, 07:28 PM
North East here too mate.

The bigger dishes can pick up more sats.

but i got myself a 1m one which is what i wopuld advise you to get.

you can get 99% of sats between 45 east and 45 west with a 1 metre dish.also it depends on if you want to spoil the look of your house ? with a big dish stuck on the wall.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f4/sorry-chaps-4487/
thats where i put mine , might give you an idea.

portbhoy
14th September, 2008, 07:35 PM
Depends on how deep your pockets are mate, if they are deep then a 1m funke dish with a metal geared darkmotor is a good option, as for LNB's everyone has there own opinion I just use a Lemon universal.

yamar1
14th September, 2008, 07:54 PM
North East here too mate.

The bigger dishes can pick up more sats.

but i got myself a 1m one which is what i wopuld advise you to get.

you can get 99% of sats between 45 east and 45 west with a 1 metre dish.also it depends on if you want to spoil the look of your house ? with a big dish stuck on the wall.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f4/sorry-chaps-4487/
thats where i put mine , might give you an idea.

Would you recomend motorised? or not?

<--yamar1 added 2 Minutes and 46 Seconds later...-->

Depends on how deep your pockets are mate, if they are deep then a 1m funke dish with a metal geared darkmotor is a good option, as for LNB's everyone has there own opinion I just use a Lemon universal.

Not that deep to be fair, just looking for a starter dish to get me going, can always upgrde later.:)

portbhoy
14th September, 2008, 07:57 PM
90 cm iss dish will do the job on something like a budget technomate motor, motorised is usually the best option because when you get a fixed dish you look at it and think "I should have put a motor on that" ;D

yamar1
14th September, 2008, 08:07 PM
sounds good m8, like i said just starting off here so dont realy know a lot about it all, lust looking on fleabay and them lemon lnb's seem cheap so il go for one of them.

portbhoy
14th September, 2008, 08:08 PM
Look at fortec star while your on there for dishes and motors ;) Deffo nothing less than 90cm though.

yamar1
14th September, 2008, 08:14 PM
so will 90cm do the job in the north? also do i need to have the correct lnb for a 90cm dish or are they interchangeable? appreciate the help.

portbhoy
14th September, 2008, 08:18 PM
Any universal LNB will do mate, 90cm will give a good performance just check it when it arrives to make sure it's in perfect nick ;)

yamar1
14th September, 2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks, now iv got an idea where to start. :goodpost:

andymac746
14th September, 2008, 09:38 PM
Good comments there also in the north east so very helpfull thx.

Curious123
14th September, 2008, 10:51 PM
Look up wizards satellite on google , you could probably get 1m motorised dish for less than ?100.

.: JaCkPoT :.
14th September, 2008, 11:50 PM
Look at fortec star while your on there for dishes and motors ;) Deffo nothing less than 90cm though.

I have the pair of those. They work a treat here in the north west. I will try and upload pics soon. Here is what i receive. 53e few channels, 45e several ,42 all europe beam, 36e 12 channels, 33e most, 28e all, 26e several, 23.5 most, 19e all, 16e most, 13e all, 9/10e most, 7e most, 5e most, 1w all, 4w several, 5w all 8w all and the rest till 30 most. Hope this helps.

yamar1
15th September, 2008, 06:57 PM
thanks for the help, 90cm seems like the one for me, anyone tell me if their is any free football channels available i.e 3pm saturday kickoffs?

15th September, 2008, 07:05 PM
Not free but viewable. Premiere sport19e,several on 1w. Both these packages are soon to change encryption so that will be them gone. Check on liveonsat.com that should give you headway.

portbhoy
15th September, 2008, 07:07 PM
thanks for the help, 90cm seems like the one for me, anyone tell me if their is any free football channels available i.e 3pm saturday kickoffs?

