PDA

View Full Version : cluster needle removal

tima
22nd December, 2009, 02:56 PM
so I'm seeing that with many clusters, needle removal is quite necessary to access the appropriate eprom.

Wondering if anyone can provide any tips or tricks or possibly some ideas on tools that will help pull needles off without damaging them.

thanks
tima

PremierD
22nd December, 2009, 03:01 PM
so I'm seeing that with many clusters, needle removal is quite necessary to access the appropriate eprom.

Wondering if anyone can provide any tips or tricks or possibly some ideas on tools that will help pull needles off without damaging them.

thanks
tima

It entirely depends on the cluster mate ... some will twist off easily ... some won't.. some require you to hold the shaft while twisting and then my favorite one is the TTS method ...(two tea spoons)....:flowers:

tima
22nd December, 2009, 03:07 PM
thanks for the reply.

will the TTS method work for Honda's, Toyota's or Hyundai's?

PremierD
22nd December, 2009, 03:35 PM
thanks for the reply.

will the TTS method work for Honda's, Toyota's or Hyundai's?

Yep .. but sometimes on hondas it lifts the shaft out as well ...Just be carefull

scooby99
22nd December, 2009, 09:56 PM
i use your tts too,but some just twist anti clockwise and pull

cheers

scooby99

z786
22nd December, 2009, 10:07 PM
Yep .. but sometimes on hondas it lifts the shaft out as well ...Just be carefull

i only know too well mate lol

civic cluster :(

alsong as you push em back in firmly (not 2 hard) they function ok

PremierD
22nd December, 2009, 10:10 PM
i only know too well mate lol

civic cluster :(

alsong as you push em back in firmly (not 2 hard) they function ok

Only the Temp and fuel gauge though mate .. lol

And when you make a horses ass of X5 clusters ... simply remove the springs that you (or someone else ) has fcuked ....they also work ...(not that I would know you know ).. lol

z786
22nd December, 2009, 10:13 PM
better 2 do them via sw13 lead dont u reckon???? the hondas that it

maybe the earlier x5s also

Meat-Head
22nd December, 2009, 10:17 PM
And when you make a horses ass of X5 clusters ... simply remove the springs that you (or someone else ) has fcuked ....they also work ...(not that I would know you know ).. lol

TIP OF THE DAY: Sponsered by Meat-Head Motors

When refitting parts off customers cars, save weight and fuel for the customer, by converting the door panels from '6 screw fixing' to 'four screw fixing', alternators and starts, convert them from 4 bolt fixing to 3 bolt fixing, then at the end of the WEEK you can weigh all them bolts in for scrap and make ?XXXx

TIP OF THE DAY: Sponsered by Meat-Head Motors

PremierD
22nd December, 2009, 10:33 PM
better 2 do them via sw13 lead dont u reckon????

Nah! old school mate ... And I'm a dab hand at it now ... yes I have the lead ... but seen to many that had some problem or another after using it ... rip them to bits (carefully of course) ... then you have no problems .... ( apart from the odd gubbed spring in the early days ....).. I always remove 908's 912's 9s12's ... every MCU that may have a problem reading ..all eeproms ... It only takes an extra minuite or two ..but then you have always got Data to reserect.. a dash or two ( I fcuked a Lotus elise cluster by using my dashboard package).. And not removing MCU ... nearly cost me ?2000.00... Since then ..no chances taken mate ....OLD School.. for an old'ish head...

cristec
22nd December, 2009, 10:33 PM
Also it's worth turning the pointers gently anticlockwise, to see where they come to a stop, and making a note of the position, some go beyond the marking's on the gauge.

HTH

Meat-Head
22nd December, 2009, 10:36 PM
( I fcuked a Lotus elise cluster by using my dashboard package).. And not removing MCU ... nearly cost me ?2000.00... Since then ..no chances taken mate ....OLD School.. for an old'ish head...

CRINGE what did you do to recify the problem?

more to the point what went wrong?

thanks

PremierD
22nd December, 2009, 11:16 PM
CRINGE what did you do to recify the problem?

more to the point what went wrong?

thanks

Well .Mate.. to rectify it I told him to Foxtrot Oscar ... He could'nt do it so I did it as a favour ... If it had been a punter then I was het for the repair ......And how I fcuked it was I connected the four wires to it and read it .... it was all fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff's (fcuked ).... Somehow the software blanked it ... my guy said that it SHOULD have read it ... But he was sorry ( and so was I)..Hav'nt heard from the Lotus Guy since .....can't think why )...Can you mate...?

Meat-Head
23rd December, 2009, 07:10 PM
Well .Mate.. to rectify it I told him to Foxtrot Oscar ... He could'nt do it so I did it as a favour ... If it had been a punter then I was het for the repair ......And how I fcuked it was I connected the four wires to it and read it .... it was all fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff's (fcuked ).... Somehow the software blanked it ... my guy said that it SHOULD have read it ... But he was sorry ( and so was I)..Hav'nt heard from the Lotus Guy since .....can't think why )...Can you mate...?

*Confused*

So it was another milage correction persons job, and as a favour you read it and it corrupted the data.

Could your dashboard people not have a 'spare' dump for you to reload, then change the data to what was required *confused* thanks