PDA

View Full Version : Most Likely Cause for ME 2.8.1 to brick after OBD2 Flash?

W221
19th June, 2019, 04:13 AM
I am working on a Bosch ME 2.8.1 from a Mercedes-Benz M113k platform that has been bricked by someone attempting a flash over OBD2. I was told after the flash completed using a Galletto OBD2 cable (reporting a success), the "radiator fan remained on high and vehicle would not start." I was not present when the flashing operation took place, however it clearly sounded like a non-responsive ECU so I decided to take a look at it on the bench. It will read out the flash contents over K-line fine from Boot Mode using a ByteShooter (and also KTAG successfully reads EEPROM, flash, etc. fine). However, a diagnostic connection cannot be established with the unit using Vediamo or AVDI. Could it possibly be checksum related?

Am I correct that the Galletto device should generally be off-limits to the other ICs, and restricted only to the Flash IC (which would support the idea that the flash is corrupted) or could another glitch have taken place causing the ECU to fault somewhere else? It clearly sends the seed-key to the ECU before the flashing process begins to raise the security access level, and proceeds in erasing and flashing the ECU.

I have removed the IMMO data from the EEPROM and written it back, however it still will not respond to a diagnostic session request. Any ideas on reviving this ECU would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

lsdlsd88
19th June, 2019, 05:21 PM
im not sure if you already wrote the stock file on it?

W221
30th June, 2019, 05:19 AM
im not sure if you already wrote the stock file on it?

Thank you for the reply, and my apologies for the delay in replying back.

The original file for that particular MB part number ME was not available to me. The ME is from an R230 M113k, and I have stock flash files from W211 M113k vehicles and attempted to write one of those, which reported successful, but still was unable to establish a diagnostic session.

The ST 95C08 appears to be unpredictable. When attempting to virginize it when removed from the ECU, it took several writes before it replaced all of the old data, and I still feel I need to perform some addtional verifcation that it was written correctly.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but my thinking is that it is that the 95C08 would be virtually off-limits to the Galletto software to alter the data on it, and that the flash IC is the only IC the Galletto software is configured to modify the contents of, so I suspect this a isolates the issue to the flash that contains the maps for the ECU?

Would the ME refuse to come up correctly in normal mode if, for example, a stock W211 M113K flash image, unaltered, was written to this ME, or would the EEPROM contain identifying information that the ME uses to check the integrity of the flash data, looking for the R230 information?

It seems this is not a very uncommon issue, and from the research I have done, they are can usually be corrected to be functional again.

ECU is a 113 153 62 79

Bosch 261 208 403

HW 38.03

ziim
30th June, 2019, 07:23 AM
Same problem but in me 7.5

W221
5th July, 2019, 01:34 AM
Same problem but in me 7.5

Same as in your attempted a tune over OBD2 and after reporting success it rendered the vehicle immobile and would no longer start?

Did you also use Galletto (I think it is a cheap Chinese clone - I wasn't the one that flashed any of them - only got the sent to me to evaluate) to flash this ECU? I am still researching this to get to attempt to determine the root cause. I am aware of several that has had the same outcome, but they are also ME 2.8.1 ECUs.

I have been very busy with other important projects as of late, but am going to continue researching this. When I have more information that I feel will benefit the community I will post it.

Please share your experience as well.

Thank you.