When you get set up give me a PM and I'll guide you further on whats available and how ;)

yamar1
15th September, 2008, 07:31 PM
When you get set up give me a PM and I'll guide you further on whats available and how ;)

thanks il let yo know, wee all need a little help at times!!

portbhoy
15th September, 2008, 08:07 PM
That we do mate!

krazylegz
15th September, 2008, 08:50 PM
i have a dreambox 7020 (waiting on it coming),90cm technomate dish, technomate usals motor and 0.2db lemon universal lnb.

i would opt for a motor mate gives soo many more options.

lnb get a one with the lowest db, eg 0.2db is far better than 0.6db

technomates are the easiest recievers to use but dreamboxes are far more advanced with a lot more possiblities.

the darkmotor is a rip off, its just a standard OEM motor with new packaging;) and a price increase from their shop, but as stated get one with metal gearing as to hard plastic cogs

15th September, 2008, 11:59 PM
Check out wizard sat and southern satellite they are really cheap but southern sat are known to be more reliable

rod
24th September, 2008, 10:37 AM
hi guys I'm thinking to buy a dreambox, do you think this dish is good, sorry about my English

90 CM MOTORISED DISH PACK SOLID - ?69.00 : Wizard Satellite, Satellite receivers, dishes, lnbs and equipment (http://wizardsatellite.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_21&products_id=215)

Curious123
24th September, 2008, 02:32 PM
I am sure they were doing the same deal few months ago but supplying a 1m dish rather than the 90cm dish for the same price. I would haggle and get them to upgrade the dish to a 1m for the same price. I got my 1m dish and motor from them last Christmas but mine cost me ?125. The dish is the ISS dish which some people say is a little on the cheap side but mines been fine for the last nine months.

yamar1
25th September, 2008, 09:37 PM
i have a dreambox 7020 (waiting on it coming),90cm technomate dish, technomate usals motor and 0.2db lemon universal lnb.

i would opt for a motor mate gives soo many more options.

lnb get a one with the lowest db, eg 0.2db is far better than 0.6db

technomates are the easiest recievers to use but dreamboxes are far more advanced with a lot more possiblities.

the darkmotor is a rip off, its just a standard OEM motor with new packaging;) and a price increase from their shop, but as stated get one with metal gearing as to hard plastic cogs

already got openmedia box so il have to learn with that, seems a great box anyway. got a lemon0.2db lnb (when it turns up!!) just need a dish and motor theres a shop quite near who does sat stuff on ebay so i might have a look in there.

25th September, 2008, 10:58 PM
Wizard sat and southern sat are often cheaper than fleabay. I take it you want a 90cm dish and a metal gears motor. Is this right? You should find the pair of these for 65 to 80 quid. Good luck.

yamar1
28th September, 2008, 07:29 PM
I am sure they were doing the same deal few months ago but supplying a 1m dish rather than the 90cm dish for the same price. I would haggle and get them to upgrade the dish to a 1m for the same price. I got my 1m dish and motor from them last Christmas but mine cost me ?125. The dish is the ISS dish which some people say is a little on the cheap side but mines been fine for the last nine months.

they also have a 85cm mesh dish pakage for the same price, is there much difference between 85cm mesh dish and the 90cm solid dish they are offering, (apart from the size of course!). and are wizzard sat reliable???:confused:

28th September, 2008, 09:51 PM
they also have a 85cm mesh dish pakage for the same price, is there much difference between 85cm mesh dish and the 90cm solid dish they are offering, (apart from the size of course!). and are wizzard sat reliable???:confused:

Yes theyre reliable but if you wanna speak to them over the phone for whatever reason then you have problems coz they dont answer the phone or reply to emails no matter how much you try.

29th September, 2008, 12:39 AM
Oh.. Upload pics of your setup when your finished please in the 'show us your satellite setup' thread as im sure some of your helpers wont mind looking at it.

yamar1
29th September, 2008, 08:05 PM
Oh.. Upload pics of your setup when your finished please in the 'show us your satellite setup' thread as im sure some of your helpers wont mind looking at it.

