PDA

View Full Version : EX5000 Blocky Channels/No Signal

PhillyRob
15th September, 2008, 07:52 PM
Hi,

Have had my Eurovox EX5000 for about a month now and all was fine. Picked up all channels and only a couple of movie channels were blocky. Had it on all day the other day and gradually some channels began losing signal and getting blocky. By the end of the night ALL channels were blocky and breaking up constantly or just no signal at all... Since then havent been able to pick up any channels whatsoever - even the freeviews! All say no or bad signal. All channels fine on N*L box through splitter. (tried removing the splitter and direct feed but same). Tried flashing again with 2 different versions and still same. Checked all connections, scart etc, losing will to live!

Any help much appreciated....

Phil

P.S. I set a box up for my mate and his one had no problem with the 2 blocky movie channels - they were fine on his, then plugged mine back in and still blocky... (faulty box???)

portbhoy
15th September, 2008, 08:14 PM
Begining to see posts like this for that box, think it may have an inherent fault. Reflash just to eliminate any doubt but I think it may be time to contact your supplier for a refund.

PhillyRob
15th September, 2008, 08:21 PM
Tried flashing it a few times with different firmwares and factory resets, but still the same. Do you think its worth me buying attenuators/boosters to try them or am i wasting my time?

Bought it off ebay and threw the box out after it was working for a couple of weeks!! D'oh!

portbhoy
15th September, 2008, 08:26 PM
If other boxes work it's not that mate, dont know what you would do now with no box? Buy another and use the box to send it back, first contact the seller. Who was it out of interest?

PhillyRob
15th September, 2008, 08:37 PM
Dazo101 was the user. Has got good 100% feedback and seems to sell loads of them so dont think anything wrong with ones he's selling.

I set my mates one up in my house before all the channels went - was only the 2 movie channels that were playing up at the time, but they both worked on his. Will pop over his house some time and try it through his connection maybe. Just dont know why all of a sudden it stopped working. Was gradual throughout the day as well - not like something went pop!

portbhoy
15th September, 2008, 08:43 PM
Yeh good idea, try another connection first ;)

PhillyRob
15th September, 2008, 08:52 PM
Dont know when will get chance to go over his place but will post back with my findings! Will see if i can get hold of a booster/attenuator aswell in the meantime as read on some posts that they solved some peoples problems...

Thanks for your replies anyway portbhoy...

Barnsley Bill
15th September, 2008, 08:58 PM
Dare i say..press the info button on the remote twice..wot signal quality on a bad channel.

PhillyRob
15th September, 2008, 09:12 PM
"on a bad channel" - there arent any good channels any more! lol

Bounces back and fore between 78 and 82% on both level and quality. Think it has always been like that - when they were working as well.

<--PhillyRob added 3 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...-->

ITV2 bounces between 81-85%

<--PhillyRob added 3 Minutes and 21 Seconds later...-->

All programme guides work on the epg as well by the way. All channels coming up with absolutely no picture - just black and the no or bad signal message popping up. Only thing i get any life out of it now and again bits of an image and sound on adult freeview channel (i stumbled across it honestly!!).

Barnsley Bill
15th September, 2008, 09:38 PM
well..those % are perfect,as to be a dodgy tuner,if ya mates box works on your feed..theres no other explanation..id send a nice mail to the dealer explaining,that you have no box and will provide proof of purchase thru your ebay reciept.goodluck

PhillyRob
15th September, 2008, 09:46 PM
Ok, thanks Bill.

Any ideas why it would suddenly go like this though after it was working perfectly for a couple of weeks??

portbhoy
16th September, 2008, 12:16 AM
Same reason all electronics break down GREMLINS :banghead:

PhillyRob
18th September, 2008, 09:59 AM
Ok, for anyone who's interested, my box is NOT FAULTY!!! I took it up my mates house and tried it on his cable and it worked fine. All channels perfect reception (including the 2 movie channels which were originally giving me trouble in my house). Plugged it back in in my house and back to no signal on every channel. So something must have changed to do with the signal coming into my house.... Off to Maplin after to buy an attenuator to try that, if that doesnt work then i'm swapping boxes with my mate!

PhillyRob
22nd September, 2008, 08:02 PM
Ok, another update...

Swapped boxes with my mate and his is the same here now. All channels no signal :(

Just bought an attenuator and had some kind of result with it - some channels actually get a signal!!! Cant get any of them to a watchable state though no matter how much i fiddle with the variable setting on the attenuator. Any ideas what i can try next anyone....??? ....Please!?

thered
23rd September, 2008, 10:33 PM
are you using the same cable at your house with your mates box as you use for your own mto me it sounds like a dodgy end on the wire try another cable and two new ends ive had all mine go b4 about a week after the bloke installed it turned out to be a faulty end changed wire that was it

if you havnt got a spare try your mates save you buying it to make sure

PhillyRob
24th September, 2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks the red for your suggestion. However, i have tried the box on my broadband cable upstairs as well and same thing. All channels are fine on n*l box so dont think theres anything wrong with the cabling?

