PDA

View Full Version : PS3 and PS3 slim

ttohme
22nd December, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hey guys,

what's the difference between the 2 consoles? Any new features in the PS3 slim?

thanks

calvin plummer
22nd December, 2009, 02:28 PM
PS3 Slim: Everything you need to know | Crave - CNET (http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10313110-1.html)

the slim is also quieter and uses less power though there are a few uncomfirmed reports of a higher failure rate. Early days to be sure though

NewBirth2010
18th January, 2010, 06:55 PM
They play the same games at the same speed. If you have an old PS3, no need to upgrade !!!

rabadab
18th January, 2010, 06:58 PM
just a slimmer model with bigger hardrive

Raven
18th January, 2010, 09:12 PM
Not just that though, you all forgot to mention it looks ugly, which is purely subjective, but what you also forgot to mention was that the Slim specifically uses around half the power of the bigger models to do the exact same job - another thing you omitted to mention is the fact that the PS3 Slim is the only one to do HD Audio bitstreaming or DTS Bitstream or whatever it's name is. Those are more important differences besides the price with regards to the differences between the Slim and the older models.

I don't know eh, leave it to good ol' Raven to sort out people's PS3 questions... ;)

calvin plummer
19th January, 2010, 03:02 AM
But on the other hand they've stripped all backwards compatibility out......so depends how important your ps2 collection is I guess

NewBirth2010
19th January, 2010, 06:55 AM
......... another thing you omitted to mention is the fact that the PS3 Slim is the only one to do HD Audio bitstreaming or DTS Bitstream or whatever it's name is. .................

Before you go chucking your old PS3 systems out the window saying "OMG it's totally worthless!" remember this: you should actually know what bitstream is and what it means to the average consumer. First-generation PS3s can output in TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, but they can only do so through linear PCM. While this works quite well for most receivers, some audiophiles need support for bitstream audio when handling uncompressed sound. If you're already getting confused by the terminology, the new PS3 has nothing you can really benefit from.

Michael

IMDB:

7thsinger
19th January, 2010, 11:09 PM
But on the other hand they've stripped all backwards compatibility out......so depends how important your ps2 collection is I guess

That's the point i was going to mention. The lack of bwc while a big deal to some, is not to others.

If you're interested in playing your ps2 games on it, stick with the older ones.

bigmark1966
20th January, 2010, 11:48 AM
i got an older ps3 wont play ps2 games any idea iff an update will b out
thnx....ps its the 80gig one.

NewBirth2010
20th January, 2010, 03:09 PM
No it won?t work "bigmark1966". You probably have the lattest version of the old model which also stripped the ability to play PS2 games out .

sirlisterofsmeg
20th January, 2010, 08:47 PM
The only UK version that played PS2 games was the original 60Gig model.
these only played them via software and not the "emotion Chip" that was used in the JAP & US models so not all PS2 games worked.
Sony discontinued production of these models soon after release as the lost $100's on each unit sold.
You can tell a 60Gig from other UK models as the 60's have 4 USB ports on the front as opposed to only 2 on all other models
The 60's also have a multi-card reader under a flap next to the disc slot.
They stopped production in 2008 so you will never find a new one for sale.
If you really want a PS3 with PS2 compatibility then your only option is a 2nd hand unit which can be a gamble.
other wise you could try somewhere like CEX who give 1 year warranty even on 2nd hand units
But they are getting rarer &rarer to find nowadays and still command a premium price over other units.

Another big difference between FAT & SLIM PS3's is that SONY have removed the option to install other OS (LINUX) on the slims but that is for another thread

SiesMAN
20th January, 2010, 08:51 PM
the slim takes up much less power

Evasion-Lv6
30th January, 2010, 12:07 AM
The only UK version that
Another big difference between FAT & SLIM PS3's is that SONY have removed the option to install other OS (LINUX) on the slims but that is for another thread
& because of that ^ buying a slim ps3 is more like a downgrade. You should check out a project called zerogame lets you install custom build and options + drivers for linux to play roms from multiple retro consoles on the ps3 using 1 front end with the app he has tweaked. I'm pretty pissed that if my ps3 dies the fat ps3's are no longer available to buy bnib so I won't be able to do the above anymore.

huzman43
4th February, 2010, 08:12 PM
hi thank's

ssb1991
7th February, 2010, 02:19 PM
:) I prefer slim