Will do m8, any comments on the 85cm mesh or the 90cm solid dish setup, which one is the better???

oo7
3rd October, 2008, 12:10 PM
Hi,

does the southern sat provide similar package to wizard satellite. i.e. dish, motor , lnb , etc..

thanks
oo7

oo7
3rd October, 2008, 12:12 PM
hello,

i want to receive following channel in Eurobirn 9 (live in london).
could somebody please tell me whether 90cm dish with .2LnB is good enough to receive the channel.
Eurobird 9?? 9E (http://www.digitalsat.co.uk/eurobird9.html)
channel names
TV Lanka Channel 2
Dan Lanka.

and also How do i know whether these channels are encrypted?

thanks
oo7

krazylegz
3rd October, 2008, 12:24 PM
a 90cm is more than enough m8 you could receive that bird with a 50cm dish but i'd recommend keeping the 90cm incase you want any other satellites in future, and yeah a 0.2db lnb is good m8.

the channels are free m8 so not encrypted:)

oo7
3rd October, 2008, 04:05 PM
Hi,

many thanks for the information. now i want to know whether the wizard satellite dish set is ok ... (i mean is it reliable). I check for 100cm it cost ?79.

i will also have to buy a setup box. which one normally people recomnd is it dm500s or a technomate.

regards
oo7

3rd October, 2008, 04:26 PM
A 80cm with a .2db will do in london. Them channels are fta so good luck.
As regards to yamar1, the two dishes are very similar but id opt for 90cm for those days when the rain doesnt wanna stop.

khan
3rd October, 2008, 08:18 PM
hi mate

i would say go for the 100cm. it will give u more then the expensive lnb
plus future proof.
carefull with council they night ask you 4 planning permission.
i think 90cm is allowed.

3rd October, 2008, 10:30 PM
But then again i think he is looking for a bundled offer so maybe 90's all he can spend on in the addiction of satellites. Iv a ninety just to the west of him and i receive most channels worth the money. The only thing im missing is showtime as they show every prem match but then again id need a CS receiver to 90 will be fine.

yamar1
5th October, 2008, 05:32 PM
would a 1m dish pick up showtime?

5th October, 2008, 09:51 PM
Nope. A 1m would barely work in the south east never mind the north east. If a 1m worked id buy one now.

oo7
5th October, 2008, 10:07 PM
hi,

i am not sure whether i should create another post for this anyway i ll ask from you guys..

i would like ot knoe wich satellite receive i should go for.
1)dM500S
2)tecnomate (ni idea which model)

i should be able to save it to a hard drive and also it should have lan connection. does both of tem can control a motorise satellite disk. i.e. if i buy a dm500s, do i need to by any additional unit to control the dish?

thanks in advance
oo7

5th October, 2008, 10:59 PM
A technomate is the ideal starter box and is very user friendly but none of them have harddrive capability unless you use a usb external hdd. The sad thing is none of the technomates have ethernet ports. However the dreamboxes are much more advanced so hopefully a owner of both can really help you out. The 9100 is the only tm which is ethernet capable but this is a linux receiver.

yamar1
6th October, 2008, 05:38 PM
Nope. A 1m would barely work in the south east never mind the north east. If a 1m worked id buy one now.

:thumpdown:shame, seems like theres plenty footy on there!

yamar1
6th October, 2008, 05:43 PM
hi,

i am not sure whether i should create another post for this anyway i ll ask from you guys..

i would like ot knoe wich satellite receive i should go for.
1)dM500S
2)tecnomate (ni idea which model)

i should be able to save it to a hard drive and also it should have lan connection. does both of tem can control a motorise satellite disk. i.e. if i buy a dm500s, do i need to by any additional unit to control the dish?

thanks in advance
oo7

why mot go for an openmedia (basicly 2 dreamboxes in one, twin tuner) as it will drive a motor on a dish, plus you get the benifit of cable thrown in. check out openmedia section you also get a discount!;)

yamar1
7th October, 2008, 07:30 PM
anyone tell me if RG6 cable is ok to hook up outside to a motorised dish (if not what is?) iv read conflicting reports! the length is around 15-20m?

8th October, 2008, 11:08 PM
Rg6 cable should be fine. I dont see no problems. 20 metres will be fine too, mines about that long. But make sure you dont make any sharp bends in the wire.