Is there anything else you think i should try?

Do you think its worth me trying a signal booster or am i wasting my money?! Think the signal may be too strong rather than too weak because with the attenuator i start getting a slight picture/sound when i turn it up and the signal drops to around 70%. Without the attenuator it is on over 80%. I may try buying a fixed attenuator as well first to try and weaken it a bit more... Think it may be down to noise or interference though rather than the signal strength??

leebaily
24th September, 2008, 12:15 PM
reflash and try a booster

thered
24th September, 2008, 01:35 PM
you say you tried the box upstairs with your broadband and it was fine yes?

but did you use the same cable lead and end that was already in your broadband connection that is working ok?

if not take your cable that comes into your broadband connection downstairs and swap it over

i dont believe a booster will do any good i am more or less certain you need a new cable and ends

PhillyRob
24th September, 2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks both for your suggestions.

I've reflashed with all available firmwares and have done a factory reset. Will try a booster...

No, it didnt work upstairs on broadband cable - was exactly same as downstairs. My N*L box works fine through the same cable so cant see it being an issue with that?

Is well frustrating especially after it was working fine for a few weeks!

thered
24th September, 2008, 07:14 PM
i havent got your box but if its the same fitting as the max v it will have a different end to your ntl connection at least mine does a screw in or seperate end altogether would that be correct?

if it works at your mates and your virgin box works ok on your feed your signal and box must both be fine

can you at least not try one

it might seem like im banging on but its happened to me and i no its happened to other people even if it looks ok

failing that you could try a booster get one out of argos if it doesnt work at least you will get your money back

PhillyRob
24th September, 2008, 09:24 PM
Yeah no problem, if it went wrong for other people then its worth looking at. Yes you are right, they do have different connections and my box came with the little adapter (a coax to F adapter??). I am not using that when plugged in downstairs as i have another lead with the right end coming from the splitter. I did use the little adapter when i tried it upstairs straight from the broadband feed and when tried it downstairs without the splitter. No channels/signal in all cases.

Will buy a booster from argos tomorrow (hopefully not too expensive?!) and post back with my findings (and hopefully some good news!).

thered
24th September, 2008, 09:28 PM
yeh let us know

PhillyRob
26th September, 2008, 08:49 PM
Ok, I managed to get hold of a booster in argos earlier!

...Unfortunately thats the end of the good news... it didnt work! :( lol.

Seemed to have no effect whatsoever for me! When it was turned all the way down the signal bounces between 8% and 99% constantly, no picture. Set to middle, bounces between 80 and 85, no picture. Turned to full, bounces between 80 and 85, no picture.

With the variable attenuator plugged in as well it has the same effect as the variable attenuator has on its own - when it drops the signal down to 72-74 start to get some kind of picture.

...And before anyone asks, yes i did have the booster plugged in and switched on :P

Am now thinking it may be some interference or noise issue perhaps??

I'm starting to lose the will to live now!!

thered
26th September, 2008, 09:42 PM
i didnt think it was a signal problem m8 i dont think you are connecting the end together properly

think about it

your box works fine at your mates so your box is ok
your mates box doesnt work at yours

somewhere in the chain at your house a connection is not fitted properly a dodgy connection can result in

certain channels not appearing even maybe 1 or 2 which you have had

constant picture break up or no picture at all

somewhere inside or maybe even on the wall ouside your connection is broken i advise new cable and ends make doubly sure they are inserted correctly no straggly wires ect all connections are 100% secure

you may be surprised

if that doesnt fix it you must have been cut off

PhillyRob
26th September, 2008, 10:09 PM
But my NTL box picks up every channel perfectly!!??! So did my eurovox up until one day about a month ago when gradually through the day they got worse until no signal...

Cant see why NTL box would be fine if cabling was foofed, and i have tried different connectors into Eurovox as you suggested.

All i can think now is that its some issue with noise or interference in the signal that ntl box can cope with but eurovox cant???

thered
26th September, 2008, 10:22 PM
get your mates cable from his house that works and try it youve got nowt to lose your ntl has a different connection and probably a stronger tuner

a dodgy end will get worse over time

PhillyRob
26th September, 2008, 10:31 PM
Yeah ok, I'll give that a try then... havent got any other ideas now anyway! lol

thered
26th September, 2008, 10:34 PM
let us know

garry35
29th September, 2008, 02:53 AM
are you and your mate in the same area or in using different frequencies ? do a powerscan and see if that helps and also confirm the settings are for the correct provider for your area. check for visible signs of damage to the cable. and if all else fails complain to VM. also try using a different cdf file

dobbyboy
30th September, 2008, 07:35 PM
Hi,

Have had my Eurovox EX5000 for about a month now and all was fine. Picked up all channels and only a couple of movie channels were blocky. Had it on all day the other day and gradually some channels began losing signal and getting blocky. By the end of the night ALL channels were blocky and breaking up constantly or just no signal at all... Since then havent been able to pick up any channels whatsoever - even the freeviews! All say no or bad signal. All channels fine on N*L box through splitter. (tried removing the splitter and direct feed but same). Tried flashing again with 2 different versions and still same. Checked all connections, scart etc, losing will to live!

Any help much appreciated....

Phil

P.S. I set a box up for my mate and his one had no problem with the 2 blocky movie channels - they were fine on his, then plugged mine back in and still blocky... (faulty box???)

Hi phillyrob,

I understand you pain mate my eurovox max2008 was working mint until friday when all the channels suddenly decided to go snap/crackle/pop!. Gutted!! now i've been trying to contact the guy on ebay which i bought it and he never gets back to me about it!. I've had it about 6 weeks in total tryed scanning (fast/manual) loads of times and changing bands. doing my head in!!!. The only thing i aint did is put firmware on (even tho it came with it pre-installed on. Don't know where to get it from?. Anyone no? Let me know if you manage to fix your problem with the box mate.

thered
1st October, 2008, 11:16 AM
YOU CAN GET THE FIRMWARE OF HERE M8 ON THE D/LOAD SECTION

dobbyboy
1st October, 2008, 08:56 PM
i've updated me eurovox again and did a full scan and its not picking many channels up again and all ways says no signal!!! I'm well cheesed off with this box!! ebay seller is a S**t for selling me this clone box and not returning my emails!!!

alanwong78
2nd October, 2008, 09:13 PM
I have had a Eurovox EX1000 SL, running on virgin media. It worked fine for about 3 weeks. It then started to show really blocky picture and sound all mesed up. I thought that the box had a problem, sent it back and received this Eurovox EX5000 PVR . I have exactly the same problem. Shows no signal and its unwatchable.

I have checked all cable and replaced with brand new stuff. I still have the same problem. I think its more to do with some kind of interferance.

Can anybody help????? Really dont know what to do??

Could there be interferance from the power sockets that are interfering??

dobbyboy
4th October, 2008, 07:56 AM
I have had a Eurovox EX1000 SL, running on virgin media. It worked fine for about 3 weeks. It then started to show really blocky picture and sound all mesed up. I thought that the box had a problem, sent it back and received this Eurovox EX5000 PVR . I have exactly the same problem. Shows no signal and its unwatchable.

I have checked all cable and replaced with brand new stuff. I still have the same problem. I think its more to do with some kind of interferance.

Can anybody help????? Really dont know what to do??

Could there be interferance from the power sockets that are interfering??

Been speaking to a guy a work about the problems with the signals with these box's and he reckons it has something to do with a new update been added by the british broadcast company (not sure the proper name). So anyway according to him this has scrambled/ a lot of freeview boxes/bt vision etc. This was applied a couple of weeks ago just before my box went t*ts up!. Weather this is true to vm network is a different matter?. think there will be a new update to resolve this matter. Alot of my mates boxes are going t*ts up now which suggests it cant be the boxes surely???.Typical i was getting into all the football in the prem so far.:banghead:

gmac78
26th January, 2009, 04:26 PM
Hello mate how you doin?

I have recently joined this site because i am having exactly the same problem you were having last year with ur Eurovox with regard to broken picture and sound.

I have a eurovox max v and it has never worked as it should since buying it. I work offshore a lot so only try different solutions when i return home. I am currently working away but looking for new things to try when i get back.

I am wondering if you ever managed to resolve the problem?

Gordon

bigsven
28th January, 2009, 12:24 AM
I have the exact same problem too...

...I've got so annoyed with it that I've gone back to the virgin media box!

Snap crackle and pop made me smile slightly - but then I remembered how annoying it is when you're trying to watch something! Especially when your missus is in your ear about it every 5 seconds!

Seriously f'ing annoying this - I'm sure there must be something we all have in common that is making this happen...

Help me please before I throw it out the window!

HiTeck
28th January, 2009, 12:49 AM
the majority of times this is down to a signal problem and not a problem with your box, it would be easier to help if you all started your own threads explaining the problems your having in as much detail as possible and this will prevent others getting crossed/confusing answer's. :)

bigsven
30th August, 2009, 10:39 PM
I hope this helps as many people as possible.

With regards to the jumpy signal quality/strength and the 'no or bad signal' message - I was just about ready to give up, but I had one last go at sorting it out.

The solution came from an unlikely source.

I unscrewed the cable feed from the f connector/coax adapter and then pulled it right out. Instead of putting it back in fully and screwing it in - I just pushed the cable just into the adaptor, but didn't screw the thread at all - just holding itself in.

This somehow created a consistent signal quality/strength and I can watch all channels with no pixelation and no error messages - its like welcoming back an old friend.

Just in time for the new season.

Be interested to know if this does help anyone?!

(ps I did replace the adaptor months ago and the new one didn't seem to work, so no sure whether to buy another new one and give that a go - but more than happy with it currently, so don't want to risk ruining it!)